Fixed Roadie Question

Old October 25th 04, 12:25 PM
Gags

Default Fixed Roadie Question

If I am planning on putting together a fixed roadie, am I better off getting
an old road frame or an old track frame??

I am having a look at a track frame this week that is apparantly 60cm from
BB to centre of top tube (I am 6'5")......I will probably get it if it is in
reasonable nick but I thought someone in here might be able to tell me if I
am better off waiting for an old roadie with a big frame???

Whilst on the fixed theme, saw a pretty cool flip-flop hub at the Hillman
Cycles stand.....had two cogs on the fixed side and space for one on the
freewheel side. Guy on the stand said that he bought it down to gauge
interest as a training aid for track riders but he was suprised at the
number of people who were interested in using one on a roadie. He reckons
that the "fixed roadie scene" is much bigger in Melbourne than it is in
Sydney where he reckons there aren't many about.

Ride On,

Gags

Old October 25th 04, 01:13 PM
hippy

Gags
If I am planning on putting together a fixed roadie, am
I better off getting an old road frame or an old track frame??

Riding road? Funnily enough a road frame seems to work well

I am having a look at a track frame this week that is apparantly 60c

from
BB to centre of top tube (I am 6'5")......I will probably get it if i

is in
reasonable nick but I thought someone in here might be able to tell m

if I
am better off waiting for an old roadie with a big frame???

You can certainly ride a track frame on the road, but you need to
have brake hole(s) drilled, the geometry is very tight which means
tricky handling, little chance of fitting fenders or fat tyres, etc.
It's up to you if you wait or not - how often do you see 60cm road
frames appearing? Do you 'want' to wait?

He reckons that the "fixed roadie scene" is much bigger in Melbourne
than it is in Sydney where he reckons there aren't many about.

Isn't that because Sydney drivers are all psychos? That's what I've
been told anyway - never been to see it first hand.

hipp

--
hippy

Old October 25th 04, 04:05 PM
Steve

If the local deal doesn't work out we have our last KHS 61cm Reynolds cromo
track frame, fork & headset in-store here in the West . It has a rear
bridge & fork crown ready for a/key brakes.
Steve @ IDEAL

Gags

Old October 25th 04, 11:37 PM
ritcho

hippy Wrote:
Gags
[...]

I haven't seen many, but I'm sure they're around... maybe they don'
need to ride on the road with the DGV up here?

Sydney drivers are as bad and as good as anywhere - it is the legacy o
the old narrow roads that makes it bike-unfriendly.

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old October 26th 04, 04:47 AM
byron27

Steve Wrote:
If the local deal doesn't work out we have our last KHS 61cm Reynolds
cromo
track frame, fork & headset in-store here in the West . It has a rear
bridge & fork crown ready for a/key brakes.
Steve @ IDEAL

"hippy" wrote in message

Gags
[...]

Get the KHS!
Get the KHS!
ive got a KHS flite 100, big mofo frame and it is great!!
How much for it out of interest steve?

--
byron27

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

Old October 26th 04, 02:59 PM
Steve

"byron27" wrote in message

Steve Wrote:
If the local deal doesn't work out we have our last KHS 61cm Reynolds
cromo
track frame, fork & headset in-store here in the West . It has a rear
bridge & fork crown ready for a/key brakes.
Steve @ IDEAL

"hippy" wrote in message

Gags
[...]

Best offers around $400

Steve @ IDEAL

Old October 26th 04, 10:36 PM
Megan Webb

"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote in message ...
[...]

Just means that fixie riders in Melbourne are more visible at the
moment. Sydney numbers are growing.

When I started riding fixed, I didn't see or know of any fixies. That
has changed.