Help with ultimate wheel

Old September 20th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

Default Help with ultimate wheel

Yesterday I tried the UW with no leg armor, just very high knee socks.

Ankle biters are not needed and leg armor is not needed either.
However, the socks created too much drag.

I think all I need is some thin slippery material to protect my leg
skin from the rubbing wheel.

I may also have some slippery material sewn onto the side walls of the
tires.

Any thoughts on this?

--
BillyTheMountain

TEAM YAMS member
"'Coincidence' is the hobgoblin of those with no hope of finding an
explanation." --BillyTheMountain
http://www.1800genocide.com/ the first-ever anti-genocide hotline.
Old September 21st 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kerv

BillyTheMountain wrote:

I think all I need is some thin slippery material to protect my leg
skin from the rubbing wheel.

Duct tape

BillyTheMountain wrote:

I may also have some slippery material sewn onto the side walls of the
tires.

I assume this idea illustrates your lively sense of humor.

In regard to one of your previous posts about pedals, I have been
thinking about replacing my UW pedals with something grippier in
plastic. I have heard good things about the Odessy Twisted, but have
not yet tried them. I also have not put in the time to learn the UW.
You are to be congratulated for sticking to it.

--
Kerv
Old September 27th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

Kerv;1100058 wrote:
Duct tape

I assume this idea illustrates your lively sense of humor.

In regard to one of your previous posts about pedals, I have been
thinking about replacing my UW pedals with something grippier in
plastic. I have heard good things about the Odessy Twisted, but have
not yet tried them. I also have not put in the time to learn the UW.
You are to be congratulated for sticking to it.

Kerv,

Thanks for your response. Actually, I've found that brown packing tape
is far more slippery than duct tape. I'm still looking for something
more reusable, something I can slip on and off. The UW just takes me so
damn long to dress before I can even ride it now, and I'm looking to
simplify that process if I can.

And no, not my sense of humor here with the sidewall. David Stone told
me someone in the Unatics removed the tire and sewed a satin ?? sidewall
right through the tire, then put the tube back in and inflated it.
Whatever material is used, it must be slippery and durable.

The rubber sidewall is very sticky, as is duct tape compared with that
smooth shiny brown packing tape. That's one reason people put silocone
lube on the sidewall.

Last thing: Does anyone know of serious UW acccidents? What were the
contributing factors? I pretty consistently bail out by jumping up and
off, soemtimes due to extreme fatigue after riding a city block.

Do some pedals make it harder to bail?

Billy

Old October 13th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

Well, today, for the first time, I tried riding the UW without leg
armor. The only protection for my calves was knee socks (actually, tube
socks with the toe cut out, pulled past my foot and up to my knees, so
they only cover my calf.

The first time around the block (with a number of UPDs), it worked
fine. I think this was because my calves were a bit sweaty from having
just unicycled around the park with Gala, my dog.

Then I took a break to read this listserve, and the next time I went
out the socks spun and fell down with each wheel contact. So I had to
add a ring of tape around the top, just below my knee.

If anyone else UWs with this low level of calf protection, let me know
your ideas!

Thanks!

Billy

PS: I don't need ankle biters, though the UW bit my ankle a couple
times, not intolerable. I'm thinking high tops might provide sufficient
ankle protection, too.

But I definitely cannot wear my usual unicycling slip-ons. Must wear
sneakers that TIE up tight, for the extra support.

Your ideas on this are most welcome!

Old October 13th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
disgruntleddave

Mount some rollers on the inside of your legs. Just find some of those
rollers like they have at beer stores to roll 2-4s, or like they used to
have at grocery stores a long time ago for rolling boxes of groceries.
Some of those with some brackets mounted on the inside of your leg and
you're set.

--
disgruntleddave