The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

Old December 23rd 18, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 12:48:51 PM UTC, Duane wrote:

But how the hell do I know? I’m up here in Canada posing a big security
threat to my old home town down there.

--
duane

Don't do anything rash, Duane. Believe me, I know everything about being
a stateless, passportless refugee. If the Canadians accuse you of an
armed invasion by bicycle, say nothing until your attorney (which
Michael? -- Cohen or Avenatti?) arrives. When Tom Hanks exchanges you on
a bridge (we're still working on which one) for a Canadian milkman caught
taking lewd photographs of the White House, Mr Trump will personally pin
the National Medal of Merit on you.

(sgnd) Al(ice) in (Wonderland -- oops, I mean) Washington

Lol. I think...

--
duane
Old December 23rd 18, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the French (Maginot), the Brazilians (concha), Webster (line when he means queue).

Andre Jute
800 Words That Every Housewife Knows -- wallpaper I designed for my advertising agency's offices
Old December 23rd 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 12:48:51 PM UTC, Duane wrote:

But how the hell do I know? I’m up here in Canada posing a big security
threat to my old home town down there.

--
duane

Don't do anything rash, Duane. Believe me, I know everything about being
a stateless, passportless refugee. If the Canadians accuse you of an
armed invasion by bicycle, say nothing until your attorney (which
Michael? -- Cohen or Avenatti?) arrives. When Tom Hanks exchanges you on
a bridge (we're still working on which one) for a Canadian milkman caught
taking lewd photographs of the White House, Mr Trump will personally pin
the National Medal of Merit on you.

(sgnd) Al(ice) in (Wonderland -- oops, I mean) Washington

You missed the joke.

Old December 23rd 18, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot), the Brazilians (concha), Webster (line when he means queue).

Andre Jute
800 Words That Every Housewife Knows -- wallpaper I designed for my
advertising agency's offices

You’d have to see the border between the US and Mexico. A lot of it is
not traversable. The “Wall” is just hyperbole.

--
duane
Old December 23rd 18, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:26:31 AM UTC, Duane wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense..

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot), the Brazilians (concha), Webster (line when he means queue).

Andre Jute
800 Words That Every Housewife Knows -- wallpaper I designed for my
advertising agency's offices

You’d have to see the border between the US and Mexico. A lot of it is
not traversable. The “Wall” is just hyperbole.

--
duane

I hunted up some photographs of the Great Wall away from the tourist access, and the terrain looked exactly like I imagined it, uncompromising, not a place, either side of the wall, that any reasonable person would want for any purpose (1) except to paint or photograph it and then bugger off in a hurry from its desolation.

Andre Jute
Unanswerable questions
(1) It would be too dangerous even for the greatest stunt bicyclist in the world.
Old December 23rd 18, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:14:14 AM UTC, Ralph Barone wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 12:48:51 PM UTC, Duane wrote:

But how the hell do I know? I’m up here in Canada posing a big security
threat to my old home town down there.

--
duane

Don't do anything rash, Duane. Believe me, I know everything about being
a stateless, passportless refugee. If the Canadians accuse you of an
armed invasion by bicycle, say nothing until your attorney (which
Michael? -- Cohen or Avenatti?) arrives. When Tom Hanks exchanges you on
a bridge (we're still working on which one) for a Canadian milkman caught
taking lewd photographs of the White House, Mr Trump will personally pin
the National Medal of Merit on you.

(sgnd) Al(ice) in (Wonderland -- oops, I mean) Washington

You missed the joke.

Joke, what joke? We're bicyclists, grimly earnest about our "training". We don't tell jokes.

Andre Jute
Bloody trolls are everywhere
Old December 23rd 18, 07:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Deflection, then self-promotion, and finally an ad-hominem attack. Isn't it
nice to know that some things never change. Merry Christmas.

Old December 23rd 18, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

You missed the joke, Ralph. And now you turn nasty. Whatever for?

Andre Jute
And the trolls can't spell "parody" either
Old December 23rd 18, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 16:15:33 -0800, Andre Jute wrote:

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot),

None of which worked, as a wall.
Mental balm for tghe populace; yes.
Comunity developemnt; maybe,
Totally effective; no.
Old December 23rd 18, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:02:52 PM UTC, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 16:15:33 -0800, Andre Jute wrote:

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense..

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot),

Duane and I were just craicing-on, light jokes about current events. But I have no problem paying you the complement of taking you seriously if you want to argue cases. So let's see your screed again:

None of which worked, as a wall.
Mental balm for tghe populace; yes.
Comunity developemnt; maybe,
Totally effective; no.

Really? You might read a little of the excellent Mr Gibbon and inform yourself of which walls fulfilled their intended purpose. Anyhow, as we used to say Down Under, we were talking about the sense building the wall made to those who ordered it built, and no one said anything about the effectiveness of the walls after they were built. As for "community development", they didn't do limp cod-sociology jargon those days, and the men who ordered nearly all the walls built that I referred to didn't care **** for the "community" (1), but for their own safety and that of their house or command or nation, which you can work out for yourself if you were well enough read to know which walls were built by slave labour, which by conscripted labour, and which by professional soldiers under discipline.

Andre Jute
The library is my friend, and can be yours too.
(1) The reason they didn't care **** for "community" is that it wasn't invented yet, and as for its "development", the Emperor of China thanks you for the giggle. As late as the end of the 20th century, the great Baroness Thatcher was forced to explain to the yobs that there is no such thing as "community", that it is a recently minted and vaguely specified neologism.