29" tires - big volume

Old October 28th 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Default 29" tires - big volume

danger_uni;1120387 wrote:
I do want to do a KH26 but the market just has to get a little bit
bigger before it's possible. I'm hoping that will be possible late in
2009 but will have to see how it goes. Likely I'd release a 26" rim
before that, though.

Would it be super expensive to just release a KH29 frame with lowered
brake mounts? I guess there's some engineering complication in doing
that?

26" rims, tyres etc. are easy to get hold of good ones, but there's no
nice, light, easily available 26" frame that has brake mounts fitted.
The people who've stuck a 26" wheel into a KH29 frame seem like they
have nice setups, but it's hassle to get the brake in the right place.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old October 28th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

joemarshall;1120499 wrote:
Would it be super expensive to just release a KH29 frame with lowered
brake mounts? I guess there's some engineering complication in doing
that?

A good compromise would be to market modified brake clamps to fit to a
29er frame (like a couple of people have made as one-offs).

I've just done some upgrading to my muni and bought one of the new
Nimbus 26" frames with brake mounts and machined bearing holders (which
is very nice BTW). If there had been a KH26 frame available I would
very likely have shelled out the extra money for one of those.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old October 28th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

Given that the existing rim is great for XC use, I'm not sure about
doing something only slightly wider (e.g. 42") because it would be
heavier than the current 38 mm rim without the huge stability of the 47
mm rim.

Yeah, a 47mm would be sweet, drilled would be lighter and look really
nice. If you offered a 47mm 29er rim I'd buy it now and build a new
wheel.

I think the 26er is fine because there are lots of rim and tire
choices, but I'll stick with the 24 for tech, hoping of course that in
time there will be a decent fat tire for the 29er. If the 29er scene
doesn't step up, I might go back to the 26, which would be sad since the
29er really does roll stuff better..

--
Nurse Ben
Old October 28th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

A wider rim would be good. That would probably lean the 29er more to
Muni than road.
I prefer a flatter profile tire over a rounder one w/ more volume. (In
my case a Kenda Kinetics 2.6" vs. a 3" Arrow on my DX rim).

Nurse Ben;1120116 wrote:
I know some folks who run the KH 92er rim on their Mmtb cuz it's one of
the toughest.

I didn't know Kris made a uni that big

rob.northcott wrote:
A good compromise would be to market modified brake clamps to fit to a
29er frame (like a couple of people have made as one-offs).

+1
Less expensive and the frame could be switched between 26 and 29"
wheels. It would save the need to get the adapters custom made for
significant $.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old October 30th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

TonyMelton;1121728 wrote:
As Rob Northcott pointed out the 'Nimbus Muni 26\" frame'
(http://tinyurl.com/5kkon) now comes with brake mounts and with machined
42mm bearing holders.

I assume the Nimbus frame is a bit heavier than the KH though - I think
that's what Joe was implying. I don't know how much heavier though, or
whether it's really noticeable overall with the weight of a big DH tyre.
So far I'm really happy with the new Nimbus.

To keep on topic: The reason I've stuck with 26x3 rather than just
buying a KH29 (which I thought about) is because of the very rocky
sections on the routes I normally ride. Most of my riding is definitely
suited to a 29er, but those rocky bits are just bad enough that I'd have
to be really careful not to prang a 29er rim. A 29er with a bigger,
stronger tyre and/or rim may well convert me, but for now it's 26 for
rocky or steep routes, and coker for the really easy fast stuff.

Rob

--
rob.northcott