Suggestions on bike seat

Old August 30th 04, 12:10 AM
Brett

Default Suggestions on bike seat

I have a mountain bike that I ride on paved paths. The ride is usually
between 1 and 2 hours. My current seat gets painful after a while of
riding. I'd like suggestions on comfortable bike seats.

Thanks,
Brett

Old August 30th 04, 12:36 AM
pam_in_sc

Brett wrote:
I have a mountain bike that I ride on paved paths. The ride is usually
between 1 and 2 hours. My current seat gets painful after a while of
riding. I'd like suggestions on comfortable bike seats.

Thanks,
Brett

Do you have a bike shop in your area that loans or rents saddles so you
can try out different alternatives? What works best is a very
individual thing.

I ride a road bike, but after trying out 3 different saddles before I
was happy, I concluded that for me there were two issues. First, I need
a saddle that properly supports my sit bones (which in my case are set
wide). Second, I need a saddle that has some give when I go over a bump
(not a soft surface, but some flex), so that I don't feel like I have
been sitting on a rock after 15 miles.

I am now very happy with a Brooks Team Pro S (see
http://www.wallbike.com/Brookssaddles.html for lots of information). I
rode 40 miles yesterday and 25 today, and I only got the saddle a week
ago. My local bike shop owner said he doesn't ride a leather saddle any
more because the break-in is too difficult. My experience was
different--from the first day it was more comfortable than the modern
saddles I had tried. It will only get more comfortable as it molds to
my seat bones.

Pam

Old August 30th 04, 02:32 AM
CH

pam_in_sc wrote:
I am now very happy with a Brooks Team Pro S (see
http://www.wallbike.com/Brookssaddles.html for lots of information). I
rode 40 miles yesterday and 25 today, and I only got the saddle a week
ago. My local bike shop owner said he doesn't ride a leather saddle any
more because the break-in is too difficult. My experience was
different--from the first day it was more comfortable than the modern
saddles I had tried. It will only get more comfortable as it molds to
my seat bones.

I'd second the Brooks saddle thing - I just got a B17 Standard a few days ago,
and it's lovely. I think one of the benefits of a leather saddle is that it's
a bit more slippery than plastic/whatever, so there's less friction on your
thighs/bum when cycling along.

Sheldon Brown's site has a few tips of selecting the right Brooks saddle. I
went for the B17 because I have my bars at about the same height as my seat.

-- CH

Old August 30th 04, 05:13 AM
William Holiday

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:10:06 -0400, "Brett" no wrote:

I have a mountain bike that I ride on paved paths. The ride is usually
between 1 and 2 hours. My current seat gets painful after a while of
riding. I'd like suggestions on comfortable bike seats.

Sometimes it's your shorts, or maybe an adjustment in height or position of the
current saddle.

Old August 30th 04, 08:10 PM
GRL

Ttry a Specialized Milano. Leather cover. Nice. $40.

George LitwinskiGeorge Litwinski "It's good to want things." S. Barr
(philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic.Net programmer)

Old August 30th 04, 08:20 PM
CommuterSteve

Maybe you should re-check you fit on the bike before going throug
saddles

--
CommuterSteve

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Social Issues 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
Road bike seat height? Ken Bessler Techniques 9 September 8th 03 08:11 PM
6 month / 6,000 mile Haluzak review m worth Recumbent Biking 6 September 6th 03 11:39 PM