repair stand

Old May 29th 16, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default repair stand

think do build connect

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...QXRkQvtFAmZgoK
Old May 29th 16, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

There is a group "alt.hemp".

I don't understand - that doesn't seem to be
about ropes 0:-)

The traditional method was to turn the bike
upside down so that it is resting on the seat
and handle bars :-)

With a high and big enough table, it is still
the issues of protruding stuff on the
handlebar, and imbalance, apart from many
problems that do not benefit from the bike
being upside down...

- so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 29th 16, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Mike A Schwab writes:

Ropes and pulleys and hooks. May sway.

Ha - I don't mean to store the bikes in
a non-bulky way - that, even I can do with
ropes - I meant as a possible substitute for
the repair stand!

- so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 29th 16, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

HUNG THE BIKE FOR A REAR WHEEL flat repair....as an experiment following THE BOOK

from a library park tree...

the cops showed up !

'opening a repair shop' ? he said.

several tries at MO parts had ended with the shipments stolen by USPS, Mailboxes R THEY, THEYPS.....

Old May 30th 16, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 29 May 2016 13:36:33 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

There is a group "alt.hemp".

I don't understand - that doesn't seem to be
about ropes 0:-)

I did a search of Usenet groups using "rope" as the search key and it
returned "alt.hemp" as a likely option.

The traditional method was to turn the bike
upside down so that it is resting on the seat
and handle bars :-)

With a high and big enough table, it is still
the issues of protruding stuff on the
handlebar, and imbalance, apart from many
problems that do not benefit from the bike
being upside down...

Good Lord. Bicycles have been turned up side down for maintenance for
a hundred years or more and now you say it won't work?

A long enough table? Squat down, or sit on a box.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 30th 16, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 29 May 2016 13:46:19 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Mike A Schwab writes:

Ropes and pulleys and hooks. May sway.

Ha - I don't mean to store the bikes in
a non-bulky way - that, even I can do with
ropes - I meant as a possible substitute for
the repair stand!

Well, if you don't have a work stand, what else can you do?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 3rd 16, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 3:12:56 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Is there a consensus which repair stand
is preferrable?

I just need it to hold the bike, not as a table
for lube cans, tools, etc.

I have one, but the switches are so unergonomic
and slow, I suspect it to be not only of low
quality, but also defect...

I want to be able to do it standing up.
The ones I've seen in shops are 1.5 m!
That won't do.

Because the room is small ( 15 m^2), I thought
about achieving the equivalent by attaching the
grip bar to a swivel in the wall, and then just
tilt it upwards when not in use!

Also, because the economy is even smaller,
I thought about it it can be done, with ropes!
I've learned, many things that are done with
heavy gear can be done just as well, or better,
with ropes! (Is there a newsgroup for ropes?)

I don't know - it is worth considering...

- so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -

If I would offer some advice - there are two parts of a bicycle shop that you shouldn't stint on - the repair stand with a professional grade clamp and a wheel truing stand. Both of these last forever and on a long term basis are the deal of the century.
Old June 4th 16, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

With a high and big enough table, it is
still the issues of protruding stuff on the
handlebar, and imbalance, apart from many
problems that do not benefit from the bike
being upside down...

Good Lord. Bicycles have been turned up side
down for maintenance for a hundred years or
more and now you say it won't work?

It is not optimal for many tasks.

A long enough table? Squat down, or sit on
a box.

I'll only consider serious suggestions...

- so far: 46 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 4th 16, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

jbeattie writes:

Buy tools. Keep the economy strong!

The more you buy, the more you need!
But I don't enjoy buying them unless the seller
is a female well below my age. Owning and using
tools is very pleasant tho, especially simple
tools that almost always work. My current
favorite is a Toyota spanner - made in Japan,
of course - with one side 10 mm, the other 8.
I even painted one side green, the other red

- so far: 46 Blogomatic articles -

Repair stand Campag_nut Australia 6 March 20th 07 12:05 AM
my new repair stand ... Tom Keats General 0 January 31st 05 08:22 AM
Scored me a Repair Stand Gags Australia 55 January 2nd 05 02:24 AM
repair stand question Mathias Koerber Techniques 3 November 1st 04 04:42 PM
WTB: repair stand dookie Marketplace 1 September 9th 03 07:54 AM