i dont understand...

Old November 3rd 05, 03:33 PM
cruisecontrol

Default i dont understand...

Why do some of you fellow unicyclists not want to see unicycling get
bigger and bigger? The sport is catching on and its making a name for
its self so theres no denying whats going to happen. Im just confused
as to why you would'nt want to see this sport grow and turn into
something huge?

J.kohse

--
cruisecontrol
cruisecontrol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10970

Old November 3rd 05, 03:52 PM
eero-poika

I don't know maybe it's the fear that unicycling becomes "too" common
sport. So it wouldn't be so unique anymore, when even more and more
people would know how to ride it! But I think the spreading is only a
good thing, because unicycling is a really efficient way of keeping fit
and so on. It has so many advances. Sense of balance develops and
lounges and heart become stronger... Altogether it is a very good sport
and definitely more people should know about it! Oh yes, and in the
meetings and while riding around you see a lot of new people and get to
know them...

--
eero-poika

No pain, no gain.

http://lonelyriders.unicyclist.com/
eero-poika's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10911

Old November 3rd 05, 05:23 PM
heavy metal unicycling

I know I don't want the uni to go mainstream in fear of it ending up
like skateboarding. Sure, there are some great skateboarders, but for
every good one there are 5 posers. Some people have also given
skateboarding a bad name. I just don't want unicycling to end up that
way.

--
heavy metal unicycling

People who throw stones at you are quietly saying, "shoot me," they're
just not being verbally expressive enough.
-Harper

My tapworm tells me where ro go
-System Of A Down
heavy metal unicycling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9857

Old November 3rd 05, 05:34 PM
johnfoss

Some people have given unicycling a bad name too. But since unicycling
doesn't even have a name, yet, it doesn't have much effect. But any
time you destroy public (or private) property with unicycles, and
people know about it, it damages the reputation of the sport.

Part of not wanting it to grow is plain selfishness. People don't want
to share. Sharing would mean spreading the joy out to more and more
people, to a point where the joy might get diluted.

Also unicycling would be less "special." How can you impress people by
unicycling if one in ten people can do it? But that works both ways.
The more people that have learned to ride (or given it a serious try),
the better they will appreciate *good* unicycling. So if you want to
show off, the difference is that you'll have to be good. I never seem
to see *good* skateboarders out there. Most of them hardly land
anything. But then again I'm not paying that much attention.

Yes, as the sport grows it will bring more diversity, more posers, more
newbies, more mis-information and more "common-ness." But at the same
time it will bring more and better unicycles, that will probably be
cheaper. Also there will be more opportunities for unicyclists to get
together at festivals or other events where they can have the same fun
a small number of us currently have at the big conventions, MUni
Weekends and other scattered events we do.

NOTE: Normally I don't respond to (or read) threads with useless
subject lines. But I liked this one. Please try to put the question or
"point" of your post in the subject.

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old November 3rd 05, 05:44 PM
cathwood

I don't think we have to worry about unicycling getting bigger and
bigger. IMHO it will not. Riding is too difficult to become a majority
sport. It will only ever attract those willing to put in the time and
effort.

Cathy

--
cathwood

'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

'http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk' (http://www.chuckingandtwirling.
co.uk)

Old November 3rd 05, 06:06 PM
johnfoss

cathwood wrote:
I don't think we have to worry about unicycling getting bigger and
bigger. IMHO it will not.

I forgot to address this in my previous post. Unicycling already *has*
gotten bigger and bigger. But it's still small. It will continue to get
bigger, but as far as being mainstream, like skateboarding or razor
scooters, I'm not worried about that ever happening. It's too hard to
learn, so there will probably always be a limit on mainstream
acceptance.

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old November 3rd 05, 06:11 PM
Mikefule

My other big sports are fencing and Morris dancing. In both cases,
retention of new people is difficult because it takes a long time to
learn. Most people can ride a bicycle, kick a football, or hit a
tennis ball, but it takes weeks to make significant progress as a
fencer, dancer or unicyclist and start to feel the rewards for all the
hard work.

But if unicycling were to become mainstream, my experience with
bicycling, scuba diving and kayaking is that prices go up. Good well
designed basic equipment becomes hard to find, and overpriced
over-designed fashionable equipment fills the shops.

--
Mikefule

dit dit diddle iddle dit dit... BANG! ow ow ow! that nasty
unincyclinge man has deaded me! naughty unincyclinge man!

Old November 3rd 05, 06:25 PM
s7ev0

Mikefule wrote:
My other big sports are fencing and Morris dancing. In both cases,
retention of new people is difficult because it takes a long time to
learn. Most people can ride a bicycle, kick a football, or hit a
tennis ball, but it takes weeks to make significant progress as a
fencer, dancer or unicyclist and start to feel the rewards for all the
hard work.

But if unicycling were to become mainstream, my experience with
bicycling, scuba diving and kayaking is that prices go up. Good well
designed basic equipment becomes hard to find, and overpriced
over-designed fashionable equipment fills the shops.

God, yeah. The shops are flooded with over-designed fashionable Morris
dancing equipment round here.

--
s7ev0

Avatar courtesy of Loosemoose.

-Darwin loves you-
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old November 3rd 05, 06:31 PM
cathwood

Mikefule wrote:
My other big sports are fencing and Morris dancing. In both cases,
retention of new people is difficult because it takes a long time to
learn. Most people can ride a bicycle, kick a football, or hit a
tennis ball, but it takes weeks to make significant progress as a
fencer, dancer or unicyclist and start to feel the rewards for all the
hard work.

But if unicycling were to become mainstream, my experience with
bicycling, scuba diving and kayaking is that prices go up. Good well
designed basic equipment becomes hard to find, and overpriced
over-designed fashionable equipment fills the shops.

Well that sounds like a good excuse to ignore my last post and go out
and buy up the stock on unicycle.com a bit faster than I'm doing
already.

Cathy

Old November 3rd 05, 06:42 PM
mscalisi

Because of MUni, Trials and Street, this sport will continue to grow.
Think about this, how many people know about MUni? One out of 50? (just
a guess out of my bum) If that is the case, then only 1 out of 50
POTENTIAL MUNI RIDERS know about it.

...as the sport gets more visibility, the numbers of riders could
explode. ....but even if you multiplied the number of riders we have
today by 50, we will still be a fringe sport.

--
mscalisi
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

What you hosers don't seem to understand about LWS x1134x Mountain Biking 67 September 6th 05 03:40 PM
I finally understand. Maggie General 83 June 3rd 05 05:36 PM
One word to understand Gabriele Russo Techniques 5 March 29th 05 10:18 PM
?? I Don't Understand Scammers CycleFit Marketplace 0 January 9th 05 04:20 PM
Don't understand gear ratios... Richard Bates UK 13 July 17th 04 04:47 PM