Tire Blowing off Rim Question?

Old October 8th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Aman

Default Tire Blowing off Rim Question?

Hi,

I saw a previous thread on this subject, but I think this
is a slightly different question concerning a tire blowing
off a rim. I am tuning up an older road bike to use as a
commuting and maybe a touring bike. It has Weinmann rims
with Normandy hubs, the rear has a 5 speed freewheel.
All the rims say on them is WEINMANN and 27 X 1 1/4.
On the rear rim I have had 3 tires blow of it within
about 1 hour after inflating the tire to it max pressure
of 100 lbs as listed on the tire. I have since got a new
tire and a new rim strip on the rim and it seems to be holding.
The last 2 blow-outs were with self healing inner tubes so they
were a bit messy. Here are my theories of cause:

I at first thought there was a burr inside the rim so I
inspected it and that does not seem to be it, but after the
second blow out I put a new rim strip in and also added 2
layers of electrical tape overlapping the side edges of the
rim strip, just in case there was a burr that I missed.
I think I overlapped the electrical tape onto the sidewall
too much and that acted like a lubricant making the tire
blow of the rim, for the third time!
I say this because that's what look liked happened, I cut
back the electrical tape and now the tire is holding air,
but I have not ridden on it yet. Does this seem right?

My other question is that perhaps due to the self
healing liquid in the inner tubes the gauge on my
pump was not reading correctly and I may have over
inflated the tire - has anyone had this problem?
The first 2 blow outs were with self healing inner
tubes, now there is a regular inner tube in it.
The inner tubes have schraeder valves.

Could the rim be the problem?

Thanks, Alex

Old October 8th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

sally wrote:
Aman wrote in news:Pine.OSF.3.96.1061008111005.24520A-
:
All the rims say on them is WEINMANN and 27 X 1 1/4.
On the rear rim I have had 3 tires blow of it within
about 1 hour after inflating the tire to it max pressure
of 100 lbs as listed on the tire.

What kind of tires are you using? Many of those older 27" rims have straight
side walls that require steel-beaded tires. Kevlar-bead (folding) tires flex
too much and can easily blow off the rims.

That's likely the problem. I'd swap out the rims for something modern.
Alex x404 single walls 27x 1 1/4" rims can be had for $12 each. I just
put some on an old 70s Raleigh with Vittoria Zaffiros at 90psi, and
combo works great. No need to respoke, just tape the rims on top of
each other and transfer the spokes. Limitation to that rim is that you
can't mount really narrow tires on it, but hard 1 1/4" tires roll
plenty fast. Remember to grind off excess spoke length on the inside of
the rim with a stone bit on your drill or dremel if going this
route--then the rim tape.

Sun CR18s in polish silver are also a great choice in a 27" rim, but
they cost twice as much.

Sally may be right, the simplest solution may be tire choice.

My conversion to modern rims and tires:
http://static.flickr.com/117/254286235_b867326dd2_o.jpg

Old October 8th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 11:36:42 -0500, Aman wrote:

[...]

Dear Alex,

Yes, the rim could be the problem.

Here's a page showing some Weinmann rim cross sections:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/WEINRIMS.JPG

If your rim sides haven't got a clear hook (as opposed to concave
straight sides or even convex sides), then lower pressure and no
Kevlar bead.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 8th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

What brand of tires were you using. Some of the off brand chinese tires
don't seat very well. Sometimes the tires appear to seated properly and
will blow off a hour later.

Old October 8th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick Payne

You don't say what model of Weinemann rims, but I can remember having
problems with tyres blowing off Weinemann concave rims back in the early
1980s. The first one I wrote it off to chance. After the second one I
replaced the rim with a Mavic, and had no further problems...

Old October 9th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Aman

Default Tire Blowing off Rim Question ? Follow Up

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. The tire I currently have on the rim
is a Continental Ultra Sport with a wire bead. I do not know
what model rims they are by Weinmann, I don't see a model number
on them anywhere. The rims do not have any type of type of hook
on the inside of the sidewall though. The first tire I installed
was a wire bead Panaracer Pasela and it did not seat well at all,
and seemed too easy to put on, so I took it off, though I did
get it to seat well and hold 100 lbs for a few days, I just
did not trust it. The Continental Ultra Sport seems to be a much
better tire and it took a bit of pressure to get it on the rim
and seated well right away so I think I trust it.

Thanks, Alex

Old October 10th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 11:36:42 -0500, Aman wrote:

Could the rim be the problem?

Many of the older Weinmann 630 rims were made without a hooked edge;
these often hav problems with many types of tires that are better
suited to rims that have a hooked flange. The problems usually show
up in the form of the tire blowing off of the rim, sometimes
immediately on inflation. If the rim flanges on yours have a smooth
inner face, I'd start shopping for some different rims that have a
bead or hook at the edge to help keep the tire's bead properly engaged
with the rim.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Tire Question Paul Cassel Techniques 28 July 1st 06 07:27 PM
DIY TIRE REMOVAL 3? [email protected] Techniques 12 June 3rd 06 06:59 PM
Rear Tire Number 5 Marian Techniques 12 March 3rd 06 02:32 PM
DIY Tire Removal 2 g.daniels Techniques 4 May 21st 04 05:25 PM
DIY Tire Remval 2 g.daniels Techniques 1 May 17th 04 10:26 PM