Off Topic Exciting Ride

Old May 18th 05, 02:47 AM
Dave Reckoning

Default Off Topic Exciting Ride

I had an exciting Sunday morning ride this week. Went out at about 6:00 for
30-40 miles. I was on my way in, about 10 miles from home on a long flat
farm road when I saw a group of about six riders turn onto my road about 1/2
mile in front of me. I was very impressed with how they turned in perfect
formation and stayed in such a close pack. It is unusual to see teams out so
early on Sunday but I was sure they were at least semi-pros as they were all
dressed matching kit. I jumped at the chance to catch them and draft home.
Within about a half mile I had gained enough to see that they were in fact
not cyclists but runners as I could see their legs and gait. I was impressed
as they were very fast and it was taking considerable speed to catch them.
Soon I was upon them and realized that I was chasing a group of extremely
athletic Jersey cows from a local dairy farm. In fact when I finally caught
them I recognized them from when I had broken down in front of their pasture
last year with a blown sidewall and they had all come over to greet me while
I was waiting for Mini Van Driver (my wife) to come fetch me. Well,
considering how hospitable they had been to me I decided to try and drive
them home as the dairy was only a mile or so up the road. I started yelling
and whistling at them and managed to get them up to about 17 MPH on the
narrow barbed wire fence lined road. A little less than a mile up we came to
their pasture where their compatriots were assembled awaiting their return.
As we passed the fence about 20 cows joined in the run from the other side.
Soon we were at the end of the pasture where my cows had made their escape
and I could see the entire end section of fence was down. All of a sudden I
was driving nearly 30 cows and leading a local stampede! Fortunately the
dairy barn was only a few hundred yards up the road and my entourage made a
bee line for the barn yard where they commenced a hollering and mooing
session the likes of which I have never experienced, the din was simply
alien in nature. I went to the farm house that abutted the barn and rang the
bell until the farmer's wife came to the door in her P.Js. She had quite the
startled look on her face when she saw her yard full of the beautiful girls
and I in my spandex.

I live an exciting life...

Dave Reckoning

Noblesville Indiana

Old May 18th 05, 02:54 AM
Ted Bennett

"Dave Reckoning" wrote:

[...]

What I learned from all this is that this guy needs someone in a car to
pick him up and bring him home. Sheesh.

--
Ted Bennett
Old May 18th 05, 03:27 AM

What I learned from all this is that this guy needs someone in a car

pick him up and bring him home. Sheesh.

The moral of the story was two-fold:

1. Don't use Continentals.

2. Sometimes it is good and right to run with
the cows, and cows are fast.

Old May 18th 05, 05:29 AM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:54:15 GMT, Ted Bennett
wrote:

What I learned from all this is that this guy needs someone in a car to
pick him up and bring him home. Sheesh.

Well, I learned that cows look like bicycles, from a half mile away.

I found the story very entertaining.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old May 18th 05, 11:29 AM
Dave Reckoning

wrote:

What I learned from all this is that this guy needs someone in a car to
pick him up and bring him home. Sheesh.

Well, I learned that cows look like bicycles, from a half mile away.

I found the story very entertaining.

Life is Good!
Jeff

I have an appointmnet at Lenscrafters tomorrow morning.

Dave Reckoning

Old May 18th 05, 03:24 PM
Michael

Dave Reckoning wrote:

[...]

Hi, Hoosier Dave
Fun story. I was a faux Hoosier for six years of my youth, living in north
central Indiana. My music teacher was James Noble. Maybe he was from
Noblesville! ;-)

Michael "where's my atlas?" C.