Bleedin' lights :-( Cateye HL-RC230

Old September 29th 04, 09:46 PM
Fred Fragger

Default Bleedin' lights :-( Cateye HL-RC230

Any RC230 owners out there who can give me some advice?

I recently got my lights out of storage but the first two night rides were
blighted when the lights failed much earlier than usual (in the woods and it
was dark mummy!). Tonight I got changed, got the bike out, fitted the lights
(battery having been recharged for exactly the recommended time) only to
realise as soon as I turned them on that I wouldn't be going out. The lights
were weak and became too dim to use after 10 minutes.

Bugger, I only agreed to a steaming great pile of fish and chips tonight
because I knew I could ride the calories off later!

I bought the lights last winter and I know they're at the budget end of the
market with an SLA battery but they worked well enough for quite a few
rides. The lights have 2 x 10W lamps and if I don't use one of the pair for
half the ride (about 12 miles / 1 hour) they usually easily last for the
whole ride. Part of my night route is on roads with street-lights so one
lamp is fine for those sections.

During the summer I discharged the lights a couple of times (not completely)
and recharged the battery per the instructions (the charger is not a "smart"
charger) so I think I've treated the kit well.

So, I don't really want to spend loads of cash on new lights - are there any
replacement batteries / chargers out there worth looking at? Will the
battery "recover" after a few recharging cycles?

Later

Fred

Sitting at the pooter in his lycra when he'd rather be riding :-(

Old September 29th 04, 10:36 PM
Edward Holt

"Fred Fragger" wrote in message
[...]

I had a similar problem - the battery went dead after it's first year and
had to be replaced.
I don't know if it's because I didn't follow the instructions correctly or
not (I thought I had).
There seems to be some very strict guidelines to recharging of those
batteries.
You can actually unscrew the screws on the battery case and buy a non-cateye
lead actetate battery to replace it - that worked out cheaper for me.

I've now ditched the lights for the Cateye EL400 as I don't need all that
power or weight or hassle to recharge - I just cycle about town.

Old September 30th 04, 12:10 AM
Doki

Fred Fragger wrote:
[...]

AFAIK, SLAs are like car batteries. Once they're dead, they're dead. Plates
sulphate and things.

If I were you, I'd unscrew the battery casing, get down to your local RC
model shop / electronics supplier, and make up a NiMH battery that'll fit in
the old casing. Get a suitable charger whilst you're at it, and you'll have
batteries that last longer, and can be recharged *very* quickly. And be
lighter too.

Old October 1st 04, 08:59 PM
Fred Fragger

"Chris Phillipo" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
Subject: Bleedin' lights :-( Cateye HL-RC230
From: "Fred Fragger"
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike

[...]

When you store lights you should charge the battery fully and again
every 6 months if you don't use them. So if you put it away half dead
it probably will never be the same. You can rebuild your battery with
new cell(s) relatively cheaply. While your at it you might even be able
to get cells with more capacity that are the same physical size.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Thanks for the replies chaps

I've been considering buying this battery as an alternative, looks like I'd
get about 2.5 hrs with 2 x 10W which would be nice but it's a bit on the
expensive side - especially as I'd have to buy a charger as well.

http://www.therush.uk.com/catalog/pr...d13cd097dd6302

There is a model shop in town so perhaps I'll go and see them first.

Later

Fred

Old October 2nd 04, 01:19 PM
Doki

Fred Fragger wrote:

Thanks for the replies chaps

I've been considering buying this battery as an alternative, looks
like I'd get about 2.5 hrs with 2 x 10W which would be nice but it's
a bit on the expensive side - especially as I'd have to buy a charger
as well.

http://www.therush.uk.com/catalog/pr...d13cd097dd6302

That looks like a decent price to me - at a first glance, 6x1.2 9ah cells
would cost me £50 or so, and i'd still have to mangle the battery pack.

There is a model shop in town so perhaps I'll go and see them first.