Rear wheel cyclometers with cadence recommendations? (for use regular biking or training)..

Old August 15th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
markm75

Default Rear wheel cyclometers with cadence recommendations? (for use regular biking or training)..

Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel pickup
and cadence?

I have an avocet 25 currently, satisfied with its features. I really
dont want to pay alot for a replacement (to enable me to use rear
wheel ability when in a trainer). Ie: $50 ideal.. but could go higher
if it included heart rate monitoring (as i'm going with a standalone
watch that is $35 for that)..

Here are a few that I believe will work on the rear wheel.. though not
sure how great they a

Garmen 305 (too pricey at $217 but kinda cool, though not sure how
accurate or reliable the GPS would be, no cadence i believe):
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun...7202074&sr=8-1

Polar CS200CAD $169
http://www.amazon.com/Polar-CS200cad...7202224&sr=8-1
(still abit too pricey for my tastes, rear wheel capable?)...

Cateye Astrale 8 (bad reviews?)
http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CatEye-...7202373&sr=8-2
(is this the same as CC-CD200? which has semi bad reviews?)

Cateye CC-RD200 (rear capable?) (http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-
RD200-Cadence-Bicycle-Computer/dp/B000R6QR2C/
ref=pd_bbs_4/105-8219099-0195640?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-
goods&qid=1187202839&sr=8-4)

Any thoughts on these or others i may not have found?

Thanks

Old August 15th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Art Harris

markm75 wrote:

Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel pickup
and cadence?

I bought a Cateye Astrale 8 for my wind trainer bike last winter. No
complaints. It's a good basic rear wheel unit. I bought it new on eBay
for ~$30 shipped.

Art Harris

Old August 15th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
tom[_2_]

I just replaced my old Trek Sensor because some punk kid smashed it,
when I accidentally left it on the bike, while parked at the library
for a few hours. I decided to go for the kitchen sink and went with
the "Trek Incite ACH Digital" for about $160. It's totally wireless
and has all the usual features, plus: cadence, grade, heart rate,
temperature, and low battery. It's got a few idiosyncracies but
overall works pretty well.

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...&bShopOnline=0

- Tom

On Aug 15, 12:39 pm, markm75 wrote:
Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel pickup
and cadence?

I have an avocet 25 currently, satisfied with its features. I really
dont want to pay alot for a replacement (to enable me to use rear
wheel ability when in a trainer). Ie: $50 ideal.. but could go higher
if it included heart rate monitoring (as i'm going with a standalone
watch that is $35 for that)..

Here are a few that I believe will work on the rear wheel.. though not
sure how great they a

Garmen 305 (too pricey at $217 but kinda cool, though not sure how
accurate or reliable the GPS would be, no cadence i believe):http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun...avigator-Perso...

Polar CS200CAD $169http://www.amazon.com/Polar-CS200cad-Cycling-Computer-Monitor/dp/B000...
(still abit too pricey for my tastes, rear wheel capable?)...

Cateye Astrale 8 (bad reviews?)http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CatEye-...puter/dp/B000P...

Old August 16th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Kerr

markm75 wrote:
[...]

I didn't see any bad reviews for the Cateye Astrale 8??? I own 2 of
these units and have several thousand miles on both of them both indoor
on the trainer and outside. With my experience of using this unit I
can't possibly see spending any more $$$ than that. IMHO it's a great
value.

Brian
Old August 16th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:41:37 -0400, Brian Kerr
wrote:

I didn't see any bad reviews for the Cateye Astrale 8??? I own 2 of
these units and have several thousand miles on both of them both indoor
on the trainer and outside. With my experience of using this unit I
can't possibly see spending any more $$$ than that. IMHO it's a great
value.

While I have a couple of Astrales, and they do work well, if I were
replacing one I think I'd get the Cateye Strada with cadence. For an
extra $10, I wouldn't have to worry about losing all my miles when the
battery dies. (OK, yes, I'm obsessing, but I earned all those miles
the hard way!)

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old August 16th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
markm75

wrote:

I didn't see any bad reviews for the Cateye Astrale 8??? I own 2 of
these units and have several thousand miles on both of them both indoor
on the trainer and outside. With my experience of using this unit I
can't possibly see spending any more $$$ than that. IMHO it's a great
value.

While I have a couple of Astrales, and they do work well, if I were
replacing one I think I'd get the Cateye Strada with cadence. For an
extra $10, I wouldn't have to worry about losing all my miles when the
battery dies. (OK, yes, I'm obsessing, but I earned all those miles
the hard way!)

Pat

Email address works as is.

Thanks for the ideas guys.. so do any of you prefer cyclometers with
heart rate monitors built in.. or the nice simple $30 watch solution..
I saw a few cyclometers with heart rate sensors (chest type).. some
said you had to wet it first, while others reported unusual readings
from time to time, while the watch I was looking at had very good
reviews/reports overall.

The simple cateye device sounds like the most economical, coupled with
a wris****ch heart rate monitor (and maybe a handlebar type adapter
instead of using it as a watch). All in one would be nice, but the
price seems to hit about $160 for that. For that price i'd want it to
have altimeter and climb rate etc too

Old August 16th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zen Cohen

"markm75" wrote in message
ps.com...
Curious what everyone views as good cyclometers with rear wheel pickup
and cadence?

..... Garmen 305 (too pricey at $217 but kinda cool, though not sure how
accurate or reliable the GPS would be, no cadence i believe):

You can get it with cadence for about $35-40 more. The GPS seems to be very
accurate and responsive. Given that you're being tracked by multiple
satellites, it's almost creepy how instantaneously it shows your changes in
speed, grade, etc.