Panniers question

Old March 24th 07, 09:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Campag_nut

Default Panniers question

IT is possible to mount pannier racks without the need to have the little
loops pre brazed onto the frame. My chromo frame doesn't have them

I know of one place that has these things in the States (Old man mountain)
but is there anything around that may be cheaper that does the job?

Wow, I really am in posting form tonight...

Thanks again.

Old March 25th 07, 12:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-03-24, Campag_nut wrote:
IT is possible to mount pannier racks without the need to have the little
loops pre brazed onto the frame. My chromo frame doesn't have them

I know of one place that has these things in the States (Old man mountain)
but is there anything around that may be cheaper that does the job?

Wow, I really am in posting form tonight...

Thanks again.

I've seen panniers racks mounted on the axle (non-QR obviously) and to
the seat stays with little strap clamps, or with a single strut bolted
to the seat stay brace. Neither of these seat stay atachments is as strong
as proper braze-ons but will do the job for modeate loads.

You can also get pannier racks which mount on to your seat post, but
they're for light loads only.

Cheers

Joel

Old March 25th 07, 04:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Campag_nut wrote:
IT is possible to mount pannier racks without the need to have the little
loops pre brazed onto the frame. My chromo frame doesn't have them

P clamps/loops. Ask at a good hardware shop.
go armed with your tube(part of frame) size. If need to get larger, can
padd out with electrician/other tape.
Old March 25th 07, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:01:53 +1000, Terryc wrote:

P clamps/loops. Ask at a good hardware shop.
go armed with your tube(part of frame) size. If need to get larger, can
padd out with electrician/other tape.

Go a reasonable bit larger and use a bit of old tube. That worked fairly
well for me on an old frame. I'm fairly sure I ended up sitting on the
rack once or twice, just for the hell of it.

--
Dave Hughes |
"Remember - if all you have is an axe, every problem
Old March 25th 07, 07:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Campag_nut wrote:
IT is possible to mount pannier racks without the need to have the little
loops pre brazed onto the frame. My chromo frame doesn't have them

I know of one place that has these things in the States (Old man mountain)
but is there anything around that may be cheaper that does the job?

Wow, I really am in posting form tonight...

Thanks again.

What you are after are called "P-clamps", so named
as the look like a P when viewed from above. The
round part of the P goes around the seat stay and
the pannier clamps on to the tail part. Those designed
for bikes sometimes have plastic on them to protect
the frame. Depending on the type of rack you have,
you might need two per side.

My experience with these is that they are OK but not
good for heavy loads. I wouldn't want to load up with
full cycle touring gear (kitchen, stove, tent etc) with
a rack connected to these things. Still, one nice aspect
of them is that they can be placed exactly where the rack
needs them.

I've always got mine from bike shops rather than hardware
stores.

DeF.

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.
Old March 25th 07, 08:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

On Mar 25, 4:17 pm, DeF
wrote:
Campag_nut wrote:
[...]

I used a Topeak rack with panniers. Still got it, if you're
interested. Will send it to you
in return for a donation to a suitable charity.

But.

It will only carry light loads. I carried heavy loads on it. Actually
rode Brisbane to
Cairns with it. But it wobbled. I learned to ride to balance out the
wobble, but it
is a poor alternative.

Second but.

It eventually broke my seat post. Man, those Topeak racks are tough.
This eventually
lead to the demise of the frame, and a new bike with braze-ons.

So it's possible, but not very satisfactory.

Panniers? Robert S. Dean General 6 September 5th 05 03:12 AM
Question about Altura Arran 46 Panniers Tumbleweed UK 5 April 1st 05 04:35 PM
Rather than panniers elyob UK 5 February 9th 05 08:09 PM
WTB: Panniers peter Marketplace 0 December 20th 04 10:13 PM
Panniers. Brian UK 108 August 29th 04 12:05 PM