Blue railway signals?

Old December 16th 18, 07:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

Default Blue railway signals?

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 09:30:43 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/12/2018 09:25, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/12/2018 19:25, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:21:55 +0000, Fred Johnson wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:22:05 -0000, Max Demian

wrote:

====snip====

Usually hot is on the left.

Seems to be that way on all my sinks, but I'd say in other people's
houses I see it the other way round in about 20% of cases. When I
were
a lad, the bathroom sink was definitely the other way round, can't
remember the kitchen sink.

Back in the day when *cold* running water was a luxury, the tap
(fawcet)
would be mounted on the RHS for ease of use by right handed people (the
majority of the population - most left handers learn soon enough to
become ambidextrous).

The hot tap being a much later luxury add on had to make do with the
only remaining space on the LHS. Thus was the convention of LHS hot/RHS
cold tap placement born. The other way round is usually the result of
lazy plumbing and pure chance.

Any evidence for that? Surely they would put the single tap in the
middle for symmetry. Was there ever a time when hot taps were added as
an extra to an existing cold water tap, rather than installing them
together?

I have seen te odd one like that yes, in pretty old un-renovated
properties back in the 1970s

Sounds like a neat, invented explanation.

That I agree with.

As soon as twin taps were vthe norm for some reaosn sonmeone decided
that the right hand more often than not wanted the cold tap

Depends on the person. I always wash my hands in cold water, I don't see
the need for hot water to dissolve a bar of soap. Some people always use
hot water, for comfort I think.

Yeah, I used to in winter but don't bother anymore, just use cold.

Prior to that the cold tap was generally either central or in an random
corner

Probably just depending in where the pipe happened to be. Why run it
further than necessary?

So they look the same.

Mind you, you'd think a sink designed for one tap would have one hole, in
one place.

None of mine have a hole, the tap goes in the
surround that has a hole that the sink or
laundry tub goes into.

Old December 16th 18, 08:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 09:35:33 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

o.uk...

wrote:

[...]

Corse there was.

Sounds like a neat, invented explanation.

Then you need a new hearing aid, bad.

Yet again you disagree without providing any reasoning or evidence for
your point of view.

Not needed in that case. Clearly with the older houses that
only had a cold water tap, from the rain water tank outside,
which later had a hot water service added, there would be
a hot tap added to an existing cold water tap.

Old December 16th 18, 08:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Dave W[_3_]

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 21:38:15 -0000, "Kristy Ogilvie"
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:54:44 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Snip
Wrong, as always.

I suggested only morons would choose the wrong way, and you added ******s to that list.

I have kill-filed Rod Speed, with his perpetual "Wrong, as always". I
implore you not to feed the trolls, so as not to subject us to pages
of bickering which you will never win.
--
Dave W
Old December 16th 18, 08:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Kristy Ogilvie

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:54:44 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Snip
Wrong, as always.

I suggested only morons would choose the wrong way, and you added ******s to that list.

I have kill-filed Rod Speed, with his perpetual "Wrong, as always". I
implore you not to feed the trolls, so as not to subject us to pages
of bickering which you will never win.

If you killfile properly, you won't see replies to him either. Very easy to put "if body contains" "Rod Speed".

Don't expect everyone else to killfile the same people as you do.
Old December 16th 18, 08:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Kristy Ogilvie

wrote:

[...]

Since soap dissolves in cold just as well, and it's only for seconds you have your hands in the water, I fail to see the point in having it warm. Also, since most people have the hot water actually hot, you'd need to mix cold and hot to wash your hands, even more effort.

Prior to that the cold tap was generally either central or in an random
corner

Probably just depending in where the pipe happened to be. Why run it
further than necessary?

So they look the same.

Only people with OCD care.

Mind you, you'd think a sink designed for one tap would have one hole, in
one place.

None of mine have a hole, the tap goes in the
surround that has a hole that the sink or
laundry tub goes into.

Was your house made in the 50s?
Old December 16th 18, 09:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 20:36:18 +0000, Dave W, an especially mentally
deficient, troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

I suggested only morons would choose the wrong way, and you added ******s to that list.

I have kill-filed Rod Speed, with his perpetual "Wrong, as always". I
implore you not to feed the trolls, so as not to subject us to pages
of bickering which you will never win.

....says a troll-feeding senile idiot to the even bigger troll and
sociopathic attention whore Hucker himself! LMAO
Old December 16th 18, 09:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 06:49:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Very few are that colorblind and those who are

FLUSH troll****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."
Old December 16th 18, 09:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 06:57:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Yeah, I used to in winter but don't bother anymore, just use cold.

Soon YOU will be cold and have reached room temperature, you 85-year-old
senile pest! BG

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Old December 16th 18, 09:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Johnny B Good

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 16:06:30 +0000, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:

====snip====

I'm not colour blind, and I don't look directly at the traffic lights.
I see red or green out of the corner of my eye and act accordingly. If
they suddenly became the same or very similar colours, I'd make mistakes
regularly. Are you saying a colour blind person already knows to look
carefully at things? I can't think of where else colour and position
are that important.

You can't detect colour 'out of the corner of your eye' (nor very much
detail for that matter). However, what peripheral vision is good for, is
detecting changes in luminance levels which can alert you to potential
danger or reward (depending on whether you're the 'prey' or the
'predator').

Traffic lights don't rely solely upon colour for their function since
the position of the 'stop', 'prepare to stop' and 'proceed with caution'
lamps has been standardised, not only with colour blindness in mind but
also to speed up response/interpretation times in general.

Distant railway signals can't benefit from the layout of the signalling
lamps, leaving colour as the only useful marker which makes good colour
vision a vital requirement in the qualification of any train driver.

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 16th 18, 09:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 07:00:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Not needed in that case. Clearly with the older houses that
only had a cold water tap, from the rain water tank outside,
which later had a hot water service added, there would be
a hot tap added to an existing cold water tap.

YOU need several real hard taps with a hammer on your stupid senile head,
senile Rot!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Hand signals from car Tough Guy no. 1265 UK 87 October 25th 15 03:17 PM
Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Invicta Men's Chronograph Blue Leather Blue Dial Watch 3314 [email protected] UK 0 April 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 01:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM