Help: How to UPD a Giraffe unicycle?

Old May 27th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Help: How to UPD a Giraffe unicycle?

One more of us, one less of them... and one more of us with sore knees.

So, I've converted another b*ke into a Giraffe 29'er (greared to nearly
1:1) and I can't figure out how to land when I UPD. It seems I land one
foot first with my knee locked straight then break into a bit of a run.
After a few dismounts I'm hurting.

How do you normally run out of a UPD off a Giraffe or a Big wheel? I'd
rather not learn how to combat role every time I UPD.

--
UNIquelyCanadian

~Cameron
Macro Photography: _www.camerondonaldson.com__

“When someone tells you there is no such thing as truth, they are
asking you not to believe them. So don’t.”
- Dr. Roger Scruton
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

Old May 27th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

locked joints, there is your problem.

landing from high places involve no locking of joints, or you do
damage.

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

Old May 27th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Learning to roll out safely is extremely helpful. Also wearing pads,
just in case. A helmet is a MUST, and 661 shin guards are good for you
too.
But yes, learn to roll out.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://www.barefoothippie.com)
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

*♥ Unicycle For Peace ♥*

Old May 27th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Come to a complete stop. Pop the seat out in front of you, then jump
down behind the unicycle. You'll land standing behind it, with it still
upright in front of you. The crowd will burst into applause!

You can dismount to the rear. First kill your speed, then either let
yourself fall back (holding the wheel still), or let the wheel roll out
to drop straight down.

Going off the front tends to put more pressure on the joints, I think.
You should only use that method if you're falling off. Be sure you know
how to drop and roll as mentioned above. At 29" speeds it's going to
happen sometimes, and you'll really benefit from knowing how to protect
yourself if you're going at or above running speed when you lose it.

And especially, no locked joints!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

Old May 27th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

UNIquelyCanadian wrote:
One more of us, one less of them... and one more of us with sore knees.

So, I've converted another b*ke into a Giraffe 29'er (greared to nearly
1:1) and I can't figure out how to land when I UPD. It seems I land one
foot first with my knee locked straight then break into a bit of a run.
After a few dismounts I'm hurting.

How do you normally run out of a UPD off a Giraffe or a Big wheel? I'd
rather not learn how to combat role every time I UPD.

The two most important things when dismounting a giraffe:

1. Get clear of the unicycle
2. Land on your feet.

This is simple if it is a controlled dismount. Just stop and let it go
out in front or back of you. You said UPD though so I assume you mean
going forward with speed and the wheel getting stopped or deccelerated
enough to pitch you off forwards.

In those situations you have to gauge whether or not you can run it out
and whether or not you can land with both feet. If you are going slowly
enough to land on both feet, doing so is your best option. Land on both
feet and smoothly bend your knees with the fall to absorb the impact.
This really saves your knees. If you are going too fast to land on both
feet (meaning doing so will cause you to topple forward because of your
horizontal momentum) try to land in a run with one foot rapidly after
the other. Then keep running in a normal stride until your momentum is
gone. If you can't run it out land on your feet and try to run off as
much of the momentum as possible before you roll.

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

\"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

\"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
mental

*disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

Old May 28th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

How do you convert a bike into a giraffe?
That sounds cool. Id like to make one myself.

--
willdabassist
willdabassist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11898

Old May 28th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Yeah can we see a picture? I'd like to see the 29" wheel.

--
dogfeathersvt

May your air saddle never go flat.
dogfeathersvt's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4648

Old May 29th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The frame design is similar to this project:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43095

Except with a 24" B*ke frame and a 700c street tire.

I hope to do another one once I find another b*ke. It should be
possible to make entirely out of one bike with no extra parts needed.
For tools it would only be a adjustable wrench, pliers, chain tool and
a drill.

Old May 29th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

If these are really UPD's than most of that dismounting info isn't going
to help you, correct? If you are having uncontrolled and unexpected
falls than you need to learn how to roll. Find a car or a deck of jump
off it a bunch of times, then move up to something higher (I'd
recommend into grass). When you land tuck and roll until it stops
hurting. You need to learn how to fall correctly, or make sure that you
never UPD on the giraffe.

--
Seager

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

Old May 29th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

By roll do you mean a "combat roll" eg. landing on you shoulder and then
roll?

Does anyone have a video of how do do a good roll that won't break
anything?

Diving headfirst onto pavement looks rather painful if you don't get it
right.

Running out off a giraffe is tough for me because of the drop before
the run. Does it just take practice?

Controled dismounting is working better for me now, it's just
dismounting when I'm at speed and the wheel stops for some reason.