How to really annoy mr plod...

Old December 9th 04, 07:32 PM
flyingdutch

Default How to really annoy mr plod...

In the nicest possible way, of course!

Riding home last night approx 1am along the north side of Burnley Gol
course and come across a booze bus setup.
Single lane so cant just ride around it. Wait in line and the
officers smile and joke "anyone brave enuff to be out on a bike at thi
time must be drunk. hehe".
"Wouldnt matter" i joke "you cant book a cyclist for drink-ridin
anyway" with a smile.
""Oh yeah we could" (he's still smiling).
(in a moment of skoolyard impulse) "How much you wanna bet?" i says
A couple of other bored officers have come over now thinking we a
arguing.
"As much as you like" he says confidently.
"$1,000" i say.
he hesitates. pride is comin round the corner now.

"Check the rules. I take Visa" (big smile for that one)
He mutters and one of the other uniforms is now on the talkie to 'HQ'.
"Hey, mick" (why are they always 'mick'???).
"He's right. hahaha. Some loophole Boss says..."

By this stage im smilin like a big-smilin-like-thing and trying not t
LOL.
Plod mutters and wonders if Im gonna ctry and collect.
"OK. you can go".
I start ridin. leaving behind me the sounds of half a dozen cops in th
dark takein the pish outa 'mick

--
flyingdutch

Old December 9th 04, 08:33 PM
Ray Peace

flyingdutch wrote:

In the nicest possible way, of course!

Riding home last night approx 1am along the north side of Burnley Golf
course and come across a booze bus setup.
Single lane so cant just ride around it. Wait in line and the 2
officers smile and joke "anyone brave enuff to be out on a bike at this
time must be drunk. hehe".
"Wouldnt matter" i joke "you cant book a cyclist for drink-riding
anyway" with a smile.
""Oh yeah we could" (he's still smiling).
(in a moment of skoolyard impulse) "How much you wanna bet?" i says
A couple of other bored officers have come over now thinking we ar
arguing.
"As much as you like" he says confidently.
"$1,000" i say.
he hesitates. pride is comin round the corner now.

"Check the rules. I take Visa" (big smile for that one)
He mutters and one of the other uniforms is now on the talkie to 'HQ'.
"Hey, mick" (why are they always 'mick'???).
"He's right. hahaha. Some loophole Boss says..."

By this stage im smilin like a big-smilin-like-thing and trying not to
LOL.
Plod mutters and wonders if Im gonna ctry and collect.
"OK. you can go".
I start ridin. leaving behind me the sounds of half a dozen cops in the
dark takein the pish outa 'mick'

Greetings,
You can also annoy the fuzz when they pull you up for
speeding (!) This happened to me only once, 70 in a 60 zone in
Healesville, Vic. The officer in question looked down his nose at me and
said, `You got a licence to drive that thing?' I have had bikes up
faster, 85 k/mh in several different places, but not in restricted speed
zones.
Regards,
Ray.
Old December 9th 04, 08:34 PM
Peter McCallum

flyingdutch wrote:

[...]

In Qld at least, the rule is that you can't be guilty of riding a
bicycle with greater than the prescribed concentration of alcohol in
your blood because there is no limit prescribed for cyclists (don't try
this one on in a boat, or michael will be asking you to row that boat
ashore).

You can, however, be booked for riding under the influence of alcohol.
The proof of this is more difficult and includes things such as slurred
speech, lack of balance, appearance, odour, etc. If you are convicted,
the potential fine is greater than for entry-level drink driving.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old December 9th 04, 09:19 PM
hippy

"flyingdutch"
In the nicest possible way, of course!

Riding home last night approx 1am along the north side of Burnley Golf

That's not an all-nighter! :-P

"Wouldnt matter" i joke "you cant book a cyclist for drink-riding
anyway" with a smile.

Really? I thought you can get done for DD with any vehicle
on pubic roads?

"Check the rules. I take Visa" (big smile for that one)

Nice!
I would've got a night stick across the back of the skull for that..

