Replacing Rear Cassette

Old December 25th 06, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Great Eastern

Default Replacing Rear Cassette

Hello All,

I've a "standard" bike with a 6 speed rear casette, however the smallest
cog on the cassette has somehow broken free from the rest (i.e if I
pedal in that gear the chain turns it freely without moving the rest!

Is this an easy task to do? I've managed other repairs in the past like
new chains, brakes etc, or would an appointment at LBS be better?

Many thanks
Old December 25th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Great Eastern wrote on 25/12/2006 19:11 +0100:
Hello All,

I've a "standard" bike with a 6 speed rear casette, however the smallest
cog on the cassette has somehow broken free from the rest (i.e if I
pedal in that gear the chain turns it freely without moving the rest!

Is this an easy task to do? I've managed other repairs in the past like
new chains, brakes etc, or would an appointment at LBS be better?

Many thanks

Fairly easy if you have access to a vice - its likely to be pretty
firmly on if you haven't taken it off since new. A six speed is almost
certainly a freewheel type. You need to buy a freewheel remover of the
right type to fit the splines or pins of the freewheel. Clamp it in the
vice. Mount the freewheel onto it then push down hard and tug on the
rim of the wheel until it breaks free. It may need some grunt and its
easier done with the tyre on than off. Clean and grease the threads on
the hub (and service the bearings while you are at it) then screw on a
new freewheel.

Alternatively take it to the local bike shop and ask them to change it -
its a few minutes with the right tools.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old December 25th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Tony Raven wrote:
[...]

Minor variation which I've found useful;

Put the freewheel remover in a ring spanner or socket on a wrench, and then
hold the spanner's arm in the vice. I don't know why, but I found this
worked better; perhaps the vice I was using had less than perfect jaw
alignment, and the spanner was a better holder of the hexagonal freewheel
remover.

If the remover is of the two or four lumps type (typically Suntour, but
includes others), these have a habit of jumping out of their engagement in
the freewheel. Solve this by using the quick release skewer to hold the
remover lightly against the freewheel (if there is enough movement for it to
rattle, you have it about right). Once the remover has nudged the freewheel
round a little, slacken the skewer. The splined types (eg. Shimano and
others) don't have this problem.

Clean and grease the threads on the hub (and service the bearings
while you are at it) then screw on a new freewheel.

Alternatively take it to the local bike shop and ask them to change
it - its a few minutes with the right tools.

And, if its a friendly local bike shop, possible free removal with purchase
of new freewheel and chain required to complete the repair.
You don't need the removal tool to refit the freewheel, it just screws on by
hand, and the first gentle ride tightens it up. Therefore, you can leave
the bike shop with wheel-sans-freewheel, plus bits to repair, and retire
home to service the bearings.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old December 25th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dave kennedy

Or consult a more experienced member of this group - let us know where you
are and I'm sure someone will have a look at it for you (probably at no
cost).

Old December 26th 06, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Great Eastern

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
And, if its a friendly local bike shop, possible free removal with purchase
of new freewheel and chain required to complete the repair.

Not from my local. Whilst they are good enough for repair etc, it is
impossible even to purchase a chain from them on its own.

We needed a new chain once before and they refused to sell it, unless
the bike was booked in for repair. Eventually had to go out of town to
the Halfords to get the part to save a trip to another town.

I believe our LBS is owned by the one in Lowestoft, its not the same as
when it was owned locally, and other once in the town shut.
Old December 26th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
A.Lee

Great Eastern wrote:

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
And, if its a friendly local bike shop, possible free removal with purchase
of new freewheel and chain required to complete the repair.

We needed a new chain once before and they refused to sell it, unless
the bike was booked in for repair.

Thats comical, a bike shop not selling parts.
Last week a LBS tried to charge me nearly double the price I usually pay
for a chain, I wont even bother going in there again with their pricing,
and general attitude of "thats what they cost", even though it is easily
available at half the price eleswhere.
I wonder why the mail order businesses are doing so well?
Alan.
Old December 26th 06, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Great Eastern wrote:
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
And, if its a friendly local bike shop, possible free removal with
purchase of new freewheel and chain required to complete the repair.

Not from my local. Whilst they are good enough for repair etc, it is
impossible even to purchase a chain from them on its own.

I would classify them as a "not friendly local bike shop". If I felt in a
good mood, I might ask if they thought not selling a chain to someone was an
encouragement to shop on-line. If in a bad mood, I'd stop shopping there.

In general, I don't need the bike shop to carry out repairs, I do my own, I
need it to supply parts.

I could see that they may have a tiny point if they have sold bits to people
who then bugger them up, then come back for "free" support. But, I'd expect
to solve that with a conversation.

Old December 26th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Great Eastern

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
an
encouragement to shop on-line.

Do you/anyone have suggests as to who is good for purchasing online from?

In general, I don't need the bike shop to carry out repairs, I do my own

I'm getting that way, I do most regular tasks now, brakes, chains,
wheels etc, however removing the rear cassette is something I've never
attempted before, and tinkering with an old derelict wheel I have
yesterday, it seems a little tricky.

I could see that they may have a tiny point if they have sold bits to people
who then bugger them up, then come back for "free" support. But, I'd expect
to solve that with a conversation.

About 7-8 years ago I worked in a local computer shop (before the PC
World type business model really flattened the locals) and whilst we
offered full service, we also offered individual parts for those who
wanted to do it themselves - I'm sure this gained more business than
simply using the "we do it or you can go to hell" approach as adopted by
the LBS.
Old December 26th 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Great Eastern

Tony Raven wrote:
You need to buy a freewheel remover of the
right type to fit the splines or pins of the freewheel.

How would I go about finding out which type I need.

I've found a cassette remover for sale which claims to be universal, I
assume this is something extra?
Old December 26th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Great Eastern wrote on 26/12/2006 15:14 +0100:
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
an encouragement to shop on-line.

Do you/anyone have suggests as to who is good for purchasing online from?

General favourites are Chain Reaction (exceptionally good), Wiggle and
Parker International.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com
http://www.wiggle.co.uk
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/