I have plans

Old September 22nd 05, 08:12 AM
Tony Raven

Default I have plans

Thanks to the people who helped with contact details for James Robinson
and his wooden bent. The msn address works, I paid my $25 last night by
Paypal and this morning I have the plans in my hot little inbox. I feel
a project coming on!

--
Tony

Anon
Old September 22nd 05, 08:53 AM
David Martin

Tony Raven wrote:
Thanks to the people who helped with contact details for James Robinson
and his wooden bent. The msn address works, I paid my $25 last night by
Paypal and this morning I have the plans in my hot little inbox. I feel
a project coming on!

Unfortunately so do I. I spent some time last night researching
Ackerman steering for a potential bent trike..

...d

Old September 22nd 05, 10:27 PM
Wally

David Martin wrote:

Unfortunately so do I. I spent some time last night researching
Ackerman steering for a potential bent trike..

clickety google

Interesting, but is it worth it? Won't it 'ackerise' only at one particular
radius of turn?

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Old September 23rd 05, 12:59 AM
chris French

In message , Wally
writes
David Martin wrote:

Unfortunately so do I. I spent some time last night researching
Ackerman steering for a potential bent trike..

clickety google

Interesting, but is it worth it? Won't it 'ackerise' only at one particular
radius of turn?

No. As the radius of the turn gets smaller, and hence the angle of turn
of the wheels larger the difference in angle between the inner and outer
wheels increases - it's not constant difference
--
Chris French

Old September 23rd 05, 01:40 AM
Jon Senior

Wally wrote:
clickety google

Interesting, but is it worth it? Won't it 'ackerise' only at one particular
radius of turn?

It should 'Ackerise' at all radii (IIRC) since it is to do with ratios
of turning between the wheels.

More details can be found at Peter Eland's excellent site:
http://www.eland.org.uk/steering.html

Jon
Old September 23rd 05, 07:12 AM
paul needham

Tony

Have you been here ?

http://spin.xntrick.co.uk/

this guy has built a 2 * 4 from those plans.

paul

Old September 23rd 05, 07:44 AM
Tony Raven

paul needham wrote:
Tony

Have you been here ?

http://spin.xntrick.co.uk/

this guy has built a 2 * 4 from those plans.

It was Wobbly John's wooden bent at Mildenhall that got me started! The
link to the link he has on his site though is a dead end hence the
questions here.

--
Tony

Anon
Old September 23rd 05, 08:58 AM
Mike Causer

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:40:32 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

Wally wrote:
clickety google

Interesting, but is it worth it? Won't it 'ackerise' only at one
particular radius of turn?

It should 'Ackerise' at all radii (IIRC) since it is to do with ratios of
turning between the wheels.

More details can be found at Peter Eland's excellent site:
http://www.eland.org.uk/steering.html

Up to a point Lord Acker. Ackerman (actually it was Lankenspurger (sp?)
who came up with the theory) was thinking of solid-tyred wheels. With
pneumatic tyres the turning forces are generated because the tyre treads
are at an angle to the wheel, known as "slip-angle". This applies to the
back as well, so the nice neat diagram has to be greatly modified. In
practice most implementations (eg every production car),use less
compensation. How much less depends on
Old September 23rd 05, 08:58 PM
paul needham

Tony

Did you get to ride it ? having got over halfway on the wood bits I think
Wobbly John has under sold his wood working skills mine may have to be
hidden under black wood stain to leave the garage !

Without the rear forks [ the pair weigh 5 pounds before the rear slope is
cut into them ] the frame weighs 11 pounds it is almost impossible to even
turn it on my workmate on your own [ which is much to small to build this on
and can barely grip it ] and no way can I hold it in on my drill press to
drill a hole.

I have had to add a piece under the steering hole to make the 4.5 inches I
needed to reach the threaded portion of the front forks , maybe I chose the
wrong forks ? they came from a £5 kids bike with 20" wheels bought from the
local dump.
Just got a better bike [ there goes another £5 ! ] with 20" alloy wheels
which weighs 250 grams less than the steel one I had , evey little helps !

Paul