BB's longevity

Old July 11th 05, 11:29 PM
Leon

Default BB's longevity

How long is road bike Bottom Brackets (BB) life in distance?
Do I have to replace my Campagnolo AC-H BB every year (7000 km)?

Old July 11th 05, 11:56 PM
Bill Sornson

Leon wrote:

How long is road bike Bottom Brackets (BB) life in distance?

Until it fails.

Do I have to replace my Campagnolo AC-H BB every year (7000 km)?

Heavens no.

Bill "really" S.

Old July 12th 05, 12:14 AM
Dan Lenski

Leon wrote:
How long is road bike Bottom Brackets (BB) life in distance?
Do I have to replace my Campagnolo AC-H BB every year (7000 km)?

Cartridge bottom brackets last a really long time... Usually the way
they fail is that water/dirt gets into them and you can feel the
grittiness. I rode a low end rigid steel Raleigh mountain bike for 4
years in college and abused the heck out of the thing, riding
everywhere standing up, leaving it out in the rain. After 4 years the
bottom bracket SPINDLE finally snapped in half :-)

Old July 12th 05, 03:28 AM
Pete Biggs

Leon wrote:
How long is road bike Bottom Brackets (BB) life in distance?
Do I have to replace my Campagnolo AC-H BB every year (7000 km)?

One should last at least a few years at that rate. But it will wear out
prematurely if fitted tightly to a frame with some problem that causes the
bearings to bind.

~PB

Old July 12th 05, 02:08 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Leon wrote:
How long is road bike Bottom Brackets (BB) life in distance?
Do I have to replace my Campagnolo AC-H BB every year (7000 km)?

hardly. If smooth and no play, just ride it. I have seen these
inexpensive but very smooth BBs last for years and many kms. Make sure
the frame is prepped as the cups live against the BB shell edges.

Old July 12th 05, 03:22 PM
Leon

Thanks for the advices, everybody.

Old July 12th 05, 09:36 PM
Andrew W

Bottom bracket in my newest bike is fine after 18000 miles (3 years), I
won't consider replacing it unless there is an obvious problem (if it
runs smooth with no play then it is fine for a few more miles yet).

Old July 12th 05, 10:52 PM
John Everett

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:29:31 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

How long is road bike Bottom Brackets (BB) life in distance?
Do I have to replace my Campagnolo AC-H BB every year (7000 km)?

From an article I posted here earlier this year:

"An anecdote: Many years ago I replaced the cup and cone BB on my late
'80s Trek 1400 with a UN-53 cartridge unit. I liked the idea of a
cartridge BB so much I decided to replace the Dura Ace cup and cone
unit in my Vitus 992 with an appropriate cartridge, but only when the
cup and cone wore out. I decided to ride it until I heard a "crunch,
crunch, crunch". Five years later I though it was time for a complete
refurb on that bike. I pulled the BB out and it still looked great, so
when I put the bike back together I put the old BB back in, only I
used new balls, eliminated the cages, and added a ball to each side.

"About three weeks ago I pulled that bike apart again and the races
still look like new. I'm planning on reassembling it with the old BB
still in place, but again with new balls.

"So the bike is now entering its fourteenth season with the original
BB still going strong. I've long since lost track of the mileage on
that bike but it has to be in excess of 50,000."

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old July 13th 05, 12:23 AM
Donald Gillies

I don't care how much you abused it if a bottom bracket lasts only 4
years with daily use then you got ripped off. In my opinion, a decent
bottom bracket should last at least a decade or 10,000 mi, whichever
comes first.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Bikes With Short Top Tubes and High Front Ends - WAS:Interpreting Serotta Fit Cycle Data For Other Manufacturers? itsfred General 6 April 4th 05 10:28 PM
Bikes With Short Top Tubes and High Front Ends - WAS:Interpreting Serotta Fit Cycle Data For Other Manufacturers? Mike Jacoubowsky Techniques 4 April 4th 05 10:28 PM
Nexus longevity? Oldskoolskater UK 22 August 26th 04 04:22 PM
Do aluminum frames wear out? Chris Hansen General 172 April 29th 04 10:18 AM
saddle longevity Jean Techniques 4 November 3rd 03 07:56 PM