We are breeding Couch Potatoes

Old March 1st 11, 02:51 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default We are breeding Couch Potatoes

On Feb 28, 10:03 pm, Neolibertarian wrote:
In article
,
"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante Banana"

wrote:

This is Ray Kroc's fault?

"Don't make your product too available!" you protest. "Don't give me
what I want!" you scream. "You're evil if you provide what I ask for,
when I ask for it, just the way I like it!" you whine.

'The Jungle' though reveals some eternal truths:

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job
depends on not understanding it. -Upton Sinclair

There's always a Bradley Manning in any organization. Otherwise, where
would the Sinclairs of this world get their material?

Our children are submitted to a triple attack:

1- Junk food, TV advertising in Scandinavian countries is banned for
children under 12 and limited in the UK (second fattest nation),

2- Consumption (toys, etc) ditto,

3- No physical activity, I've seen only one community where the
children timidly ride bikes on sidewalks (a Jewish town). You may
consider them "crazy" or brave to do so and rebel.

In other words, WE ARE BREEDING COUCH POTATOES AND CONSUMERS.

Define "we."

"We the people"... We Americans have the highest obesity in the world.

My girlfriend's son (Jehova's Witness, waiting for Jesus) is 30
something, obese and diabetic. They don't have much of a chance in the
fast food, couch potato culture.

Believe it or not, there are millions and millions and millions of
Americans who aren't diabetic, aren't obese, and aren't couch potatoes.
Yet they live in the exact same culture under the exact same
circumstances.

Yeah, the choose the narrow winding path. They probably go to a gym in
order and then drive a truck to launch the bike.

How is that?

This catch all phrase "culture" needs to be defined even more than "we."

Outlawing temptation isn't any way for a free man to behave in a free
society, Mr. Imam.

In other words, a tight miniskirt and open blouse didn't cause that man
to rape the girl.

Hey, I'm all for freedoms, including the ones you fight with so much
zeal such as the War on Drugs to keep America "Drug Free."

When are you winning that one?