Bike manuals

Old October 21st 03, 05:22 PM
One Step Beyond

Default Bike manuals

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent bike manual ? I'm of a fairly practical
nature but I can see that the subject of bike tinkering and repair is quite
a technical business!! Any on line resources about adjusting this and that?

OSB

Old October 21st 03, 05:41 PM
Pete Biggs

One Step Beyond wrote:
Any on line resources about adjusting
this and that?

1. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

2. http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

3. http://groups.google.com/

4. Specific manufacturer's sites (particularly Shimano Europe and
Campagnolo).

There is more but you'll get a long way with just those four plus common
sense & trial and error... better than books as well.

~PB

Old October 21st 03, 09:14 PM
Shanny

"One Step Beyond" wrote in message
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent bike manual ? I'm of a fairly practical
nature but I can see that the subject of bike tinkering and repair is

quite
a technical business!! Any on line resources about adjusting this and

that?

OSB

Try having a look at a PDF version (oldish edition) of the Barnett's Manual
( latest hardback edition at http://www.bbinstitute.com/manual.htm with
worksheets etc.) available at http://www.d.umn.edu/~bjer0078/bike/manual/
and a few other places via Google.

Mike

Old October 21st 03, 11:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"One Step Beyond" writes:

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent bike manual ? I'm of a fairly practical
nature but I can see that the subject of bike tinkering and repair is quite
a technical business!! Any on line resources about adjusting this and that?

On line there are Sheldon Brown's and Park Tools' sites which you've
already been directed to. Off line there's _Zinn and the Art of
[Mountain|Road] Bike Maintenance_

Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
;; the Worlock
Old October 22nd 03, 12:14 AM
Pete Biggs

Shanny wrote:

Try having a look at a PDF version (oldish edition) of the Barnett's
Manual ( latest hardback edition at
http://www.bbinstitute.com/manual.htm with worksheets etc.) available
at http://www.d.umn.edu/~bjer0078/bike/manual/ and a few other places
via Google.

....And be put off bicycle mechanics for life. They make adjusting a
derailleur cable look like rocket science :-(

~PB

Old October 22nd 03, 08:28 AM
Garry Broad

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:22:17 +0100, "One Step Beyond"
wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a decent bike manual ? I'm of a fairly practical
nature but I can see that the subject of bike tinkering and repair is quite
a technical business!! Any on line resources about adjusting this and that?

Not exactly online as such, but a great beginners book, with loads of
photographs.

Garryb