Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Cambridge - 6 Mar 2010

Old February 12th 10, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

Default slippery surfaces

On 11 Feb, 20:33, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 11 Feb, 08:43, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 11 Feb, 00:15, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 10 Feb, 23:20, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 10 Feb, 22:25, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 10 Feb, 21:11, "A.Dazzle" wrote:
What are the spokes tied with?
It is not essential to tie spokes, it permits lower spoke tension and
is especially useful for lightweight rims used off-road.
What solder is being used?
Tinman's usually.
What is the 'betterness'?
Shock absorbtion or suspension with excellent tracking.
How is the toughness measured?
MTBF
And where are the figures for comparison tests between none- tied
and soldered wheels and the tied and soldered wheels?
The most notable difference is in the accuracy of tracking which is
differentiated from a similar wheel by cornering on cobbles. *This is
also linked to the suspension ability of the wheel structure.
Good grief 36! *Did nobody tell you, you can use a pneumatic tyre on a
bicycle wheel?
Personally I rarely cycle over cobbles, let alone corner on them..
A smaller section pnuematic tyre tracks more accurately, but can be
overly hard for cobblestone riding. *Allowing the rim to deform
reduces the impact transmitted to the rider wihout resort to balloon
tyres with their reduced control and poor aerodynamics.
I'll stick with my balloon tyres thanks. *If I wanted to "reduce the
impact transmitted to the rider without resort to balloon tyres" I'd
ride a Moulton.
Small wheels suffer from slip out.
Do they now? *Pray explain because funnily enough I've never thought
when riding a bicycle with 20" wheels "Oh My God, my wheel is about to
do a Janet Jackson!".
Short tread to road contact patch.
On a cobbled surface the contact patches will be small regardless of
what diameter the wheel is.

I don't buy my wheels considering how they ride around tight corners on
cobbles in the wet - that's a situation I simply never come across.
Whatever floats your boat though ...

--www.slowbicyclemovement.org-enjoy the ride

I was not being specific to cobbles.

No. *It's cattle grids and tram lines now - neither of which feature in
my daily commute.

--www.slowbicyclemovement.org- enjoy the ride

sewer grates, bridge joints?
Old February 12th 10, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

thirty-six wrote:
On 11 Feb, 20:33, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 11 Feb, 08:43, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 11 Feb, 00:15, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 10 Feb, 23:20, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 10 Feb, 22:25, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 10 Feb, 21:11, "A.Dazzle" wrote:
[...]

sewer grates

No.

, bridge

Yes, but

joints?

no.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old February 12th 10, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 12 Feb, 19:21, Jim A wrote:

sewer grates

Meant surface grating. er Grids, usually in the gutter but
occasionally there are extra further into the road.

Some how missed manhole cover. Even though the centre is usually
surfaced now, the edge can be without.

Smooth joint lines (every traffic light where the sensor is)

No.

, bridge

Yes, but

joints?

no.

--www.slowbicyclemovement.org- enjoy the ride

Old February 12th 10, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

thirty-six wrote:
On 12 Feb, 19:21, Jim A wrote:

sewer grates

Meant surface grating. er Grids, usually in the gutter but
occasionally there are extra further into the road.

Some how missed manhole cover. Even though the centre is usually
surfaced now, the edge can be without.

Smooth joint lines (every traffic light where the sensor is)

Not sure what your point is. There are occasional man-hole covers and
suchlike. I either ride over them or around them. Their presence on
the road never causes me to question whether my wheels are somehow
adequate to convey me the short distance from one side to the other -
I've never come a-cropper on such street metalwork whether on 20" or 26"
wheels, all of which conventionally spoked and having tyres ranging from
city-jets to marathon winter at various pressures depending on
conditions and whether I've bothered to pump them up lately.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old February 12th 10, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 12 Feb, 21:38, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 12 Feb, 19:21, Jim A wrote:

[...]

If you have always been a sedate rider, then I dont think it would
bother you much, but for those who perhaps are not so well dressed and
would like to get in out of the cold then a little speed is beneficial
and metalwork in the rain is a hazard.
Old February 12th 10, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

thirty-six wrote:
On 12 Feb, 21:38, Jim A wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 12 Feb, 19:21, Jim A wrote:
[...]

If I find any metalwork (for example extra wire wrapped around the
spokes) I'll take your advice and remove it then!

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

Old February 13th 10, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

Default Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Cambridge - 6 Mar 2010

"thirty-six" wrote

[snip]

Never heard of tram tracks or cattle grids? What matters here is
that
the slippery obstacle can be spanned. You cannot do this with a
short
tread contact.

I'm not quite sure that I understand this. I imagine that wheeling a
tea trolley, with its tiny casters, across a cattle grid might be
difficult, but I don't have to do that very often. A caster does
have a rather small contact patch

In Scotland there are deer grids, like a cattle grid, but wide enough
that a deer cannot jump across it. I can't imagine even the most
demented recumbent triplet designer coming up with a bicycle that
would span that

Jeremy Parker

Old February 13th 10, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 13 Feb, 15:12, "Jeremy Parker" wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote

[snip]

Never heard of tram tracks or cattle grids? *What matters here is
that
the slippery obstacle can be spanned. *You cannot do this with a
short
tread contact.

I'm not quite sure that I understand this. *I imagine that wheeling a
tea trolley, with its tiny casters, across a cattle grid might be
difficult, but I don't have to do that very often. *A caster does
have a rather small contact patch

No, I was attempting to be funny with the cattle grid bit.

In Scotland there are deer grids, like a cattle grid, but wide enough
that a deer cannot jump across it. *I can't imagine even the most
demented recumbent triplet designer coming up with a bicycle that
would span that

My point being that a longer tread contact will more likely retain
sufficient purchase of the road when the adhesion is patchy.