Health benefits of riding.

Old September 29th 04, 11:17 PM
Bill Baka

Default Health benefits of riding.

Is it just me or does anyone else on this group notice that they almost
never get 'sick'. All the riding/exercise/fitness seems to boost the
immune system somehow. Everytime there is some new bug going around
I never get it. I have only been down for the count 3 times in 25+
years, 1977 (food poisoning), 1978 (flu, 106 temp), 1986 (Salmonella,
food poisoning again, from a food truck at work). Other times when
everyone else is down and out I just notice that "Geesh, this hill
got steeper" or something like that. Maybe I will only ride 20 miles
instead of 50 before getting tired/bored(?)/demotivated, but I don't
get sick or bedridden like everyone else.
It could be one of 3 things.
1. Riding and staying in shape.
2. Lucky genes inherited.
3. Not being a germaphobe. I drink out of irrigation canals and mountain
streams and never worry about it so I may be just flexing my
immune system a bit more than others.
Number 3 not recommended for anyone else.
Thoughts?
Bill Baka
Old September 30th 04, 12:16 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:17:23 -0700, ,
Bill Baka wrote:

It could be one of 3 things.
1. Riding and staying in shape.
2. Lucky genes inherited.
3. Not being a germaphobe.

It's picking your nose and eating the boogers that boosts your immune
system.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_903083.html
--
zk
Old September 30th 04, 01:00 AM
the black rose

Zoot Katz wrote:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:17:23 -0700, ,
Bill Baka wrote:

It could be one of 3 things.
1. Riding and staying in shape.
2. Lucky genes inherited.
3. Not being a germaphobe.

It's picking your nose and eating the boogers that boosts your immune
system.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_903083.html

Okay, that was just WAY too much information.

Ewwwww.

-km

--
no sig on this machine
Old September 30th 04, 01:03 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Zoot Katz" wrote: It's picking your nose and
eating the boogers that boosts your immune system.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's clear to me that eating boogers has impaired the good doctor's critical
faculties.

Old September 30th 04, 01:07 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:03:46 GMT,
, "Leo
Lichtman" wrote:

It's clear to me that eating boogers has impaired the good doctor's critical
faculties.

Possibly just the picking action caused a cranial cave in.
--
zk
Old September 30th 04, 01:28 AM
Dan Cosley

In article , Bill Baka wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else on this group notice that they almost
never get 'sick'. All the riding/exercise/fitness seems to boost the
immune system somehow.

Not me, I still get sick a couple of times a year.
Maybe I overreach, I play squash almost to excess.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)
Old September 30th 04, 01:58 AM
Terry Morse

In article ,
Bill Baka wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else on this group notice that they almost
never get 'sick'. All the riding/exercise/fitness seems to boost the
immune system somehow. Everytime there is some new bug going around
I never get it.

If you train hard enough, your immune system gets depressed. I got
hit twice with respiratory bugs this year. It slowed me down
somewhat, but I just kept riding through it at a slower pace.
Old September 30th 04, 03:49 AM
Bill Baka

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:16:29 -0700, Zoot Katz
wrote:

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:17:23 -0700, ,
Bill Baka wrote:

It could be one of 3 things.
1. Riding and staying in shape.
2. Lucky genes inherited.
3. Not being a germaphobe.

It's picking your nose and eating the boogers that boosts your immune
system.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_903083.html

Thanks, Zoot, we really needed that.
Bill Baka
Old September 30th 04, 04:14 AM
David Reuteler

wrote:
It's picking your nose and eating the boogers that boosts your immune
system.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_903083.html

Thanks, Zoot, we really needed that.

well, i feel healthier already.
--
david reuteler

#3, I've had giardia, and definitely DON'T recommend it.

I wonder if part of it's not just cleaning out lungs (via deep
breathing) and nose (use your imagination) regularly, getting the stuff
out of the body before it can get a good hold. Oh, and drinking lots of
water.

Pat