mountain biking with a dog

Old March 28th 05, 01:10 PM
Mark Taylor

Default mountain biking with a dog

Can anyone tell me where I can get the equipment needed to attach my
dog to my bike in a 'dog sled' style arrangement?

I have recently seen a program on the Adventure Channel which featured
this sport and would like to get the kit to have a go with my very
exciteable border collie. We currently do something similar to this
but i want to get a proper harness and attachment for my bike to make
it a bit safer for us both.

Any Ideas??
Old March 28th 05, 05:08 PM
John_Kane

Mark Taylor wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can get the equipment needed to attach my
dog to my bike in a 'dog sled' style arrangement?

I have recently seen a program on the Adventure Channel which

featured
this sport and would like to get the kit to have a go with my very
exciteable border collie. We currently do something similar to this
but i want to get a proper harness and attachment for my bike to make
it a bit safer for us both.

Any Ideas??

I have to admit that my first thought was "Increase your insurance
coverage".

However I think that I have seen a bit about this sport before. It
sounds like an adaptation of skijoring. I recently heard an interview
with a Canadian skijoring competitor who said that she had started out
with her border collie.

I expect that most or all skijoring harness would be suitable for your
purposes although the attachment to you or the bike is likely to be
different. http://www.skijornow.com/skijornowhome.html looks like it
might be a good place to start looking.

And good luck

John Kane
Kingston ON

Old March 29th 05, 10:43 PM
Sue White

John_Kane whizzed past me shouting

I have to admit that my first thought was "Increase your insurance
coverage".

An excitable dog sounds ideal for this - can I watch?

Make sure there's a quick release from the dog when it goes into places
where the bike won't fit!

--
Sue ];(

What goes down must come up again - Confucius' Law of Mountain Biking

Old March 30th 05, 09:38 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Sue White
') wrote:

John_Kane whizzed past me shouting

I have to admit that my first thought was "Increase your insurance
coverage".

An excitable dog sounds ideal for this - can I watch?

Make sure there's a quick release from the dog when it goes into
places where the bike won't fit!

I've gone hillwalking with huskies. They are amazingly strong and
tireless, and you spend most of your time leaning back in your harness
trying to slow them down - even with just one. On a bike, in addition
to the quick release, you're going to want a tandem-style drag brake.

Huskies are so amazingly polite they don't really qualify as dogs, in my
opinion. The ones I've met, at least, don't come into your personal
space without permission, don't attempt to fornicate with your
trousers, very rarely bark, and are generally so aristocratic in
temperament that they're more like cats. And extremely beautiful, to
boot.

Tony Blair's epitaph, #1: Tony Blair lies here.
Tony Blair's epitaph, #2: Trust me.
Old March 30th 05, 11:46 AM
Alan Braggins

Simon Brooke wrote:

I've gone hillwalking with huskies. They are amazingly strong and
tireless, and you spend most of your time leaning back in your harness
trying to slow them down - even with just one.

One of the weekend papers had an article on dog sled racing recently,
and mentioned that they also have a "running cross country with your
dog on a strong stretchy lead" competition, called canicross.
Google turns up http://www.skijor.com/canicross.html, which suggests
that "bikejor" or "bikejoring" are useful search terms for looking for
advice on doing it with a bicycle.

(It also said that "Eurohounds", which are husky/pointer crosses, are
better suited to racing in the UK climate (but expensive).)
Old March 30th 05, 01:07 PM
Phil Cook

Alan Braggins wrote:

One of the weekend papers had an article on dog sled racing recently,
and mentioned that they also have a "running cross country with your
dog on a strong stretchy lead" competition, called canicross.
Google turns up http://www.skijor.com/canicross.html, which suggests
that "bikejor" or "bikejoring" are useful search terms for looking for
advice on doing it with a bicycle.

Indeed. Google found this on the same site
http://www.skijor.com/bjarticle.html