giraffe unicycle, which one?

Old January 12th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default giraffe unicycle, which one?

i have birth day coming up and i know i want a unicycle and im not sure
if i should just jump into trials already so i have toyed with the idea
of getting a giraffe unicycle...but from what i hear giraffe unicycle
cant handle much and cant be ridden of any thing that isnt flat
(correct me if iwas wrong its just what i heard) and i was wondering if
there was a giraffe unicycle that could hold up 2 some bumpy/ rough
terrain (nothing searious just i dont live close 2 much flat or paved
land)

if any come 2 mind plz let me now
thanks

--
dorfman

i started unicycling on christmas 05
on that day i accomplished
forward unicycling 40ft
freemounting 6 times succesfulling
number of strange looks recieved whilst learning 34(i counted)
dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

Old January 12th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

dorfman wrote:
i have toyed with the idea of getting a giraffe unicycle...but from what
i hear giraffe unicycle cant handle much and cant be ridden of any
thing that isnt flat (correct me if iwas wrong its just what i heard)
and i was wondering if there was a giraffe unicycle that could hold up
2 some bumpy/ rough terrain

There have been some riders that have done muni on a giraffe, most
notably Scot Cooper. See 'this thread' (http://tinyurl.com/84c8j) for
discussion and a picture. That said, it's a valid question to ask why
you would want to. Scot is a world class rider, and it seems to me he
did it more to show he could than because it made for good muni or
trials. I think you'd be better off deciding what you're most
interested in, and getting the right uni to support that. Giraffes are
fun, but in my view they're really a "nice to have" once you have the
other basic areas covered. Unless you're main thing is freestyle or
parade riding or entertainment, then it would move into the "required"
category.

In general, stock giraffes aren't that strong. According to the thread
linked above, Scot did some fortifying of his beyond tossing on a
knobby tire. He posts occassionally here (scot), so you might send him
a PM to discuss if you're really interested in pursuing that idea.

TB

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

Old January 12th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Giraffes do magnify the difficulty of rough terrain riding enormously,
small bumps can throw you very easily, if you don't have any paved
surface near you you're probably best not buying one, a trials unicycle
will probably provide a lot more use and enjoyment.

--
kington99

Dave

Old January 12th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

we build one by our self which is good for a lot of tricks and also for
some Trial. There is a small clip on 'http://www.unicycle.tv'
(http://www.einrad.tv/main-eg.htm)TwoBig) where you can see it but I
make a better one actually. You could mount every 20" Wheel you like

--
olarf

visit 'unicycle.tv' (http://www.unicycle.tv)
olarf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10588

Old January 12th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I got the torker tx for my birthday. mistake . I really wouldn't
recomend getting a girrafe unless your want one for entertainment
purposes because it was cool for the first three weeks and then I never
rode it much again.

Yeah, I'd say to go for a splined trials unicycle. It provides much
more fun in my opinion. I wasn't very good at all at trials before I
got my trials unicycle (and still am not).

--
squeegy
squeegy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8521

Old January 13th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I just got an old girraffe and freestyle from a guy down my street for
40 dollars. Girraffes are really fun, but I agree with everyone else,
they serve no practical purpose other than performing. Ive had it for
less than two hours and I know it wont be used to often, but $40
dollars for two unicycles? who could resist!

I'm afraid to freemount it, so far climbing onto the roof of my car has
worked just fine. Its easier than riding a normal unicycle once you are
up there. However, I suggest that your first ride on it is not in the
dark on an icey driveway, ouch my knee.

--
Brian O.

Old January 13th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

hey mr. Blackwood. Could you please repost a link to the thread on
giraffe-muni you had mentioned?

Looks interesting.

Thanks.

--
Murde Mental

"You make love demon style." ~Kristine

Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one who's little path would make me
sad, whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666. There was a
little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan
Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

Old January 13th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Murde Mental wrote:
hey mr. Blackwood. Could you please repost a link to the thread on
giraffe-muni you had mentioned? Looks interesting.

Sorry 'bout that. 'Here' (http://tinyurl.com/du8t3) it is. Not sure
what happened, but the dead link was probably due to me trying to
delete the code showing the Searched-Upon words in red highlight. Given
the recent threads on that, I was trying to not bring that into play.

So look at the highlighted words and you'll get a sense for how I found
the thread.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

Old January 13th 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

@ Murde Mental:

The clip I linked to shows also an Muni Giraffe ! It's not used as,
BoBo do a stand up wheelwalk on it but it has a maxxis 2,5 and we go up
and down stairs with it and it bounce very well
It is very strong and not so high. As a result of the two wheels you
could make all tricks you used on a normal Uni
It is no twice ! Its powered by a chain !
I will cut of some better clips tonight to show you more ortions of
this giraffe.
I could imagine this giraffe in your hands would be awesome
I would like to see the face of the policeman when you going forward on
this vehicle