Minnesota Winters

Old December 19th 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
jim beam

Default Minnesota Winters

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 06:08:00 -0800, wrote:

On Dec 17, 7:41Â*am, jim beam wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:25:07 -0800, Jay Beattie wrote:

snip for clarity

On a somewhat tech note, I went to put on my (car) snow wheels on
Saturday, and my aluminum rims had welded to the iron hubs. Â*Should
have used my anti-seize! Â*Getting those mo-fos off was a monumental
PIA, but finally got it done.

actually pretty easy to do this - simply loosen the lug nuts a couple
of turns, then go drive around the block. Â*a couple of hard braking
episodes will break free the stubbornest of rusted wheels.

God Danged Jim. Thats the only intelligent thing you've ever posted on
this forum.

translation: "that's the only thing accessible to troglodytes like me".

carry on russell. maybe one day, you'll spot something else sufficiently
obvious and lowbrow to be understandable.

Old December 19th 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
jim beam

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:52:56 +0000, Clive George wrote:

"Jay Beattie" wrote in message
On Dec 17, 6:08 am, "
wrote:
On Dec 17, 7:41 am, jim beam wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:25:07 -0800, Jay Beattie wrote:

snip for clarity

On a somewhat tech note, I went to put on my (car) snow wheels on
Saturday, and my aluminum rims had welded to the iron hubs. Should
have
used my anti-seize! Getting those mo-fos off was a monumental PIA,
but
finally got it done.

actually pretty easy to do this - simply loosen the lug nuts a
couple of
turns, then go drive around the block. a couple of hard braking
episodes
will break free the stubbornest of rusted wheels.

God Danged Jim. Thats the only intelligent thing you've ever posted on
this forum.

I did that, and it worked with the front wheel but not the rear wheel.
I had to take additional measures for the rear wheel, including putting
some Liquid Wrench between the rim and hub and engaging in the telephone
book rhumba -- you loosen the lug nuts and then drive the stuck wheel
over a phone book, back and forth. Then you kick the wheel in strategic
locations. That finally worked. Or maybe it was the swearing that did
it.

My 4lb club hammer was bought specifically to remove a wheel from my
car. I'd tried the 1lb one, no joy, no matter how hard I went at it. 4lb
one, smack, wheel off.

smack. brinelled bearings. specifically unjoyous deployment of a 4lb
hammer when the car's own function can serve the purpose, and not damage
anything.
Old December 19th 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Jay Beattie wrote:

On Dec 18, 8:42*am, "
wrote:
On Dec 17, 4:31*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Dec 17, 2:15*pm, "

wrote:
On Dec 17, 1:59*pm, Jay Beattie
wrote:

On Dec 17, 6:08*am, "

wrote:
On Dec 17, 7:41*am, jim beam
wrote:

[...]

Anyway, I rode to work on my new, cheap-o Innova ice tires
today. *Not going to win any races on those fatties, but,
wow, they really do work well on ice. *I was getting a little
too cocky and almost wiped out. They are not good on dry
pavement, though. *They squirm and float quite a bit, and the
tread is not that straight -- or else it looks crooked
because the tires are slowly blowing off my svelt Open Pros.
That happened when I was blowing one up, but the tube is so
beefy that at 60psi, a 4" section just bulged out and sat
there.

*It's *near white-out looking out my office window, so I
guess I will have plenty of fresh snow and ice for the ride
home.-- Jay Beattie.

I'm using my new Schwalbe Marathon Winter 700x35 studded tires.
*They ride perfectly fine on dry pavement. *In loose snow, such
as on the side of the road after the cars have pounded it for
awhile, they can get squirrely. *Ice or dry pavement, great
traction. *They are slower than regular tires. *Partly because
I only put 35 psi in them to allow them to flatten out as much
as possible and get all 4 rows of studs in contact with the
ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...-Black/dp/B001
13L8...

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/stud...asp-Hidequoted text
-

Those Schwalbe look mighty nice (I have the Schwalbe Blizzards on
this bike for ordinary riding), but they are two to three times
the price I paid for my beater Innovas. *If I lived in Minnesota,
I might make the investment. Bike Tires Direct has a whole slew
of ice tires including the
Schwalbe.http://www.biketiresdirect.com/searc...ts.asp?ss=330&
cat=su

I just felt that in these tough economic times, I should support
Chinese industry. And melamine gives me added grip on ice. -- Jay
Beattie.- Hide quoted text -

Twice the price. *But over twice the studs. *240 compared to 110.
Carbide instead of carbon steel. *They are the most expensive bike
tires I've ever bought.- Hide quoted text -

The steel quality is important, although I'll be dead before I wear
these things out with the number of days per year I expect to use
them. I think carbide would be a must have in Minnesota

There are other options, such as the famed "Gossamer Walrus:"

http://www.velomobiling.com/gallery/...s/IceBike2007/

With video:

http://velomobiling.blogspot.com/200...ce-biking.html

http://www.calhouncycle.com/events/i...01icehome.html
Old December 19th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
Clive George

"jim beam" wrote in message

[...]

And what sort of loads + impacts do the bearings get in normal use? What
impacts do they get when you're driving around with loose nuts? You're
raising bogus worries.

Old December 21st 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
jim beam

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:21:17 +0000, Clive George wrote:

"jim beam" wrote in message

[...]

why don't you work it out? mass. acceleration. point contact area.

What
impacts do they get when you're driving around with loose nuts? You're
raising bogus worries.

no, i'm speaking from experience of failure analysis. bearings that get
hammered get brinelled and subsequently fail. this is not knowledge
exclusive to scientists - technicians with shop experience long enough to
see the consequences will tell you that.

Old December 21st 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
jim beam

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:10:48 -0600, Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
"Clive George" wrote:

"jim beam" wrote in message

[...]

timmy, why don't you tell us how you managed to calculate how 1800
5000? the mathematical world is on the edge of its seat.

or not. because you're a retard.