Newbie question: replacing wheelset

Old April 22nd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Newbie question: replacing wheelset

I'd like to replace my wheelset of my Trek 1000.

I see a lot of specs in the catalogs for manufactured wheelsets, like:
* 26.5mm wide
* 700c
* alloy hub with 36, 14 gauge, Wheelsmith stainless steel spokes in a
3x pattern.
* 8/9 speed Shimano cassette compatible.
* 132.5mm rear axle spacing to fit both 130 and 135mm spaced frames.
* Front spacing is standard 100mm.
* Drilled for schrader valves.

I have an 8 speed cassette. Will any width do? Will any spoke pattern
do? Are these standard front and rear spacing? I see a lot of 700c, so
I'm guessing that the size is also standard.

Thanks for the advice.

Old April 22nd 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Rajah wrote:
I'd like to replace my wheelset of my Trek 1000.

I see a lot of specs in the catalogs for manufactured wheelsets, like:
* 26.5mm wide
* 700c
* alloy hub with 36, 14 gauge, Wheelsmith stainless steel spokes in a
3x pattern.
* 8/9 speed Shimano cassette compatible.
* 132.5mm rear axle spacing to fit both 130 and 135mm spaced frames.
* Front spacing is standard 100mm.
* Drilled for schrader valves.

I have an 8 speed cassette. Will any width do? Will any spoke pattern
do? Are these standard front and rear spacing? I see a lot of 700c, so
I'm guessing that the size is also standard.

Thanks for the advice.

You're presumably looking for cheap wheels? The ones you describe
sound really generic (no-name hub, wide rim, and silly spacing).
They'll work okay on your Trek 1000, but they sound like they might be
of very low quality... do you have a link? Why do you need new wheels,
and how do you ride?

-Vee

Old April 22nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Rajah" wrote:

I'd like to replace my wheelset of my Trek 1000.

I see a lot of specs in the catalogs for manufactured wheelsets, like:
* 26.5mm wide
* 700c
* alloy hub with 36, 14 gauge, Wheelsmith stainless steel spokes in a
3x pattern.
* 8/9 speed Shimano cassette compatible.
* 132.5mm rear axle spacing to fit both 130 and 135mm spaced frames.
* Front spacing is standard 100mm.
* Drilled for schrader valves.

I have an 8 speed cassette. Will any width do? Will any spoke pattern
do? Are these standard front and rear spacing? I see a lot of 700c, so
I'm guessing that the size is also standard.

Your Trek 1000 almost certainly has 130 mm rear spacing and 100 mm front
spacing. I'd recommend 32 or 36 spoke wheels and 3X lacing. Rim width should
be compatible with your tires. See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

Butted spokes make a more durable wheel than plain gauge. Rims with sockets
(sometimes called double eyelets) are less likely to allow a spoke to "pull
through." Above all, the quality of the build is what matters.

For more info see:
http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#materials

Art Harris

Old April 23rd 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Rajah,

What do you need or hope to acomplish by replacing the wheels?

Javier

Old April 23rd 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Rajah wrote:
I'd like to replace my wheelset of my Trek 1000.

I see a lot of specs in the catalogs for manufactured wheelsets, like:
* 26.5mm wide
* 700c
* alloy hub with 36, 14 gauge, Wheelsmith stainless steel spokes in a
3x pattern.
* 8/9 speed Shimano cassette compatible.
* 132.5mm rear axle spacing to fit both 130 and 135mm spaced frames.
* Front spacing is standard 100mm.
* Drilled for schrader valves.

I have an 8 speed cassette. Will any width do? Will any spoke pattern
do? Are these standard front and rear spacing? I see a lot of 700c, so
I'm guessing that the size is also standard.

Thanks for the advice.

Not trying to sell you anything but do you have a good bike shop
nearby, one that won't just try to sell ya something, to talk to? Many
will give lots of free advice, and not just be spring loaded to 'buy a
new Trek' type respnse. Gotta ask what's wrong with the wheels ya got
tho? What problem are you trying to siolve, what question are you
trying to answer?

Old April 24th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I ride 15 miles twice a week, with an occasional 50 mile ride. All
asphalt surface with an occasional crack or railroad track.

I need to replace the back wheel because I broke some spokes, replaced
them, and they promptly broke again. I had a bike shop replace them,
and the when the mechanic predicted that they would not last too long.

I thought it would make sense to replace the front wheel at the same
time, which is why I'm looking for a wheelset.

Old April 24th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Back wheel has a distinct wobble to it, that was not fixed after
replacing and retensioning spokes. The mechanic thought it was on its
last legs.

I would like to keep up a little better with the amateur group ("for
the love of it") that I biked with fairly regularly until I tore my
achilles tendon. (I would get dropped about halfway through the 90
minute ride.) I think that upgrading my wheelset may help this for
mechanical and aerodynamic reasons. Of course, upgrading my ticker
would help too, but I prefer to do by working my legs instead of
surgery.

Old April 24th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Old April 24th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Booker C. Bense wrote:

I don't see why you're being hard on the shop. All we have is a brief
usenet post that wasn't even about a bike shop in the first place. For
all we know, the shop told him the stuff you just said. And the
problem isn't a bent rim at this point; the spokes are failing.
Replacing the rim won't fix that.

-Vee

Newbie Child Seat question Damien Kay UK 4 April 4th 05 09:46 AM
Newbie question about saddles (and sore backsides) Judith UK 9 March 28th 05 12:37 AM
newbie crit question Richard Racing 11 February 21st 05 03:24 AM
Newbie question about tubes and tyres Andy UK 6 July 8th 04 09:05 PM
newbie question re shifting Richard Stanz General 1 October 13th 03 12:05 AM