pressure washer

Old October 14th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cyclopath! - Keiron

Default pressure washer

hi all,

looking to get a pressure washer for my bike but was rather hoping to find
somthing which is non-electric and that requires pumping by hand or with a
bicycle pump. My google search reveals nothing but does anyone else know
whether or not this product exists?

thanks

Old October 14th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat in TX

"Cyclopath! - Keiron" wrote in message
hi all,

looking to get a pressure washer for my bike but was rather hoping to find
somthing which is non-electric and that requires pumping by hand or with a
bicycle pump. My google search reveals nothing but does anyone else know
whether or not this product exists?

thanks

One other poster wrote that using a pressure washer forced water into places
on the bike where water is not supposed to be. You might want to rethink
this idea of using a pressure washer on the delicate parts of your bike.

Pat in TX

Old October 14th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
noweldrecumbent

I second that comment, I just gently wash off loose dirt with a hose, and
wipe it dry with a rag afterwards.
David
http://www.noweldrecumbent.com

Old October 14th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
hi all,

looking to get a pressure washer for my bike but was rather hoping to find
somthing which is non-electric and that requires pumping by hand or with a
bicycle pump. My google search reveals nothing but does anyone else know
whether or not this product exists?

thanks

A common garden sprayer would work for this purpose. I'd want to be
sure to label it so that it would not be used for anything but spraying
water.

Old October 14th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

looking to get a pressure washer for my bike but was rather hoping to find
somthing which is non-electric and that requires pumping by hand or with a
bicycle pump. My google search reveals nothing but does anyone else know
whether or not this product exists?

As others have noted, pressure washers (or even putting your thumb over the
end of a hose to get a lot of pressure) can do great damage to bicycle
parts, specifically anything with a seal over a bearing (sleeve or
ball-bearing, doesn't matter).We see the end result frequently.

"Seals" as found on bicycle components are designed, at best, to keep
splashed water out of bearing surfaces etc. There are few examples in the
real world of times when water would be propelled at your bicycle at
anywhere near the velocity that a pressure sprayer (or your thumb over a
garden hose) can accomplish.

To those who have seen the mechanics on the Pro Tour doing such things to
bicycles, keep in mind that THEY DON'T CARE how long the stuff lasts... they
just want it to work well for the next day. They replace stuff all the time,
including entire wheels just because they wrecked the bearings over the
course of a few days of intense "cleaning." I've been there, I've seen it,
I've spoken with the mechanics. It's a terribly wasteful way to do things,
but it's also very fast, and speed is important when you've got a whole
team's worth of bikes to get ready for the next day after a day in the muck.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old October 15th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:
hi all,

looking to get a pressure washer for my bike but was rather hoping to find
somthing which is non-electric and that requires pumping by hand or with a
bicycle pump. My google search reveals nothing but does anyone else know
whether or not this product exists?

Why on earth would you want to spray high pressure water at your bicycle?
Old October 15th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

SMS wrote:
Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:

hi all,

looking to get a pressure washer for my bike but was rather hoping to
find
somthing which is non-electric and that requires pumping by hand or
with a
bicycle pump. My google search reveals nothing but does anyone else know
whether or not this product exists?

Why on earth would you want to spray high pressure water at your bicycle?

He's been warned about high pressure spraying more than once already. A
garden sprayer would do the trick and allow him to mist his frame if
that is what he is trying to do.

I use a household sprayer (like Windex comes in) to wash my bike frame.
Old October 17th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:30:41 GMT, "Cyclopath! - Keiron"
wrote:

hi all,

looking to get a pressure washer for my bike but was rather hoping to find
somthing which is non-electric and that requires pumping by hand or with a
bicycle pump. My google search reveals nothing but does anyone else know
whether or not this product exists?

Pressure washers typically have nozzle pressures of 1200 to 3500 psi.
If you could build an economical and useful size of pressure vessel
(say, three gallon capacity with another one and one half of air
space) that could be filled with water or cleaning solution, any
hand-operated pump that you used to pressurize it would likely take a
week's worth of pumping to get the vessel up to that kind of
pressure...and the stream would lose pressure quickly as the enclosed
volume of liquid was reduced during the spraying process.

No, such a device does not exist as an off-the-shelf product, nor
would it be practical to build one.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.