I really did think that anyone could be booked for drink
vehicle operating.. time for a ****up night ride!!

hippy

Old December 9th 04, 09:22 PM
MJP501

Peter McCallum Wrote:

You can, however, be booked for riding under the influence of alcohol
The proof of this is more difficult and includes things such as slurre
speech, lack of balance, appearance, odour, etc.
I'd better be careful. That sounds just like me after most of my lon

rides ..

--
MJP501

Old December 9th 04, 09:22 PM
Buk

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Fight the power! Now that you've cleared up the whole "cycling and drink
driving" thing, I'm off to get ****ed and ride around the block.....

Old December 9th 04, 09:45 PM
Gemma Kernich

"hippy" wrote in message
I really did think that anyone could be booked for drink
vehicle operating.. time for a ****up night ride!!

It probably depends on what State you're in. In SA you cannot be randomly
breath tested whilst riding a bicycle, but you can be tested if it's not
'random' - ie they you have to be 'wobbly' or already crashed before they
test/book you. Same for riding a horse I believe! They can still get
you....

Old December 9th 04, 10:31 PM
TimC

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 at 21:45 GMT, Gemma Kernich (aka Bruce)

"hippy" wrote in message
I really did think that anyone could be booked for drink
vehicle operating.. time for a ****up night ride!!

It probably depends on what State you're in. In SA you cannot be randomly
breath tested whilst riding a bicycle, but you can be tested if it's not
'random' - ie they you have to be 'wobbly' or already crashed before they
test/book you.

Or "arguing" with the plod man?

"A distributed system is one in which I cannot get something done
because a machine I've never heard of is down." -- Leslie Lamport
Old December 9th 04, 11:38 PM
Terry Collins

flyingdutch wrote:
"anyone brave enuff to be out on a bike at this
time must be drunk. hehe".
"Wouldnt matter" i joke "you cant book a cyclist for drink-riding
anyway" with a smile.

Must be a Vic exception.
Family history records that a great grandfather was occassionally booked
and fined for "drunk in charge of a bicycle" or something similar (NSW).
Plod was apparently pretty fierce on stuff like that around Leeton in
those days.
Old December 10th 04, 12:38 AM
Peter McCallum

Terry Collins wrote:
flyingdutch wrote:
"anyone brave enuff to be out on a bike at this
time must be drunk. hehe".
"Wouldnt matter" i joke "you cant book a cyclist for drink-riding
anyway" with a smile.

Must be a Vic exception.
Family history records that a great grandfather was occassionally booked
and fined for "drunk in charge of a bicycle" or something similar (NSW).
Plod was apparently pretty fierce on stuff like that around Leeton in
those days.

The OP has obviously heard that cyclists (pedestrians, horse riders,
etc) don't have to submit to a breath test (in some states -- check it
out locally) and confused this with being able to ride a bicycle while
drunk.

You may submit to a breath test if you wish, and the police will use it
as evidence in court (which you could easily object to), but they have
no power to compel you to submit to one. If you are wobbling all over
the road, falling off your bike, sluring you words, smelling of alcohol,
etc, then you are likely to be charged with driving under the influence
of alcohol or a drug. Otherwise the police will probably ignore you.

It's interesting to note that the Qld law says that you can be guilty of
an offence if you attempt to put in motion a non-motor vehicle while
under the influence of alcohol. Presumably this means you could be
booked for walking your bike while drunk.

According to Qld law, a driver of a motor vehicle is deemed to be
automatically driving under the influence of alcohol if their blood
alcohol concentration is above 0.15%. My guess is that that means a
cyclist can legally drink three times the quantity of alcohol that a
motorist can and remain legal. Whether that is safe is a matter for your
judgement.

I wonder whether any NSW Supreme Court judges read this forum?

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

More plod on bicycles in Norwich wafflycat UK 3 September 30th 05 09:24 PM
Plod on a bike works wonders wafflycat UK 8 September 13th 05 08:53 AM
Good old Plod ;-) \(t'other\) Dave UK 18 April 24th 04 08:20 AM
240 Ways To Annoy People myocardial Unicycling 17 November 6th 03 12:52 AM
Nearly knocked off by the plod. Simon Mason UK 6 September 25th 03 11:24 PM