WHY are cyclists riding at night ?

Old October 7th 14, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default WHY are cyclists riding at night ?

James wrote:
On 07/10/14 12:22, Duane wrote:

And perhaps you should go **** your supercilious self.

Channelling Dan O these days?

Someone has to do it.

--
duane
Old October 7th 14, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/6/2014 8:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

HTA 62(17) - Lightsa bike must have a white front light and a red rear

light or reflector if you ride between 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour
after sunrise and white reflective tape on the front forks and red
reflective
tape on rear forks. Set fine: $20.00

Minor interesting detail: In the U.S., the Uniform Vehicle Code (and
thus almost all states) used to require a headlight between 1/2 hour
_after_ sunset and 1/2 hour _before_ dawn. IIRC, those half hours are
the limits of "civil twilight," which has had other legal uses in the
past. It was supposed to indicate when things could generally be seen
without lights.

Ohio law now puts the limits right at sunrise and sunset.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 14, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/6/2014 9:22 PM, Duane wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/6/2014 8:15 PM, Duane wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/6/2014 6:01 PM, Duane wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 16:23:57 -0400, Duane
wrote:

I wouldn't buy a dynamo either...
Even if it was a $15 option???? I would in a heartbeat at that kind
of price!!

Probably not. I don't have a need for any serious lighting. I'm sure
there are those that do and would appreciate that.

Yes, very few North Americans think they have no need for any serious
lighting on a bicycle. After all, they'd say, it's not a serious vehicle,
is it? To them, it's either a garage decoration or a fair weather toy.

You're putting words in my mouth again. So you plan to endlessly quote me
as saying that as well?

First the "fabricate a bike rack" thing, and now this?? Good grief,
Duane, turn on your reading comprehension!

Did I say "Duane says his bike is not a serious vehicle"? NO! I said
that most North Americans would say that - which is true! Most bikes in
NA sit in garages full time, or get brief exercise only on the prettiest days.

You replied directly to me with your spiel.

It's a discussion group! At the moment, we were discussing things like
"those that do" and those who don't need serious lighting. I was
explaining why very few people think bikes need serious lights. Sheesh!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 14, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 07/10/2014 03:40, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 07/10/14 12:22, Duane wrote:

And perhaps you should go **** your supercilious self.

Channelling Dan O these days?

Someone has to do it.

What happened to him?

Old October 7th 14, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, October 6, 2014 10:31:48 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On 07/10/14 12:22, Duane wrote:

And perhaps you should go **** your supercilious self.

Channelling Dan O these days?

.........e's eatin' Wallabee again

we accept the situation where yawl spent $400 bucks for terminal understeer not wanting to deride your outlay but seriously is it heavy or not. Ura road rider...surely you have an unbiased wallebee free opinion ?

Old October 7th 14, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

James wrote:
On 07/10/14 12:22, Duane wrote:

And perhaps you should go **** your supercilious self.

Channelling Dan O these days?

Someone has to do it.

What happened to him?

Think he just needed a break.

--
JS
Old October 7th 14, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel

Am 06.10.2014 17:16, schrieb Duane:

I can get any lights that I want, even those made in Germany, and either
install them on my bike or have the LBS install them.

Why they aren't installed on the new bikes by default I would guess has
more to do with which ones, if any the buyer wants.

That's where government regulation is extremely useful on the low-price
segment. In Germany, I can buy a $200 bicycle at the superstore, and it
has a hub dynamo; Only expensive MTBs and racing bikes don't.
Old October 7th 14, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 10/7/2014 3:31 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 06.10.2014 17:16, schrieb Duane:

I can get any lights that I want, even those made in Germany, and either
install them on my bike or have the LBS install them.

Why they aren't installed on the new bikes by default I would guess has
more to do with which ones, if any the buyer wants.

That's where government regulation is extremely useful on the low-price
segment. In Germany, I can buy a $200 bicycle at the superstore, and it
has a hub dynamo; Only expensive MTBs and racing bikes don't.

That sounds Ok I think, depending on what the $200 bicycle would cost
without the hub dynamo.

What generally happens in Canada and specifically in Quebec is that
something is mandated and the cost is passed directly to the consumer.
We tend to have strange laws here to protect the producers and not the
consumers. There is a board, for example that sets minimum (not
maximum) prices for milk. As a result, you can pay twice the price for
Quebec Camembert that you would pay for the French product. I think
this is some strange version of trickle down economics or something.

Old October 7th 14, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

James wrote:
On 07/10/14 12:22, Duane wrote:

And perhaps you should go **** your supercilious self.

Channelling Dan O these days?

Someone has to do it.

What happened to him?

Think he just needed a break.

Doesn't sound like Dan.
Old October 7th 14, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/7/2014 7:31 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]

Exactly the opposite. It's regulatory capture.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Night riding The Bruiser Unicycling 20 November 4th 06 08:22 AM
Night riding tedward Unicycling 2 May 14th 06 11:43 AM
Riding at Night Tim Nunes General 14 January 21st 06 02:16 AM
Night riding. Callistus Valerius Racing 26 February 22nd 05 12:13 AM
Night riding... Absent Husband Australia 67 January 16th 05 07:44 PM