cable cutters

Old November 3rd 05, 08:32 PM
lubaloo

Default cable cutters

Hi
I need to cut some brake and gear cables. Do I really need to spend 30
GBP on special bike cable cutters, or will a set like these linked do
the job?

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle_...ters&scoring=p

Thanks!

Old November 3rd 05, 08:36 PM
Zog The Undeniable

lubaloo wrote:
Hi
I need to cut some brake and gear cables. Do I really need to spend 30
GBP on special bike cable cutters, or will a set like these linked do
the job?

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle_...ters&scoring=p

They should be OK. I use some £3.99 Rolson things. They won't last as
long as shop tools, but they will probably last my lifetime.
Old November 3rd 05, 08:39 PM
garryb59

On 3 Nov 2005 12:32:02 -0800, "lubaloo" wrote:

Hi
I need to cut some brake and gear cables. Do I really need to spend 30
GBP on special bike cable cutters, or will a set like these linked do
the job?

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle_...ters&scoring=p

Thanks!

Copper and aluminum are soft metals, brake cables are certainly not,
you might have a problem with these cutters. I have a set of these
[£13.95] and they're perfectly fine:

http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?..._company=TOOLS

Garry
Old November 3rd 05, 08:50 PM
Clive George

"lubaloo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi
I need to cut some brake and gear cables. Do I really need to spend 30
GBP on special bike cable cutters, or will a set like these linked do
the job?

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle_...ters&scoring=p

Dunno - but they do say 'copper/aluminium', both of which are significantly
softer than the steel the brake/gear cables are made of.

Settle cycles sells the park tools one for 23 quid rather than 30.

Unfortunately the proper cable cutters are a lot better than a cheap pair of
pliers. But if I was on a budget I'd get a cheap (but hefty) pair of
pliers - no more than a fiver. One of the DIY sheds used to sell cutters for
3 quid - ideal semi-disposable tools.

Mike Dyason is normally recommended as a good source for cheap bike tools.

cheers,
clive

Old November 3rd 05, 09:35 PM
Keith Willoughby

"Clive George" writes:

Unfortunately the proper cable cutters are a lot better than a cheap
pair of pliers. But if I was on a budget I'd get a cheap (but hefty)
pair of pliers - no more than a fiver. One of the DIY sheds used to
sell cutters for 3 quid - ideal semi-disposable tools.

I bought a pair in Halfords (6 quid, IIRC) , and they cut my brake
cables perfectly well. I dare say if I planned on doing it more than
once every couple of years, the proper ones would be a good investment.

"Individuals have international duties which
transcend the national obligations of obedience"
-- Justice Robert Jackson
Old November 3rd 05, 09:49 PM
RG

"lubaloo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi
I need to cut some brake and gear cables. Do I really need to spend 30
GBP on special bike cable cutters, or will a set like these linked do
the job?

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle_...ters&scoring=p

Thanks!

Nope - they will only cut very soft stuff, like electrical cables .... or
possibly a brake cable, but just the one before the blades are cream
crackered !

You can buy a reasonable pair of cutters at almost any LBS for about £14 -
certainly adequate for what I would assume would be fairly infrequent use as
an "amateur mechanic"

Rob

Old November 3rd 05, 10:30 PM
Sandy Morton

In article , RG
wrote:
You can buy a reasonable pair of cutters at almost any LBS for
about £14 - certainly adequate for what I would assume would be
fairly infrequent use as an "amateur mechanic"

I bought a pair at the London boat show about 15 years ago - cost was
about £22 then. I have used them very regularly since then with
absolutely no problems. They were designed and engineered to cut
stainless rigging on yachts and dinghies.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old November 4th 05, 11:17 AM
nobody760

Place 5lb lump hammer on its side on a firm surface (concrete), lay
cable on top where to be cut, place between the cutting jaws of a good
pair of ordinary pliers, bash top of pliers with ordinary hammer
directly over where the cable lies.

That method has served me for some 45 years and continues to do so.

Old November 4th 05, 11:36 AM
nobody760

Totally and absolutely nothing to do with cycling - if you want to
learn more about Justice Robert Jackson and his magnificent and
powerful use of the English language, his humanity and just plain
common sense then this is worth a look:

http://www.roberthjackson.org/

Old November 4th 05, 11:45 AM
Bryan

http://tinyurl.com/9jsop

Thanks!

Copper and aluminum are soft metals, brake cables are certainly not,
you might have a problem with these cutters. I have a set of these
[£13.95] and they're perfectly fine:

http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?..._company=TOOLS

Garry

I've got a pair of these, and have had no problems cutting cables and
outers, certainly recommended.

Bryan

--
Bryan

Cable Lugs Gags Australia 6 June 21st 05 01:01 AM
Cable cutters - advice needed Julesh UK 58 December 6th 04 05:29 PM
Carbon frame with internal cable routing, wear at ingress/egress points? Doug Techniques 4 October 19th 04 05:35 AM
Front derailler adjustment Yum Techniques 12 October 6th 04 05:07 AM
Source For Cable Couplers? DiabloScott General 4 November 7th 03 05:36 PM