Dan reads (gasp!) a book

Old February 27th 14, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Dan reads (gasp!) a book

Just scored my copy of "Effective Cycling" (6th Edition). Have only
read the "new" edition Preface and the Introduction so far, but...

Impressions:

Forester's ego and opinionated character show already. (He seems to
consider himself exceptionally smart. Since Frank also considers him
"brilliant", it could be interesting reading.) I can see the
confrontational approach to relations that should make the book
exciting reading.

But he seems to well acknowledge a couple of things. One, that he
learned by doing and thinking about things, and that indeed that is
the only way his readers will learn. He also says something about
developing your own style of riding. These are redeeming factors
completely missing from Frank's approach to disussion with me.

But but he still exudes an "either you do and think my way or you're
wrong". That's something I don't do. I defend the reasoning for my
way, but I never say it's the right way for anyone else.

More thoughts on the whole business of whether I deserve the trouble
that I could avoid by doing it someone else's way, and on the idea that
cars and bikes *are* different and it would be stupid to pretend they're
not; but I've said al that before a million ways.

Old February 27th 14, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 2/27/2014 10:01 AM, Dan O wrote:

Just scored my copy of "Effective Cycling" (6th Edition). Have only
read the "new" edition Preface and the Introduction so far, but...

Impressions:

Forester's ego and opinionated character show already. (He seems to
consider himself exceptionally smart. Since Frank also considers him
"brilliant", it could be interesting reading.) I can see the
confrontational approach to relations that should make the book
exciting reading.[...]

The book badly needs an aggressive editor. As for being exciting,
Forester is not 1/10 the writer his father was.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old February 27th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

WHEN DID YOU LEARN TO READ ?
Old February 28th 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:58:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
WHEN DID YOU LEARN TO READ ?

http://www.rodaleinc.com/products/bo...nger-and-safer
Old February 28th 14, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 08:01:50 -0800 (PST), Dan O
wrote:

Just scored my copy of "Effective Cycling" (6th Edition). Have only
read the "new" edition Preface and the Introduction so far, but...

Impressions:

Forester's ego and opinionated character show already. (He seems to
consider himself exceptionally smart. Since Frank also considers him
"brilliant", it could be interesting reading.) I can see the
confrontational approach to relations that should make the book
exciting reading.

People who exhibit an "exceptionally smart" attitude when writing are
usually engaged on an ego boosting exercise. People who are writing
with the intent of transferring knowledge are usually more interested
in simply getting the information across. Read Stephen Hawking, for
example.

But he seems to well acknowledge a couple of things. One, that he
learned by doing and thinking about things, and that indeed that is
the only way his readers will learn. He also says something about
developing your own style of riding. These are redeeming factors
completely missing from Frank's approach to disussion with me.

But but he still exudes an "either you do and think my way or you're
wrong". That's something I don't do. I defend the reasoning for my
way, but I never say it's the right way for anyone else.

More thoughts on the whole business of whether I deserve the trouble
that I could avoid by doing it someone else's way, and on the idea that
cars and bikes *are* different and it would be stupid to pretend they're
not; but I've said al that before a million ways.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 28th 14, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

Just scored my copy of "Effective Cycling" (6th Edition). Have only
read the "new" edition Preface and the Introduction so far, but...

Impressions:

Forester's ego and opinionated character show already. (He seems to
consider himself exceptionally smart. Since Frank also considers him
"brilliant", it could be interesting reading.) I can see the
confrontational approach to relations that should make the book
exciting reading.

People who exhibit an "exceptionally smart" attitude when writing are
usually engaged on an ego boosting exercise. People who are writing
with the intent of transferring knowledge are usually more interested
in simply getting the information across. Read Stephen Hawking, for
example.

Wouldn't put Hawking in the same paragraph as Forester. The former wants
to educate while the latter wants to show his superlative understanding.
One long anti facility rant without many facts to back up his claims. He
should at least get an editor to fix the sexist macho stuff.

Tedious read. Never got through more than a few chapters. There are
better cycling handbooks out there. Even Franklin if you need a book. Of
course I'm not sure one needs a book to learn how to ride a bike.

Old February 28th 14, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

aha Frank 'VEHICULAR CYCLING' Krygoski !

yeah...I received that once and turned out.

Not pinning Frank to the pole but you know not up to it at the time.

so there's a book. RUN !

'like' the 5 YEAR PLAM, VC is best done as a group where total group weight(speed) equals or betters total vehicle weight(speed)
Old February 28th 14, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, February 28, 2014 8:39:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
aha Frank 'VEHICULAR CYCLING' Krygoski !

yeah...I received that once and turned out.

Not pinning Frank to the pole but you know not up to it at the time.

so there's a book. RUN !

'like' the 5 YEAR PLAM, VC is best done as a group where total group weight(speed) equals or betters total vehicle weight(speed)

on the other paw, the experience ( oh I''m just going around the block)

or exhorting monkeys at the zoo to gear up space travel
is 'like' speaking to a group of drunks I pre AA

Old February 28th 14, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

on the other paw, the experience ( oh I''m just going around the block)

is 'like' speaking to a group of drunks I pre AA

exhorting monkeys at the zoo to gear up space travel

its vral
Old February 28th 14, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

No, but locally we're having an up-tic in injuries and deaths due to facility-related conflicts, primarily "hooks" -- right and left, and often because bicyclists overtake moving traffic and assume that they will be seen or that legal right of way gives them magical protection. I don't know if these cyclists need to read a long rant, but they should at least read the DMV manual (particularly page 6). http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEP...ike_manual.pdf

We're in the middle of learning curve with bicycle facilities, and motorists are just starting to look over their right shoulders for cyclists, and even then, the tiny windows and huge pillars in modern cars can make it hard to see a bike even when the driver is diligent.

-- Jay Beattie.

ESPN reads rbr tony Racing 13 August 4th 06 02:14 AM
Mountain Biker Hits (Gasp!) TREE ROOT, Falls Down 60 Feet SuperG Social Issues 0 July 1st 05 04:16 AM
Mountain Biker Hits (Gasp!) TREE ROOT, Falls Down 60 Feet stevemtbsteve Mountain Biking 17 June 24th 05 10:31 PM
RR: Typical Mountain Biker Goes for ride and (Gasp!) Enjoys Nature! MattB Mountain Biking 4 May 12th 05 02:47 PM
Gasp, cyclists in the middle of the road. Simon Mason UK 19 March 31st 04 05:19 PM