upcoming MURDER at the LBS

Old January 20th 05, 01:32 PM
dgk

Default upcoming MURDER at the LBS

I was somewhat concerned about staying warm while winter bike
commuting, but my real fear was flats. I was not looking forward to
changing a tire in the cold.

So a few days ago I had a slow leak in the rear tire. I managed to
keep it up until I got to work and then brought it to the LBS. $10 but
worth it to me. Yesterday, the next time I rode it (and posted here
about it) I got another slow leak, same tire, and managed to limp to
work. Another $10. I thought about bitching but decided to stay on
their better side. I said, MAKE SURE YOU GET IT ALL OUT.

Yup. Today, about a mile from home, flat, rear tire. This was a bad
one. I pumped it up but only made it another hundred yards or so
before it was flat again. Shoot it with CO2. I keep limping to the
subway. (one reason that I'm willing to do winter commuting is that
I'm never TOO far from a subway).

I take the 7 train. A few odd stares from the pedestrians. Switch to
the 6 to go downtown. I'm waiting on the platform, already very
****ed, and the express train is discharged for some reason (all the
people have to get off and crowd onto the platform). I'm now in a
packed subway platform with this big wet bike, trying to get onto a
packed train.

No, not really. I just waited fifteen minutes or so until the crowd
died down and got on an empty train. But you've never seen the face of
a guy in a suit when he brushes up against my tire.

Anyway, there is going to be one very angry biker in the LBS in an
hour or so.
Old January 20th 05, 01:55 PM
Mark Hickey

dgk wrote:

Anyway, there is going to be one very angry biker in the LBS in an
hour or so.

What makes you think that the flats had anything to do with anything
other than you running over debris, thorns, glass or "Michelin wires"?

And you should learn to change your own flats if you're going to bike
commute. Otherwise you're going to be in a bad mood quite often.
It's cheap (a LOT cheaper than having the LBS do it), quick (a LOT
quicker than having the LBS do it) and easy (a LOT easier than
dragging your bike to the LBS).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old January 20th 05, 03:38 PM
dgk

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:55:35 -0700, Mark Hickey
wrote:

dgk wrote:

Anyway, there is going to be one very angry biker in the LBS in an
hour or so.

What makes you think that the flats had anything to do with anything
other than you running over debris, thorns, glass or "Michelin wires"?

And you should learn to change your own flats if you're going to bike
commute. Otherwise you're going to be in a bad mood quite often.
It's cheap (a LOT cheaper than having the LBS do it), quick (a LOT
quicker than having the LBS do it) and easy (a LOT easier than
dragging your bike to the LBS).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

I usually do my own flats, just not in snow and cold. It hurts my poor
hands. Trying to get the tire over the rim, that final piece, is not
something that I'm good at. I'm a good computer programmer but a lousy
mechanic. One thing I did learn was to run my hand around the inside
of the tire feeling for anything sharp. Perhaps they don't do that.

My experience, while limited, is that flats on consecutive days
indicate that the cause of the flat was not removed from the tire
completely. It is possible that I simply hit something three times,
but wouldn't you say that three flats in three days is very unusual? I
do watch the road for glass.

I had hoped that a bike shop would be far better at doing flats than I
am. I could be wrong.
Old January 20th 05, 04:30 PM
Matt O'Toole

dgk wrote:

I usually do my own flats, just not in snow and cold. It hurts my poor
hands. Trying to get the tire over the rim, that final piece, is not
something that I'm good at. I'm a good computer programmer but a lousy
mechanic. One thing I did learn was to run my hand around the inside
of the tire feeling for anything sharp. Perhaps they don't do that.

Try to find a tire that slips on and off your rim more easily. This is
discussed frequently on rec.bicycles.tech

My experience, while limited, is that flats on consecutive days
indicate that the cause of the flat was not removed from the tire
completely. It is possible that I simply hit something three times,
but wouldn't you say that three flats in three days is very unusual? I
do watch the road for glass.

It's not unusual at all. Flats do seem to come in groups. Something changes
about road conditions -- rain/snow, a lot of people partying and throwing
bottles out of cars, street sweeping, etc. -- which either adds new debris, or
moves around whatever was there.

You also mentioned using CO2, which will leak through your tube overnight.

You might also try thicker tires, or tubes filled with Slime.

Matt O.

Old January 20th 05, 05:43 PM
dgk

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:30:06 -0500, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

CO2 leaks through the tube? Oh. That sure isn't mentioned on the
packaging. But when I use CO2 it's mostly an emergency situation
anyway.

But I am interested in new tires or slime. Does the slime really work?
Old January 20th 05, 06:45 PM
R15757

Anyway, there is going to be one very angry biker in the LBS in an
hour or so.

Imagine a world where you fix your own flats,
check the inside of your own tire for offending
sharpnesses, and go away satisfied that you
have removed all foreign objects. I know it
sounds crazy, but it is within your grasp.
Patching a tube in the cold is a lot less of a
pITA than what you got going on right now
with the lbs shuffle. Also, ditch the CO2.

Did they put in a new tube, or patch the old one?
Judging by what I read here on RBT, a high
percentage of self-appointed bike gurus don't
know how to patch a tube.

Robert
Old January 20th 05, 07:27 PM
David

"dgk" wrote in message ...

But I am interested in new tires or slime. Does the slime really work?

Yes.

OTOH, I don't think it's worth it in presta tubes. Some people disagree.

There are some tricks For example, if you do get a flat with Slime, when you next pump
the tire, ride it, or spin it a bit to spread the Slime.

I've also had good luck with tire liners, and with puncture-resistant tires.

YMMV with all of these flat solutions.

Old January 20th 05, 08:33 PM
Matt O'Toole

dgk wrote:

I actually can change a tire. The problem is that in winter my hands
tend to get very dry and the skin cracks a bit, and I have pretty bad
tennis elbow and pushing the bead over the rim really hurt it last
month. Soapy water is best for that but perhaps I should try some
snow. All in all, I'd prefer not to be doing this sitting in the cold
in cold water (it snowed last night and it was quite wet) . I could
have done it if I had to. I had all the tools plus a CO2 injector and
a pump. Also a spare tube and patch kit. Be prepared but don't do it!
That's my motto.

A tire that slips on easily makes all the difference. I once had Continental
Avenues on my mountain bike for road riding. They were incredibly fast,
excellent riding tires. But I couldn't fix a flat without drawing blood, even
with stout metal tire levers. With other tires I don't even need to carry tire
levers.

Matt O.

Old January 20th 05, 08:37 PM
Matt O'Toole

dgk wrote:

CO2 leaks through the tube? Oh. That sure isn't mentioned on the
packaging. But when I use CO2 it's mostly an emergency situation
anyway.

That's what it's for. It will get you home, but leak out overnight. It's best
to refill your tires later with real air.

But I am interested in new tires or slime. Does the slime really work?

Yes. For people who get lots of flats it's a great solution.

Matt O.