high temperature damaging floor pump?

Old July 14th 05, 03:09 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default high temperature damaging floor pump?

Is there any risk to a floor pump kept in a car in the summer from
high temperatures?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old July 14th 05, 06:43 AM
Bill Sornson

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
Is there any risk to a floor pump kept in a car in the summer from
high temperatures?

Might melt the little rubber grommet thingy?

Bill "you're safe from explosions" S.

Old July 14th 05, 11:42 AM
Dale Benjamin

I had a Bell composite pump that worked for a couple years before I left it in
the back of my car, then the main tube warped. Still worked, just a little bit
fussy.

Pumps aren't going to last forever, the rubber gasket needs lubrication, and the
lubrication causes deterioration, so if you get three or four years out of one,
that's all she wrote. Some people have got much longer use out of them, depends
on how lucky you are.

Like the other poster said, the rubber parts are going to deteriorate much more
quickly in the trunk, where temperatures can get kind of high.

Old July 14th 05, 03:17 PM
Robert Perkins

Dale Benjamin wrote:
Pumps aren't going to last forever, the rubber gasket needs lubrication, and the
lubrication causes deterioration, so if you get three or four years out of one,
that's all she wrote. Some people have got much longer use out of them, depends
on how lucky you are.

Tell that to my 20-year-old Silca floorpump. Now I feel better about
not replacing it with an easier-to-pump newfangled one. I have replaced
the leather pump gasket once, put on a different head, and repainted it.

Rob
Old July 14th 05, 04:08 PM
wle

is there any lube that will not kill the rubber?

wle.

Old July 14th 05, 04:34 PM
Bruce Jackson

Dale Benjamin wrote:
Pumps aren't going to last forever, the rubber gasket needs lubrication,
and the lubrication causes deterioration, so if you get three or four
years out of one, that's all she wrote. Some people have got much
longer use out of them, depends on how lucky you are.

I have an over 20 year old Medai pump that is still kicking. We used
it at a bike shop I worked at. The owner was convinced it was worn out
so he threw it away. I fished it from the dumpster, fixed it, took it
home, and have been using it ever since. The only maintenance is
masaging some grease into the leather plunger and fixing the hose when
it bursts. Unfortunately the pump is not very efficient so it takes
more strokes than most pumps. Last year my wife insisted that I get a
new pump. I still have the old Medai to loan to people when they need
one. Begars can't be choosers y'know.
--
Bruce

Old July 14th 05, 07:27 PM
Doug Huffman

I wonder how pump efficiency might be measured ... and worsened? (F x d) -
(heat of compression) - (heat of piston contacts) is the numerator. What
will you put in the denominator? And I just noticed IEEE.org

"Bruce Jackson" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old July 14th 05, 07:50 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:09:08 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

Is there any risk to a floor pump kept in a car in the summer from
high temperatures?

Plastic bits may warp or shrink in the heat. Other than that, it
shouldn't matter.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 15th 05, 03:22 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Bruce Jackson" wrote: (clip) Last year my wife insisted that I get a new
pump.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There could be some question about the pump, but don't get a new wife!

Old July 15th 05, 03:56 AM
jim beam

Bruce Jackson wrote:
Dale Benjamin wrote:

Pumps aren't going to last forever, the rubber gasket needs lubrication,
and the lubrication causes deterioration, so if you get three or four
years out of one, that's all she wrote. Some people have got much
longer use out of them, depends on how lucky you are.

I have an over 20 year old Medai pump that is still kicking. We used
it at a bike shop I worked at. The owner was convinced it was worn out
so he threw it away. I fished it from the dumpster, fixed it, took it
home, and have been using it ever since. The only maintenance is
masaging some grease into the leather plunger and fixing the hose when
it bursts. Unfortunately the pump is not very efficient so it takes
more strokes than most pumps.

it's not inefficiency, it's low volume which in turn allows high
pressure. maybe not so relevant today with lower pressure clinchers,
but very important for high pressure tubie riders.