Tour of Bright - Crash

Old December 4th 06, 09:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Tour of Bright - Crash

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:47:15 GMT
RV wrote:

not generally the case.
St Johns coveres the circuit general for entrants, they if injured are
transported to the medcal centre fo rthe Doctor to look at,
if Ambo required to Hospital they get a state ambulance to come and
pick up.
St Johns stays at the tracks, racing continues.

I've been at a race where it stopped cos there was no ambulance
available, but that might have been a special case.

Zebee
Old December 4th 06, 10:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I've been at a race where it stopped cos there was no ambulance
available, but that might have been a special case.

As have I. There were two ambulances at the race, one went off after the
second race, the other after the fourth, about an hour or so later. There
was then a half hour break untill one came back. Ambos can only patch up
enough to make the transportation safe. No ambulance, no racing.

Theo

Old December 5th 06, 03:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ProfTournesol

Theo Bekkers Wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I've been at a race where it stopped cos there was no ambulance
available, but that might have been a special case.

As have I. There were two ambulances at the race, one went off after
the
second race, the other after the fourth, about an hour or so later.
There
was then a half hour break untill one came back. Ambos can only patch
up
enough to make the transportation safe. No ambulance, no racing.

Theo

same deal for motorsport of the 4 wheel kind - no ambulance or doctor,
no racing.

--
ProfTournesol

Old December 5th 06, 04:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Jono L wrote:
Yeh, it was in the C Grade race.

One other bloke had his face grated on the road

I'm not certain of the facts as I was racing at the time but I heard
that there was no doctor near the race or even in Bright, but there was
an ambulance there?

One other friend of mine who just finished the womens B race had to
stay round and perform first aid for an hour (I think another crash) as
there weren't any (or enough) trained volunteers there...

Oh by the way it was on the Tawonga gap, heading back into Bright
decent on stage one.

That's an odd place for a crash, it's a pretty benign descent (esp
compared to the Kiewa valley side). I heard one of the lads that went
down was Andy Dorman, but haven't confirmed it yet.

Old December 5th 06, 04:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jono L

Bleve Wrote:
Jono L wrote:
Yeh, it was in the C Grade race.

One other bloke had his face grated on the road

I'm not certain of the facts as I was racing at the time but I heard
that there was no doctor near the race or even in Bright, but there

was
an ambulance there?

One other friend of mine who just finished the womens B race had to
stay round and perform first aid for an hour (I think another crash)

as
there weren't any (or enough) trained volunteers there...

Oh by the way it was on the Tawonga gap, heading back into Bright
decent on stage one.

That's an odd place for a crash, it's a pretty benign descent (esp
compared to the Kiewa valley side). I heard one of the lads that went
down was Andy Dorman, but haven't confirmed it yet.It was Dorman, Broken nose and ravaged face And he just got his new

bike

--
Jono L

Old December 5th 06, 05:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Jono L wrote:
Bleve Wrote:
Jono L wrote:
[...]

He was at our climbing camp the week before, road testing his new Zipp
404 tubs. I hope he didn't roll a tyre off a rim or something.

--
Jono L

Old December 5th 06, 05:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

ProfTournesol wrote:
Theo Bekkers Wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I've been at a race where it stopped cos there was no ambulance
available, but that might have been a special case.

As have I. There were two ambulances at the race, one went off after
the
second race, the other after the fourth, about an hour or so later.
There
was then a half hour break untill one came back. Ambos can only patch
up
enough to make the transportation safe. No ambulance, no racing.

Theo

same deal for motorsport of the 4 wheel kind - no ambulance or doctor,
no racing.

The local St John ambulance here prefers to stay at their base rather
than being at an event all day as it ties them up from attending other
incidents. They say just call them as per a normal accident and they'll
only be a few minutes slower attending.

Friday
Old December 5th 06, 10:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RV

RV wrote:

not generally the case.
St Johns coveres the circuit general for entrants, they if injured are
transported to the medcal centre fo rthe Doctor to look at,
if Ambo required to Hospital they get a state ambulance to come and
pick up.
St Johns stays at the tracks, racing continues.

I've been at a race where it stopped cos there was no ambulance
available, but that might have been a special case.

Perhaps not an ACCA sanctioned race meet.
(Uni clubs and such have race meeting but not auto cycle council aus
sanctioned.)
I road raced bikes for 6 years
3 on 2 stroke 350, 3 on 1000 superbikes,
Raced in NSW,Vic and SA only.(based in Vic)

I never experienced anything other than as I described
St Johns tackside for the day for circuit to medical centre,
(Had a few turns in that myself.)
Met Ambulance service from track to hospital.
(Never that bad for me but saw a few pals off in them)

Cost as good deal too for the organisers, which is generally any ACCA
affiliated club.
I was on road race sub comittee in ours..
Always had to pay doc and ambo fees every meeting as far as I recall..
That was in the 80's BTW, but its all like yesterday to me.
Id still do it now, but i dont bounce when I hit the ground anymore.

Old December 5th 06, 11:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

RV wrote:
[...]

We made a substantial donation to them even though they were only "on
call". We're a non-profit event and it all goes back into the community
anyway.

Friday

Bright lights [email protected] UK 18 November 8th 06 08:08 AM
How bright is Bright? Chris Zacho The Wheelman General 29 September 24th 05 09:41 AM
Eki and Armstrong in a crash Eki out of Tour What about Armstrong? cat6 Racing 25 May 5th 05 02:52 AM
Cyclist dies after crash during Tour of Colombia Tony Raven UK 45 June 19th 04 07:37 PM
Thankfully, crash did NOT decide the tour velojim Racing 6 July 27th 03 10:52 PM