Unicycle injuries and busted wrists

Old November 21st 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
climbingkid

Default Unicycle injuries and busted wrists

New to the forum, and I'm about 6 months into unicycling and love it.
It probably took eight days, of an hour a day to ride. Since then I
have been learning new skills all the time riding many times a week.
Bought a Nimbus X 24" a few months back, alot tougher than the thing I
learnt on.

But never really hurt myself...

Idling has taken the most time and patience but as of a few weeks back
I got that too - and it was at this point while idling I realised what
a short step it was to riding backwards! Cool!

Here my inexperience showed, and in what seemed like a nano second it
all went pair shapped as I went flying off backwards, fracturing my
scaphoid as my wrist hit the ground first. Now in a cast I see the
importance of those wrist guards in my snowboard bag

So just wondered what other common injuries I can expect...?

CK

--
climbingkid
climbingkid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13844

Old November 21st 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

kington99 wrote:
Badly twisted and sprained ankles is common, dismounting at speed or on
steep ground causes you to fall on them awkwardly. Also cuts on your
shins and the back of your legs is a given unless you wear leg armour,
particularly if you use metal pedals.

I'm so used to cut shins from my bike I didn't notice when I did it on
my Uni a few times.

--
Borgschulze

Spare some change for a new unicycle?
Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501

Old November 21st 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

lol i fell badly for the first time the day i got my wellgo metal
pedals, i did a 80cm drop or sommit, landed wrong, hurt my ankle and
gave myself 4 lovely gashes.... yeah i'd recommend some leg armour...
for the ankles... i've only ever hurt mine on that particular
instant... get some cycling shorts though, and dont ask why, you dont
have to be a genius to workt aht one out !

--
brendan
brendan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13680

Old November 21st 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brunop

yeah, i was practicin' and tryin' to learn on my 20 incher last night
(i've logged all of about an hour total on (or mainly off) the uni) and
i got me some good gashes on my left ankle. where ya get these vaunted
ankle guards?

and a related question--how long til i can ride???

--
brunop
brunop's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13834

Old November 21st 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

climbingkid wrote:

Here my inexperience showed, and in what seemed like a nano second it
all went pair shapped as I went flying off backwards.

Same. I went super fast and hit a bump backwards, and broke my arm. It
was the dumbest and only serious fall I have had so far. I think why
people are hurting their ankle is because they have their foot on the
wrong part of the pedal.

--
Danni

Scrobo wrote:
but what would I expect from someone who has Marajuana as their avatar?

Evan Byrne wrote:
*gasp!* your avatar is truly offensive, remove it asap!

Herb is the healing of all nations
Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990

Old November 21st 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Stryyf

I remember when I learned to rides years ago as a kid I would get going
and my feet would adjust to the inside of the pedals and next thing I
knew SLAM ankle right into the fork tube.

--
Stryyf
Stryyf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13841

Old November 21st 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Smilymarco

when you have problems with your ankles - 661 RaceBrace

--
Smilymarco

'Alptraum' (http://www.alptraum.net) | 'Municycle.com'
(http://www.municycle.com)

amanda.gallacher wrote:
i thought you couldnt even unicycle

Smilymarco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4110

Old November 21st 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patmoore

2000 parachute jumps without a fracture and then I went and broke my
hand falling off my uni. That was 2 years ago and I'm still annoyed
that I did it. My hand landed directly on the pavement and broke a
bone at the base of the hand. It required the insertion of 3 lateral
pins the width of the hand. Needless to say I only ride with
rollerblade-type wrist guards now.

Oddly enough, I quit wearing wrist guards while snowboarding. Maybe I
need to rethink that.

--
patmoore

MY
GALLERY (\"HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/INDEX.PHP?PAGE=GALLERY&G2_ITEMID=193091\")
"When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room."
patmoore's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7356

Old November 21st 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

be careful not to land wrong off stair sets...... do a few
searches....... you'll figure it out.... shins, ankles, wrists, hands,
feet, HEAD, back..... ect.......

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$684.36
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *600.00*/*814.15''
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

Old November 22nd 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

ankles - 'Swede-O' (http://tinyurl.com/y3hkvw) or '661'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=720)
shin/knee - '661'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=404)
wrist - 'Rollerblade 3D'
(http://speedskaterwear.tripod.com/supclothes.html)
forearm/elpow - '661'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=399)
head - 'Giro Xen' (http://www.argear.com/gear/grgiroxenhelmet.html)
seat - cycling shorts
but - '661 bomber' (http://unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=704)

patmoore wrote:
Oddly enough, I quit wearing wrist guards while snowboarding. Maybe I
need to rethink that.

I don't think so, snow is softer than concreet . Unless you ride a
lot of boilerplate.

--
skilewis74

Unicycle injuries and busted wrists kington99 Unicycling 0 November 21st 06 04:03 PM
Sore Wrists Marian General 13 October 29th 06 12:07 PM
?'s on healing wrists&arms tendonitis[Muni] The Munieer Unicycling 11 November 16th 04 07:03 AM
Fundamental error in "Trends in serious head injuries..." Cook andSheikh 2003Fundamental error in "Trends in serious head injuries..." Cookand Sheikh 2003 James Annan UK 12 June 13th 04 11:14 AM
protecting thumb and wrists Allan Adler General 2 October 10th 03 09:00 PM