Wireless on recumbents (RANS Stratus)

Old December 18th 03, 03:49 PM
RVC

Default Wireless on recumbents (RANS Stratus)

I've just purchased a Stratus and wonder if any improvements have been made
in the wireless computer world ? I've read the archives and it appears the
main problem(s) is/are transmission distance and durability. I can mount by
Garmin eTrex Vista on the bike as a solution, but would prefer a bike
computer.

Any recommendations, to include waiting for improvements! :-)

Thanks!

RVC, USMC(Ret)

Old December 18th 03, 04:38 PM
Robert Siegel

The new Mavic Win Tour is about to be imported. At a list price of $129 with
cadence it is VERY pricy but supposedly is a breakthrough in wireless.

--
Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

Old December 18th 03, 05:11 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Cletus Lee" skrev...
As a former Stratus owner, I initially experimentd with wireless. AFAIK, all wireless
transmitters have a range limited to about 70cm. This excluded the Rans Stratus H/B to front
wheel. I did mount a wireless on a Crono 'Nob' attached to the top tube near the headtube.
While it worked, it was out of reach and the night light feature was useless.

As I mentioned elsewhere Mavic is coming out with a wireless.
http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mav...=uk&news.id=70
Digital so might be better. Doesn't say how long the range is
but it should work on a VK2. Nice that the skewer has the sensor
and you can get a wireless cadence kit too.

Review when my LBS gets it. Sometime in the new year I think.

Mikael
Old December 18th 03, 11:03 PM
Mark Leuck

"Mikael Seierup" wrote in message

"Cletus Lee" skrev...
As a former Stratus owner, I initially experimentd with wireless. AFAIK,

all wireless
transmitters have a range limited to about 70cm. This excluded the Rans

Stratus H/B to front
wheel. I did mount a wireless on a Crono 'Nob' attached to the top tube

near the headtube.
While it worked, it was out of reach and the night light feature was

useless.

As I mentioned elsewhere Mavic is coming out with a wireless.
http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mav...=uk&news.id=70
Digital so might be better. Doesn't say how long the range is
but it should work on a VK2. Nice that the skewer has the sensor
and you can get a wireless cadence kit too.

Review when my LBS gets it. Sometime in the new year I think.

Mikael

If HERE means the US its for sale here

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=3&minor=2

Old December 18th 03, 11:43 PM
Robert Siegel

"Here" means 100% of MSRP. The street price should drop 25% to 30 % quickly
after gotta-have-one-first buyers have grabbed up theirs.

Old December 19th 03, 08:11 AM
Mikael Seierup

"Mark Leuck" skrev...
If HERE means the US its for sale here

Nope it means out in the fringes of the civilized world... Denmark ;-)
LBS is getting it soon.

Mikael
Old December 19th 03, 01:22 AM
Cletus D. Lee

In article ,
says...

"Cletus Lee" skrev...
As a former Stratus owner, I initially experimentd with wireless. AFAIK, all wireless
transmitters have a range limited to about 70cm. This excluded the Rans Stratus H/B to front
wheel. I did mount a wireless on a Crono 'Nob' attached to the top tube near the headtube.
While it worked, it was out of reach and the night light feature was useless.

As I mentioned elsewhere Mavic is coming out with a wireless.
http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mav...=uk&news.id=70
Digital so might be better. Doesn't say how long the range is
but it should work on a VK2. Nice that the skewer has the sensor
and you can get a wireless cadence kit too.

Review when my LBS gets it. Sometime in the new year I think.

Two comments:
1. Curiously missing from Mavic's website are any useful information
like range and installation instructions. If the range is still limited
to 70cm, 'Bent users are still out of luck and worse since the
transmitter is located at the axle and not the rim.
2. With wired Magnets and sensors, if the sensor is placed too near the
SON Hub, the computer malfunctions. I am wondering if the Skewer
mounted transmitter will work with a SON Hub.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro
Old December 21st 03, 02:19 AM
brian hughes

"Cletus Lee" wrote in message
Another choice, a Garmin Geko. uses GPS for speed and distance. No wheel

magnet. It does under report speed by about 1.5% over a well calibrated
wired computer.

My Garmin Geko doesn't under report speed--it's right on.