Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Cambridge - 6 Mar 2010

Old February 11th 10, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

Default Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Cambridge - 6 Mar 2010

chris French wrote:
In message
,
thirty-six writes
On 11 Feb, 10:29, "Dave Larrington" wrote:
,
thirty-six tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

Short tread to road contact patch.

The area of the contact patch is what matters, and that - for a given
load
and tyre pressure - is the same irrespective of the diameter of the
wheel.

Never heard of tram tracks or cattle grids? What matters here is that
the slippery obstacle can be spanned. You cannot do this with a short
tread contact.

What!! - God this is even more ******** than usual

I hope the cattle grid can take the weight!

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old February 11th 10, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 11 Feb, 18:47, "A.Dazzle" wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message

On 10 Feb, 21:11, "A.Dazzle" wrote:

What are the spokes tied with?

It is not essential to tie spokes, it permits lower spoke tension and
is especially useful for lightweight rims used off-road.

What solder is being used?

Tinman's usually.

What is the 'betterness'?

Shock absorbtion or suspension with excellent tracking.

How is the toughness measured?

MTBF

So you are measuring - what? (The miles done?)
And then counting the failures?
You do that with both soldered and un-soldered?
How many wheels are in the sampling for each?

TIA

No, I'm not measuring. There have been no failures from my wheels.
My personal wheels have 42000 miles behind them, and some of my builds
(at least 4) will have probably exceeded that by a bit without any
problems. Only my front wheel is tied and soldered, which was a
relatively recent change which was performed because I just needed to
do it. The differences in tracking ability are easily apparent over
rough ground such as cobblestones.
Old February 11th 10, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Thu, 11 Feb, chris French wrote:
In message
,
thirty-six writes

Never heard of tram tracks or cattle grids? What matters here is that
the slippery obstacle can be spanned. You cannot do this with a short
tread contact.

What!! - God this is even more ******** than usual

Come now - don't your tyres have a five foot long contact patch? You
need to ride proper wheels, built the 36-way. Then you could safely
span a slippery cattle grid, free of hazards.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old February 12th 10, 01:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 11 Feb, 22:37, Ian Smith wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb, chris French wrote:
*In message
,
*thirty-six writes

Never heard of tram tracks or cattle grids? *What matters here is that
the slippery obstacle can be spanned. *You cannot do this with a short
tread contact.

*What!! - God this is even more ******** than usual

Come now - don't your tyres have a five foot long contact patch?

No it's a metric tread of around 2.1 metres long.

*You
need to ride proper wheels, built the 36-way. *Then you could safely
span a slippery cattle grid, free of hazards.

regards, * Ian SMith
--
* |\ /| * * *no .sig
* |o o|
* |/ \|

Old February 12th 10, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington[_3_]

In ,
thirty-six tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
On 11 Feb, 10:29, "Dave Larrington" wrote:
,
thirty-six tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

Short tread to road contact patch.

The area of the contact patch is what matters, and that - for a
given load and tyre pressure - is the same irrespective of the
diameter of the wheel.

Never heard of tram tracks or cattle grids? What matters here is that
the slippery obstacle can be spanned. You cannot do this with a short
tread contact.

Please explain the difference in length of the tread contact between a
28-406 tyre inflated to 100 psi supporting a load of 50 kg and a 28-622 tyre
inflated to 100 psi supporting a load of 50 kg. I am a bear of little
brane, you see.

The only problem I've had with crossing cattle grids at 30 mph on machines
with 406 wheels is that the front lights sometimes start pointing at the
floor. Much as they do when doing the same thing on a bike with 622s.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old February 12th 10, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

On 12/02/2010 09:08, Dave Larrington wrote:

The only problem I've had with crossing cattle grids at 30 mph on machines
with 406 wheels is that the front lights sometimes start pointing at the
floor. Much as they do when doing the same thing on a bike with 622s.

There's your problem - you're only doing 30mph. As a moderately fit
cyclist you should be doing over 60.

Old February 12th 10, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:37:10 +0000, Clive George
wrote:

On 12/02/2010 09:08, Dave Larrington wrote:

The only problem I've had with crossing cattle grids at 30 mph on machines
with 406 wheels is that the front lights sometimes start pointing at the
floor. Much as they do when doing the same thing on a bike with 622s.

There's your problem - you're only doing 30mph. As a moderately fit
cyclist you should be doing over 60.

Which has the advantage of course that you only hit the first bar on
the cattle grid, the next thing you hit is the clear road the other
side, sometimes even with the wheels.
Old February 12th 10, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

wrote:
On 12/02/2010 09:08, Dave Larrington wrote:

The only problem I've had with crossing cattle grids at 30 mph on machines
with 406 wheels is that the front lights sometimes start pointing at the
floor. *Much as they do when doing the same thing on a bike with 622s.

There's your problem - you're only doing 30mph. As a moderately fit
cyclist you should be doing over 60.

Which has the advantage of course that you only hit the first bar on
the cattle grid, the next thing you hit is the clear road the other
side, sometimes even with the wheels.

You're almost right. It is most certainly easier and more comfortable
to pass a cattle grid at as high a speed as possible.
Old February 12th 10, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 12 Feb, 12:37, Clive George wrote:
On 12/02/2010 09:08, Dave Larrington wrote:

The only problem I've had with crossing cattle grids at 30 mph on machines
with 406 wheels is that the front lights sometimes start pointing at the
floor. *Much as they do when doing the same thing on a bike with 622s..

There's your problem - you're only doing 30mph. As a moderately fit
cyclist you should be doing over 60.

Ublikely after just reaching the top of a hill.
Old February 12th 10, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

Default inadequacies of the small wheel

On 12 Feb, 09:08, "Dave Larrington" wrote:
,
thirty-six tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

On 11 Feb, 10:29, "Dave Larrington" wrote:
,
thirty-six tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

Short tread to road contact patch.

The area of the contact patch is what matters, and that - for a
given load and tyre pressure - is the same irrespective of the
diameter of the wheel.

Never heard of tram tracks or cattle grids? *What matters here is that
the slippery obstacle can be spanned. *You cannot do this with a short
tread contact.

Please explain the difference in length of the tread contact between a
28-406 tyre inflated to 100 psi supporting a load of 50 kg and a 28-622 tyre
inflated to 100 psi supporting a load of 50 kg. *I am a bear of little
brane, you see.

The lead and tail of the tread to road contact is short and fat on the
smaller wheel. The lack of suspension of the smaller wheel means
external suspension at further cost is required to enable similar
loads over rough ground.