Tropical Queensland

Old September 19th 04, 10:57 PM
Paul J

Default Tropical Queensland

Hi all,

I managed to escape the cold, cold winter and got some work up in
Cairns. It's starting to warm up now but, GEEEE WOW. I've been up
here now for 8 weeks. Originally supposed to be only 6 weeks but they
needed more people where I'm working so I'm staying on. Lot's of
really really wide roads with wide wide shoulders and flat and smooth.
And plenty of really decent climbs around, like Kuranda and Gillies.
The only thing is that there just doesn't seem to be any really keen
training groups around, or at least any published that is. I have seen
and riden with quite a few threes and twos and ones. This place is
unbelieveable.

--
Paul J

Old September 20th 04, 05:31 AM
Brad Hubbard

Paul J wrote:

Hi all,

I managed to escape the cold, cold winter and got some work up in
Cairns. It's starting to warm up now but, GEEEE WOW. I've been up
here now for 8 weeks. Originally supposed to be only 6 weeks but they
needed more people where I'm working so I'm staying on. Lot's of
really really wide roads with wide wide shoulders and flat and smooth.
And plenty of really decent climbs around, like Kuranda and Gillies.
The only thing is that there just doesn't seem to be any really keen
training groups around, or at least any published that is. I have seen
and riden with quite a few threes and twos and ones. This place is
unbelieveable.

Hi Paul,

I'm in Hervey Bay so I can relate ;-)

If Cairns is anything like HB you may find the triathlon club/s have
organised, regular rides. Might be worth checking out. Wish some of the
roads around here were a bit better but no complaints about the weather
(I'm ex. Melbourne).

Cheers,
Brad

Old September 20th 04, 10:42 AM
Around Australia Recumbent Style

"Paul J" wrote in message

Hi all,

I managed to escape the cold, cold winter and got some work up in
Cairns. It's starting to warm up now but, GEEEE WOW. I've been up
here now for 8 weeks. Originally supposed to be only 6 weeks but they
needed more people where I'm working so I'm staying on. Lot's of
really really wide roads with wide wide shoulders and flat and smooth.
And plenty of really decent climbs around, like Kuranda and Gillies.
The only thing is that there just doesn't seem to be any really keen
training groups around, or at least any published that is. I have seen
and riden with quite a few threes and twos and ones. This place is
unbelieveable.

--
Paul J

Try contacting http://cairnsbug.org/ and see if they know of anything.
Make sure you have a ride up to and thru Atherton and Herberton. Wonderful
area!

Old September 20th 04, 02:07 PM
EggBeeta

"Brad Hubbard" wrote in message
Paul J wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul

I have recently moved to Townsville. Was in the Townsville - Cairns ride
in August.
A guy at the LBS is part of the NQ cycling "establishment". Will get a
contact for you.

There are plenty of rides here.
SnapperHeads Tri Club have a + - 60k ride Sundays.
A bunch of insomniacs leave the Rising Sun carpark at 0545 Sunday morning
for Woodstock, 80k.
Followed by a V Fast bunch at 0600 who chase them and go on to Calcium, 110k
and the "sane" bunch I go with leave at 0630 for "various" destinations to
give a 60 -80 k ride at about 25km. In about 2 months all these rides will
be an hour earlier due to the HEAT.

I also do a ride on Saturday starting at 0700 from the Ampetheatre on the
Strand (Strand Hotel). Strictly 20kmh and a 25k loop course back to start
then into the C Bar for coffee. A confidence builder for the less
experienced riders and those who have outgrown the cycle paths.

They are just the rides I know of , sure there are lots of club rides too.

Perhaps the reason you dont see anyone is that u are getting up too late.
They ride early up here due to the heat and on the coast the mid morning sea
breeze can be pretty strong.

Cheers

John