RAceline bikes

Old October 12th 04, 11:16 AM
maguiver

Default RAceline bikes

Hi all, has anyone some thoughts on the pros and cons of raceline
bikes. had one for years and it was excellent but it got stolen and no
i have insurance money and am ready to buy a new one, am thinking of th
raceline ultra comp or pro. If anyone has previously reviewed thes
bikes id be grateful for any comment

--
maguiver

Old October 12th 04, 12:26 PM
hippy

"maguiver" wrote
Hi all, has anyone some thoughts on the pros and cons of racelines
bikes. had one for years and it was excellent but it got stolen and now
i have insurance money and am ready to buy a new one, am thinking of the
raceline ultra comp or pro. If anyone has previously reviewed these
bikes id be grateful for any comments

Sorry, don't know any, so I'll be a prick and suggest google:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...tra+comp&meta=

hippy
- it really is your friend

Old October 13th 04, 02:08 AM
Bailes

As much as I like to give credit to Aust based companies for a bike of the
level I Would prefer to see a far greater amount of R+D in a product.
Raceline is a division of Apollo bicycle company and basically buy "off the
shelf" frames from Taiwanese frame makers i.e. Giant, Merida ,Apro, Strong ,
etc. A larger company i.e. Specialized Kona Trek do more research into their
product due solely to larger turnover higher budgets and more competitive
markets. It really comes down to the little things as most of these bikes
will be from similar manufacturers. I can't stress enough how important the
shop is also.

Old October 13th 04, 02:55 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
"Bailes" wrote:

A larger company i.e. Specialized Kona Trek do more research into their
product due solely to larger turnover higher budgets and more competitive
markets.

I'd like to know how much of that research is technical and how much is
marketing stuff. I suspect much more of the latter.

--
Shane Stanley
Old October 13th 04, 06:13 AM
Roadie_scum

Bailes Wrote:
As much as I like to give credit to Aust based companies for a bike o
the
level I Would prefer to see a far greater amount of R+D in a product.
Raceline is a division of Apollo bicycle company and basically buy "of
the
shelf" frames from Taiwanese frame makers i.e. Giant, Merida ,Apro
Strong ,
etc. A larger company i.e. Specialized Kona Trek do more research int
their
product due solely to larger turnover higher budgets and mor
competitive
markets. It really comes down to the little things as most of thes
bikes
will be from similar manufacturers. I can't stress enough how importan
the
shop is also.

You mean just like Pinarello (cheaper models), Wilier, Opera (cheape
models), Bianchi, Cervelo (cheaper road models), Fondriest, Cannondal
(who lie about it) and almost every other bike manufacturer under th
sun?

Criminal..

--
Roadie_scum

Old October 13th 04, 06:21 AM
hippy

"Roadie_scum"
You mean just like Pinarello (cheaper models), Wilier, Opera (cheaper
models), Bianchi, Cervelo (cheaper road models), Fondriest, Cannondale
(who lie about it) and almost every other bike manufacturer under the
sun?

Yeah, these days it's almost like: assume the bike is made
in Taiwan unless you can see it in the factory elsewhere or
you're SuzyJ.

hippy
- apologies to any other home-builders I failed to credit :-)

Old October 25th 04, 02:20 PM
ksl

Check out this link to Raceline's 2005 range.

http://www.cyclelink.com.au/category766_1.htm

I must say I quite like the look of the Ultra. Carbon seatstay, Easto
full carbon fork, 10 speed ultegra.

As far as I can tell, the official Raceline site hasn't been upgrade
since 2003

--
ksl

Old October 25th 04, 02:58 PM
Roadie_scum

hippy Wrote:

Yeah, these days it's almost like: assume the bike is made
in Taiwan unless you can see it in the factory elsewhere or
you're SuzyJ.

hippy
- apologies to any other home-builders I failed to credit :-)

My favourite is the frames that are painted in Europe but made i
Taiwan (or worse - Taiwanese products are generally high quality). The
then say 'made in (country in EU)' because the paint job costs more tha
the frame - rule says if more than 50% of the manufacturing expense o
the product is incurred in the country, it's OK. I'm looking at yo
Bianchi, Fondriest, Eddy Merckxx..

--
Roadie_scum

Old October 26th 04, 12:45 AM
hippy

"Roadie_scum"
My favourite is the frames that are painted in Europe but made in
Taiwan (or worse - Taiwanese products are generally high quality). They
then say 'made in (country in EU)' because the paint job costs more than
the frame - rule says if more than 50% of the manufacturing expense of
the product is incurred in the country, it's OK. I'm looking at you
Bianchi, Fondriest, Eddy Merckxx...

So I could score one of these cheap if I happened to
be walking around parts of Asia any time soon?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...s/sep26/clarus

hippy

Old October 26th 04, 01:55 PM
Etxy

I use a Raceline Giro, and I do sometimes get looked down upon because
it's a Raceline...people say that it's Taiwanese or whatever, even
though their bike is too. It used to get to me, but now I'm pretty
relaxed with it. It's a good bike, with a good groupset and components,
and it was reasonably inexpensive for what it is, so I don't care all
that much. It's a sexy looking bike, I think, and from a distance I
wouldn't be able to tell any difference from a Cannondale...

--
Etxy