Night riding.

Old February 17th 05, 10:12 PM
Callistus Valerius

Default Night riding.

I planning on doing some night riding in the boondocks. How do you deal
with a good ol' boy, in a pickup, who seems threatened by lycra? Do you
have beer with him, try to persuade him that he has nothing to worry about,
etc? I can't exactly carry a compound box on my back like Burt Reynolds did
in deliverence, so how do you protect yourself?

Old February 17th 05, 10:50 PM
Rik Van Diesel

Callistus Valerius wrote:
I planning on doing some night riding in the boondocks. How do you

deal
with a good ol' boy, in a pickup, who seems threatened by lycra? Do

you
have beer with him, try to persuade him that he has nothing to worry

about,
etc? I can't exactly carry a compound box on my back like Burt

Reynolds did
in deliverence, so how do you protect yourself?

I would recommend Lifestyles or Trojans.

RVD

Old February 17th 05, 10:50 PM
Bill C

Callistus Valerius wrote:
I planning on doing some night riding in the boondocks. How do you

deal
with a good ol' boy, in a pickup, who seems threatened by lycra? Do

you
have beer with him, try to persuade him that he has nothing to worry

about,
etc? I can't exactly carry a compound box on my back like Burt

Reynolds did
in deliverence, so how do you protect yourself?

Get a big Dale Earnhart #3 patch and pin it on the back of your wind
jacket. Just don't use #24 'cause all real Bubba's know Jeff Gordon
just aint right.

Bill C

Old February 18th 05, 06:36 AM
Laz

Well if you'll be in the boonies at night, you'll probably be riding more or
less in the middle of the lane 'cause the sides are usually more broken and
you've more debris (roadkill etc.)- I always used clear lens cycling glasses
(or just the frame even- I suggest avoiding the yellow lenses ) to hold a
rear view mirror attached to the frame- pay attention, and you should have
enough time to move right off the road before he notices you, otherwise
you'll notice the headlights behind you casting their shine on the road in
front. Now, depending on how deep you are into redneck country just moving
right off the road should suffice, but if you are really worried, stand by
the side of the road and pretend your bike has broken down and your're
stranded- he'll see you at the last minute and snicker to himself as he
drives by without stopping.

Don't wear Telekom pink.

Good luck

Laz

nk.net...

Old February 18th 05, 12:25 PM
Callistus Valerius

[...]

Thanks. I have used the broken bike scam before in the daylight in
redneck country before. They start giving you sh*t, and just start looking
at the derraillur, and they lose interest. I've been hit by empty beer
cans, and once a full unopened can was launched at me, but he led me too
much. It went off like a grenade about 5 feet in front of me. But the wind
blew the spray away from me, and I only had to dodge the can. What
absurdity, with one of the replies about reccomending Lifestyles or Trojans.
But typical of RBR.

Old February 18th 05, 12:37 PM
Callistus Valerius

Get a big Dale Earnhart #3 patch and pin it on the back of your wind
jacket. Just don't use #24 'cause all real Bubba's know Jeff Gordon
just aint right.

Bill C

That would actually work, and I did think of that myself, but I do have
some standards.

One time I was on a tour ride, that went by a NASCAR event in Phoenix.
What a party! It's a strange culture, for sure. But it didn't look that
bad. Some of the other riders told me that they park their RV's a week
before the event, and start partying. I like to drink beer too, but I'd
rather do it in my Sea kayak ( for courage of course. the sea doesn't take
prisoners).

Old February 18th 05, 01:40 PM
Ronald van Tol

I can't exactly carry a compound box on my back like Burt Reynolds
did
in deliverence, so how do you protect yourself?

Learn to play the banjo?

Old February 18th 05, 02:04 PM
B Lafferty

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
et...
Get a big Dale Earnhart #3 patch and pin it on the back of your wind
jacket. Just don't use #24 'cause all real Bubba's know Jeff Gordon
just aint right.

Bill C

That would actually work, and I did think of that myself, but I do have
some standards.

One time I was on a tour ride, that went by a NASCAR event in Phoenix.
What a party! It's a strange culture, for sure. But it didn't look that
bad. Some of the other riders told me that they park their RV's a week
before the event, and start partying. I like to drink beer too, but I'd
rather do it in my Sea kayak ( for courage of course. the sea doesn't take
prisoners).

We have the Stafford Motor Speedway in our cycling area. At trip through
town by bicycle is always an interesting experience. The people on
motorcycles generally give a positive greeting if anything at all. It's the
folks in the pickup trucks (the newer models) who are the greatest danger to
cyclists.

Old February 18th 05, 02:09 PM
Tom

Living in North Carolina, pick-up trucks are a constant threat. And
of course cell phone talking SUV driving soccer moms. A short while
ago, we had a Saturday morning group ride, where a large dualie truck
hauling a bobcat on a trailer ran up on the rear end of the pack, horn
honking, lights flashing. He passed at a high rate of speed, and then
jacked in the truck and trailer in front of the pack, and proceeded
to, as we say in the South, slam on brakes. People were ditching
left and right. About 10 people ended up in the ditch on the right
hand side of the road, and about another 20 ended up going left and
luckily there was no oncoming traffic, as the other 20 that went left,
probably would have been run the **** over. People are idiots.

Tom

Old February 18th 05, 02:10 PM
B Lafferty

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Descending Lookout Mountain during the 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge out of
Chattanooga I was followed down by an old truck--kind of a derelict,
homemade flat bed--with two guys drinking beer, rather unkempt hair and
missing a few teeth. They couldn't pass on the downhill and didn't try.
There's a stop light at the bottom and we hit a red light. They rolled up
next to me laughing, expressed approval for my descent and handed me a cold,
unopened can of Bush beer. Nice.