Before & after bike ghettos

Old October 10th 10, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan

Default Before & after bike ghettos

Nate Nagel writes:

On 10/01/2010 12:12 AM, Dan O wrote:
On Sep 30, 8:12 pm, Nate wrote:
On 09/30/2010 10:02 PM, Dan O wrote:

On Sep 29, 5:25 pm, Frank wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:04 pm, Nate wrote:

It's like this huge vortex of stupid.

Good phrasing!

Well, maybe, but did you catch the part where he seems to be saying
what's stupid is that motorists don't deliberately wait longer to
brake, so that they charge faster, harder, and closer to cyclists in
order to intimidate them. Nice.

I feel absolutely no guilt about scaring the **** out of scofflaws, so
long as I don't actually hit them. They undoubtedly would be whining
and crying and suing the pants off of a motorist who hit them
unintentionally, so a little adrenaline charge is only fair. It's
called right of way. When you have it, you have it, and when you don't,
you don't. It's how a polite society operates without getting all
stabby with each other.

Fear is an excellent teacher, but you're talking about deliberately
multiplying the risk of injury or death.

(This msg is 500 back ATM.)

Not nearly as much as running stop signs does. In fact, I'd argue
that I don't increase the risk of anything at all, seeing that I've
never hit anyone ever. (NB: I'm talking about those idiots that will
blow signs in heavy traffic, not one of those "tree falls in a forest"
type infractions.)

There's a stop sign I blow pretty regular at the bottom of a hill with a wicked
uphill crossroad with gravel trucks and stuff on it. Oh, baby, oh ;-)

One morning this pickup waited in the fog at the bottom too long, and I knew
he was sitting there to make me stop, so as I came up on the right, on came
his right turn signal and he started to move forward, but he didn't want to
turn right, else he would have by now. I blew past on the right in the fog
and on over the top of a hump on the other side and on down the hill.

Another time on this downhill, a SUV had passed me on the way up, then as we
crested the top of this area... slam bam fog and SUV brake lights and...
hey - check it out! In the fog any light is glowing all over the place...
no lights coming up the hill - book on :-)

(Lot of cows and deer around here, too. darkness, fog, yee-haw! :-)

Old October 10th 10, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Sep 29, 5:25 pm, Frank wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:04 pm, Nate wrote:

[...]

What am I supposed to do - ride like a squid? :-) I got a long way to
go.
Old October 10th 10, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan

Dan O writes:

On Sep 29, 5:25 pm, Frank wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:04 pm, Nate wrote:

[...]

Seriously, though, I am trying to be careful. Whee!
Old October 10th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Oct 9, 8:28 pm, Dan wrote:
Dan O writes:

On Sep 29, 5:25 pm, Frank wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:04 pm, Nate wrote:

[...]

( ... note that the diualogue is continuous, rather than responsive;
so I'm not really talking to muslef 8)
Old October 10th 10, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan

Dan writes:

Dan O writes:

On Sep 29, 5:25 pm, Frank wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:04 pm, Nate wrote:

It's like this huge vortex of stupid.

Good phrasing!

Well, maybe, but did you catch the part where he seems to be saying
what's stupid is that motorists don't deliberately wait longer to
brake, so that they charge faster, harder, and closer to cyclists in
order to intimidate them. Nice.

I feel absolutely no guilt about scaring...

snip

[...]

.... well, okay, I was lucky to miss that big deer... and the black cow, etc...

Old October 10th 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Oct 9, 8:39 pm, Dan wrote:
Dan writes:
Dan O writes:

On Sep 29, 5:25 pm, Frank wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:04 pm, Nate wrote:

[...]

.... but right-of-way wouldn't have saved me in either case!
Old October 10th 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Oct 9, 8:45 pm, Dan O wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:39 pm, Dan wrote:

Dan writes:
Dan O writes:

On Sep 29, 5:25 pm, Frank wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:04 pm, Nate wrote:

[...]

Actually, they probably had the right-of-way.