Ask and ye shall recieve!

Old May 10th 04, 01:55 AM
Karen M.

Default Ask and ye shall recieve!

Hiya folks--
Last week it was determined that my taller niece needs a bigger
bike. She's been riding a 24" wheel Raleigh (found at a thrift for
less than $3) for quite a few years.
I sent a note to all my correspondents in my locale asking for
leads, and specified mountain bike, 26" wheels, teenager-friendly
color/styling. And of course no *.Mart marques.
This morning I was at a buddy's house some distance away, and we
had already discussed the bulk trash pick-up scheduled for tomorrow.
She looked out the window and said, "my neighbors are putting bikes
out in their trash."
Not one, but TWO Nishiki ATBs. Girls bikes. (Nieces' neighbors have
had bike thefts, so a non-popular style is a plus.) Niece-friendly
colors (one is purple). 26" wheels. Creative maintenance but nothing I
can't solve with a few parts.
And was the price ever right!!!
--Karen M.
Old May 11th 04, 09:22 PM
Karen M.

Tom wrote:
...Since there were
two bikes, if you fix them both up and pass one along in a random
act of kindness to someone who needs a bike, maybe you'll keep the
supply coming.

Spoken like an only child! There are two nieces, and perhaps
someday they'll outgrow the "she got something I didn't IT'S NOT
FAIR!!!" garbage. OTOH, given the role model provided by their mother,
perhaps I am dreaming.
Besides, one of the bikes is purple, which is the other niece's
favorite color.
There were three bikes, and I left the Schwinn diamond frame ATB
for the next luck finder.
--Karen M.
Old May 11th 04, 10:06 PM
Pat

I like stray cats. They're cute but I don't have to change the
litter box. However, one's been favoring a rear leg that may be
infected, broken, or have an ingrown nail; and another has a tick in
his neck. Any suggestions? Neither is fond of being touched or too
closely approached. The other one, who does trust me, is of course,
perfectly healthy...

I tried spraying anti-tick stuff, but I'll need to load it into a
squirt gun to get a good shot on him; and the only thing I can think
of for the bum leg is to drug some food...
--
Rick Onanian

Rick, when I was a teen, I worked for a veterinarian. To catch an unruly or
scared cat, we would get a blanket and throw it over him. While he was
trying to figure out which way was "out" we'd scoop him up in an armful of
blanket and cat. You can even examine a cat in a blanket by just uncovering
the part that needs to be examined, and the claws can't tear you up at the
same time.

Pat in TX

Old May 12th 04, 02:06 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:06:05 -0500, "Pat" wrote:
Rick, when I was a teen, I worked for a veterinarian. To catch an unruly or
scared cat, we would get a blanket and throw it over him. While he was
trying to figure out which way was "out" we'd scoop him up in an armful of
blanket and cat. You can even examine a cat in a blanket by just uncovering
the part that needs to be examined, and the claws can't tear you up at the
same time.

Thanks, I'll probably try that...it beats trying to find a safe and
legal way to drug the cat's food.
--
Rick Onanian