29" tires - big volume

Old February 18th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unijuul

Default 29" tires - big volume

I think maybe the popularity of 29" will grove since the tire market
expand on 29".

--
unijuul

www.unijuul.com
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 18th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

Racing Ralph sounds like the feeling you get half way round your first
lap of Mountain Mayhem when you start to wish you hadn't eaten quite
such a lot of pasta. Very bad name for a tyre :/

Rob

--
rob.northcott
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 18th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

rob.northcott wrote:
Racing Ralph sounds like the feeling you get half way round your first
lap of Mountain Mayhem when you start to wish you hadn't eaten quite
such a lot of pasta. Very bad name for a tyre :/

Rob

Skid mark?

--
412
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 26th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Has anyone tried out either the Racing Ralph 2.4 or the WTB Stout yet
that can comment on it? Expecially if you can compare it to the
Navegal.

I really love the Navegal so far, but I am curious how these other
tires ride.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name | 'Myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout)
Old August 26th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SqueakyOnion

You guys might wanna look into the Continental Mountain King, which
comes in a 2.2 and 2.4. I have the 2.2, and really like it. It is a
really light tire, but grips well. Sidewalls are somewhat thinner, but
that hasn't caused an issue for me yet, and the weight savings are a
definite plus.

Just a thought.

--
SqueakyOnion

"The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more." - Fortune
Cookie

I am not a Texan. I'm a Pennsylvanian!
Old August 26th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

Hey,

The WTB Stout is now spec'd as standard on the KH29. It is the only
high volume 29'er out there that I know of that was designed for mtb
freeriding. It has good sidewall strength and in my opinion it's the
best all-around 29'er tire available right now for muni. WTB had
originally intended to come out with an even bigger 29'er freeride tire
called the Kodiak, but for now they have decided that the market isn't
big enough. Hopefully they change their mind in future.

The Racing Ralph is slightly higher volume but has paper thin sidewalls
and the tread wears out very fast. That said, if you don't ride too
agressively and you ride mostly on dirt, not sharp rocks, it is an
amazing lightweight tire for climbing hills.

Kris

--
danger_uni
Old August 27th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

I run a 2.35" WTB Exiwolf on my 29'er Triton. It has nice volume but
heavy (even the folding version I'm using), but definitely nice when
rolling over bumps. It's no good for sticky mud though...clogs up
quick. But should be good for hardpack.

I designed my 29" Triton to be able to take tyres up to 29x2.6", as I
think there will be more big 29" tyres available in future.

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details.
Old August 27th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

I've been riding the Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35 the last couple of
months. At higher pressures it's a GREAT tire - loads of grip, light
and fast rolling, great in the wet and dry. Not so good at lower
pressures tho imo.

I've also got a Continental Mountain King 29x2.4 here to check out, but
have been enjoying the Rampage so much that I haven't got around to
putting it on.

29" tires are completely over priced in Australia. For less than the
price of one tire here you can buy two from the USA incl shipping.

--
lunicycle
Old August 27th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

danger_uni wrote:
Hey,

The WTB Stout is now spec'd as standard on the KH29. It is the only
high volume 29'er out there that I know of that was designed for mtb
freeriding. It has good sidewall strength and in my opinion it's the
best all-around 29'er tire available right now for muni. WTB had
originally intended to come out with an even bigger 29'er freeride tire
called the Kodiak, but for now they have decided that the market isn't
big enough. Hopefully they change their mind in future.

The Racing Ralph is slightly higher volume but has paper thin sidewalls
and the tread wears out very fast. That said, if you don't ride too
agressively and you ride mostly on dirt, not sharp rocks, it is an
amazing lightweight tire for climbing hills.

Kris

Thanks. That basically tells me that I shouldn't get the Racing Ralph.
Light/thin tires are not great for muni (at least the muni I like
doing). I tried a Nanoraptor originally and that was pretty light and
thin, but it was horrible offroad.

I might have to check out the Stout after I wear out the Navegal.

Since I am on the subject of 29er tires.......what tubes do you all
usually run with your 29ers? I am running the 'WTB tube'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=707), 700c x 52/47
right now.

Old August 27th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

siafirede wrote:
I tried a Nanoraptor originally and that was pretty light and thin,
but it was horrible offroad.

I thought the Nanos were surprisingly good off-road considering their
tread. Very fast and light. If only they made a slightly bigger
volume version