Ban bright car lights

Old December 28th 15, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Ban bright car lights

On Monday, 28 December 2015 20:48:02 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 20:43:48 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 28 December 2015 18:53:41 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 18:21:04 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 28 December 2015 17:59:34 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

Yes - a car headlamp is 700 lumen, so my bike light is nearly six times as bright - he had a point.

Well I never, I didn't think you (or any other cyclist) would admit to that. Why did you buy it in the first place?

To see where I am going, what else?

And you never thought it might dazzle others? Do you use full beam all the time in your car?

The full beam on my car does not point at the road surface like my bike light does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU1jRlmsee0

I don't have personal experience of your light, but every single bike I've seen with a bright light has it facing the same as a full beam on a car, straight through the windscreen of oncoming traffic. Unlike cars, bike lights do not have an intricate mechanism for adjusting the beam angle. They're just clamped willy nilly onto the handlebars and probably move a bit when you've been riding over a few bumps.

I can assure you that the clamp on my £400 lamp DOES NOT shift under the odd bump - a £5 one from Lidl may well do.

Old December 28th 15, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 20:52:47 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

[...]

Let me see a photo of your clamped light close up.

And I doubt most cyclists have one that good. In fact every one that's ridden towards me has not, or doesn't give a **** about dazzling car drivers. They don't seem to like it when I dazzle them back though.

Hang on, you paid £400 for a light? Why? You could buy 3 mountain bikes for that.

--
We cannot see the future.
We cannot change the past.
Old December 28th 15, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/light.jpg

And I doubt most cyclists have one that good. In fact every one that's ridden towards me has not, or doesn't give a **** about dazzling car drivers.. They don't seem to like it when I dazzle them back though.

Hang on, you paid £400 for a light? Why?

I wanted the best.
http://www.ultimatesportsengineering...6/six-pack-mk6

You could buy 3 mountain bikes for that.

When I bought my car, I could have bought twenty old bangers for the same money, so what?

Old December 28th 15, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 21:07:04 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 28 December 2015 20:57:57 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

I can assure you that the clamp on my £400 lamp DOES NOT shift under the odd bump - a £5 one from Lidl may well do.

Let me see a photo of your clamped light close up.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/light.jpg

And I doubt most cyclists have one that good. In fact every one that's ridden towards me has not, or doesn't give a **** about dazzling car drivers. They don't seem to like it when I dazzle them back though.

Hang on, you paid £400 for a light? Why?

I wanted the best.
http://www.ultimatesportsengineering...6/six-pack-mk6

Do you have an eyesight problem? Why is it I can cycle with a normal cycle lamp and see where I'm going? We all used to manage with a 0.5 amp bulb connected to two D cells. Ok, I upgraded mine with a 1 amp bulb and fitted industrial grade NiCad batteries (4Ah instead of 1.2Ah) so it lasted longer, but nothing like the overkill of yours. I also wired my tail light to function as a brake light. Do you have a brake light?

You could buy 3 mountain bikes for that.

When I bought my car, I could have bought twenty old bangers for the same money, so what?

Even you don't have unlimited funds. Wasting £400 on a light that could have been spent making your house bigger or nicer, or a longer or better holiday, is silly.

--
A penny saved is ridiculous.
Old December 28th 15, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 21:07:04 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 28 December 2015 20:57:57 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

I can assure you that the clamp on my £400 lamp DOES NOT shift under the odd bump - a £5 one from Lidl may well do.

Let me see a photo of your clamped light close up.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/light.jpg

Is that insured? I'd not want £400 of stuff sat on top of my handlebars. What if you fell off? What if you propped your bike up somewhere and it fell over?

And why is it you have such narrow tyres? Don't they get caught in holes/drains/grooves in a track etc? No wonder cyclists fall off. Tyres on a bike should look like this: http://images.evanscycles.com/produc...-bike-tyre.jpg

--
A penny saved is ridiculous.
Old December 28th 15, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 21:07:04 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 28 December 2015 20:57:57 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

I can assure you that the clamp on my £400 lamp DOES NOT shift under the odd bump - a £5 one from Lidl may well do.

Let me see a photo of your clamped light close up.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/light.jpg

You haven't fitted a mirror :-)

--
A penny saved is ridiculous.
Old December 28th 15, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Monday, 28 December 2015 21:14:32 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

Even you don't have unlimited funds. Wasting £400 on a light that could have been spent making your house bigger or nicer, or a longer or better holiday, is silly.

Two nights in Monaco will swallow up £500 in June - the bike light will last for years and is also superb as a torch.

Old December 28th 15, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 21:20:44 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 28 December 2015 21:14:32 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

Even you don't have unlimited funds. Wasting £400 on a light that could have been spent making your house bigger or nicer, or a longer or better holiday, is silly.

Two nights in Monaco will swallow up £500 in June - the bike light will last for years and is also superb as a torch.

But completely unnecessary for anyone who can see properly. And annoys the hell out of other road users, as you admitted earlier.

A standard car headlamp can illuminate the road well enough for car speeds. Do you cycle 3 times faster than a car?

--
What's soft and warm when you go to bed, but hard and stiff when you wake up?
Vomit.
Old December 28th 15, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Norman Rowing
writes
On 28/12/2015 13:30, Fredxxx wrote:

I don't see your point. The whole point of the Highway Code is that it
is seen as a reasonable interpretation of the law.

But it is not in itself law. You cannot be summoned for failing to
comply with the Highway Code.

The HC tells you that a certain law exists, and gives you a summary of
what it says. Having read the HC, you cannot then claim that you didn't
know that such a law existed, and what it said. [Although, in any case,
ignorance of the law would be no defence.]
--
Ian
Old December 28th 15, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Monday, 28 December 2015 21:28:10 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

Two nights in Monaco will swallow up £500 in June - the bike light will last for years and is also superb as a torch.

But completely unnecessary for anyone who can see properly. And annoys the hell out of other road users, as you admitted earlier.

A standard car headlamp can illuminate the road well enough for car speeds. Do you cycle 3 times faster than a car?

I often cycle infinitely faster than a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ_dL_-cE9w

use lights and wear bright clothes at night, how dim are these cyclists? Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 24 September 12th 10 06:28 AM
Bright Lights II: into the woods Ryan Cousineau Techniques 6 February 4th 09 03:19 PM
Bright lights Ryan Cousineau Techniques 76 January 2nd 09 07:12 AM
Bright lights [email protected] UK 18 November 8th 06 09:08 AM
yokel sees the bright lights! byron27 Australia 22 May 10th 04 05:00 AM