Destroying the indestructable

Old November 24th 08, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Destroying the indestructable

I took a small group out for a cycle ride on Sunday.

Just outside the Rainham Marsh bird hide I punctured my Marathon Plus
tyres. I was looking over my shoulder to check everyone in my group
was OK when I ran over a spike in the cycle track. This spike was a
3/8 bolt with the thread end upward, exposed about 1 1/2 inches.
(There were two of then but I only ran over one). The bolt pierced my
rear Marathon plus tyre and punctured my inner tube. The tyre is a
write off, though I was able to replace the tube and struggle on.

We crossed the Thames at the Dartford Bridge, the crossing patrol
helfully loading our bikes onto a trailer and us into their cars
before driving us over. We returned home by train.

My new tube exploded soon after I got home, but at least I was safely
off the bike by then. Hmmm... Lucky.
Old November 25th 08, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 24 Nov, 21:44, Tom Crispin
wrote:
The tyre is a
write off, though I was able to replace the tube and struggle on.

How come the tyre was a write-off? Did the bolt do more than just
make a hole?

In about 3 years and many thousands of miles I've only once managed to
pierce my M+, with a long thin piece of stiff wire on a towpath. I
was considering stopping bothering carrying a pump and puncture kit,
but I guess your story proves that everything man-made fails
eventually.
Old November 25th 08, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

POHB wrote:
On 24 Nov, 21:44, Tom Crispin
wrote:
The tyre is a
write off, though I was able to replace the tube and struggle on.

How come the tyre was a write-off? Did the bolt do more than just
make a hole?

Even if it was "just" a hole, I would imagine it was a big one! "This spike
was a
3/8 bolt with the thread end upward, exposed about 1 1/2 inches." Sounds
bad enough to damage the rim, let alone the tyre.

It is possible to repair large holes and splits by patching with casing
material from another tyre, but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to. It
is easier and less worrying to replace the tyre.

~PB

Old November 25th 08, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

Dennis Davis wrote:

It is possible to repair large holes and splits by patching with
casing material from another tyre, but I don't blame anyone for not
wanting to. It is easier and less worrying to replace the tyre.

But this is worth doing as a temporary, get-you-home measure and
carrying a tyre "boot" for the job. See:

http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html#tirerepair

As Sheldon indicates, a folded-up crisp new fiver may do the job.
I've not tried this, but years'an'years ago I used a 1000 peseta
note in Spain for this purpose. Not sure if the new euro-notes
would be as effective :-)

For temporary repair, I carry a Park Tyre Boot. Costs less than a fiver,
retains high pressure, and is self-adhesive to make placement quick & easy.

~PB

Old November 25th 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dennis Davis

In the referenced article, "Pete Biggs" writes:
POHB wrote:

--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK

Old November 25th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dennis Davis

In the referenced article, "Pete Biggs" t writes:
Dennis Davis wrote:

As Sheldon indicates, a folded-up crisp new fiver may do the job.
I've not tried this, but years'an'years ago I used a 1000 peseta
note in Spain for this purpose. Not sure if the new euro-notes
would be as effective :-)

For temporary repair, I carry a Park Tyre Boot. Costs less than
a fiver, retains high pressure, and is self-adhesive to make
placement quick & easy.

Hmmm, get yourself a folded-up crisp new Scottish pound note & some
double-sided sticky tape. Even cheaper!

Add this life-changing experience to your CV and I'm sure you'll
qualify as Scrooge in the Christmas panto :-)

Yes, I know. I'll get my overcoat and leave...where's the door?
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK

Old November 25th 08, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
daren

Dennis Davis wrote:

As Sheldon indicates, a folded-up crisp new fiver may do the job.
I've not tried this, but years'an'years ago I used a 1000 peseta
note in Spain for this purpose. *Not sure if the new euro-notes
would be as effective :-)

For temporary repair, I carry a Park Tyre Boot. Costs less than
a fiver, retains high pressure, and is self-adhesive to make
placement quick & easy.

Isn't this becuase $ are CLOTH not paper? I used a powerbar gel
wrapper to bridge a slash of 1" across my brompton rear tyre whilst
riding down the flint tracks in the New Forest with the kids. Managed
a further 10 miles before tyre replacement back home. Pretty costly
event, as I bought a new Airnimal Rhino to fix the underlying
problem :-)

daren
---
remove outer garment for reply
Old November 25th 08, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:21:25 -0800 (PST)
daren wrote:

Isn't this becuase $ are CLOTH not paper?

Most banknotes are made of paper (plastic ones have been introduced in
some places) with a high cotton/linen or similar natural fibre content.
It may also be reinforced with synthetic fibres and is usually treated
to resist dirt and moisture.

Old November 25th 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Clark

In message
daren wrote:

Isn't this becuase $ are CLOTH not paper? I used a powerbar gel
wrapper to bridge a slash of 1" across my brompton rear tyre whilst
riding down the flint tracks in the New Forest with the kids. Managed
a further 10 miles before tyre replacement back home. Pretty costly
event, as I bought a new Airnimal Rhino to fix the underlying
problem :-)

Could I say what an excellent solution that was!

http://picasaweb.google.com/mrc7cam/...nges/photo#map

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old November 25th 08, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
For temporary repair, I carry a Park Tyre Boot. Costs less than a
fiver, retains high pressure, and is self-adhesive to make placement
quick & easy.

A piece of toothpaste tube does all that except adhere, and costs even
less. I don't think self-adhesive matters, as the pressure in the
tube holds it in place just fine.

Yeahbut you have to hold it in the right place as the tyre and tube is
fitted. It is easier with adhesive. I want roadside repairs to be as easy
as possible.

~PB