Cycling: almost actual science

Old May 13th 19, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Cycling: almost actual science

On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown significant
increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes, like this one from Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF? The connection times out
for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

--
JS
Old May 13th 19, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 9:48:36 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown significant
increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes, like this one from Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF? The connection times out
for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

There shouldn't be any trick. Sorry, I don't know what's causing your problem.
I just tried again with a very xlow, low-end laptop (I'm not at home right now)
and it downloaded within a few seconds.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 13th 19, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 13 May 2019 11:48:27 +1000, James
wrote:

On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown significant
increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes, like this one from Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF? The connection times out
for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

I just tried it and it spins its wheels for a while and than pops up
the error message "503 SERVICE UNAVAILABLE"
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 13th 19, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2019 6:48 PM, James wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown significant
increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes, like this one from
Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF?Â* The connection times out
for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

I can download it in Chrome.

Interesting. Cycling rates went way up (75%). Fatal crashes went down (1
to 0). Non-fatal crashes went up.

From the photos, it appears that they cheaped out and did not do actual
protected bicycle lanes that prevent vehicle intrusion. They're using
pop-up bollards spaced at intervals that allow vehicles to enter the
bike lane. Sometimes this is necessary because of things like trash
collection, but there are ways that barriers can be designed so high
clearance vehicles (garbage trucks, fire trucks, etc.) have access but
low-clearance vehicles do not. I see this kind of barrier at other places.

Old May 14th 19, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/13/2019 11:14 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 6:48 PM, James wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown significant
increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes, like this one from
Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF?Â* The connection times out
for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

I can download it in Chrome.

Interesting. Cycling rates went way up (75%). Fatal crashes went down (1
to 0). Non-fatal crashes went up.

Non-fatal crashes went WAY up. Skip the sugarcoating, please. And fatal
crashes anywhere are rare as hen's teeth. Dropping from one to zero is
not in any way mathematically significant. It's regression to the mean.

From the photos, it appears that they cheaped out and did not do actual
protected bicycle lanes that prevent vehicle intrusion. They're using pop-up bollards spaced at intervals that allow vehicles to enter the
bike lane.

Ah yes, not safe enough!

The "Danger! Danger!" crowd said wide lanes were not safe enough, and
they demanded bike lane stripes. Then they said bike lane stripes were
not enough, and they demanded green paint. Now they're saying stripes
and green paint aren't safe enough, and they demand barrier separation.

Now Scharf is saying bollard barriers aren't safe enough.

Will a 30 foot tall solid concrete wall be sufficient? Trump seems to
think it will do the job for him. But if that border wall thing falls
through, maybe the disappointed contractors can get work doing kosher
bike lanes (i.e. never violated by the touch of car tires) in some
California town.

Why, if only ONE life can be saved, it will be worth the entire city
budget of Cupertino!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 19, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 14/5/19 12:11 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/13/2019 11:14 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 6:48 PM, James wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown
significant increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes, like
this one from Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF?Â* The connection times
out for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

I can download it in Chrome.

I have tried Chrome, Firefox and wget. In all cases the connection
times out before any file is downloaded.

--
JS
Old May 14th 19, 10:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 3:11:40 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Why, if only ONE life can be saved, it will be worth the entire city
budget of Cupertino!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski loves the inchoate cycling mass so much, there is no compassion left in his heart (if he has one) for the individual cyclist.

This is the definition of fascism.

And of a mindless psychopath without any moral code.

And of an arsehole, but that hardly needs demonstrating any more.

It would be ironic if Franki-boy were to become, in his own words, the "ONE life" that he didn't think worth saving.

"ONE life" is also a big lie.

I've already demonstrated repeatedly -- starting in 2010 https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.bicycles.tech/THE$20CASE$20FOR$20A$20MANDATORY$20CYCLE$20HELMET$ 20LAW$20(IN$20THE$20UNITED$20STATES$20OF$20AMERICA )$20by$20Andre$20Jute%7Csort:date/rec.bicycles.tech/ow2rIVqZ_DU/pdrY0lrdze8J -- that we aren't talking about "ONE life" that can be saved of the c700 cyclists who die every year on American roads, but possibly ***several hundred***. Frank-boy refuses even to discuss several hundred lives that could easily be saved, if only he would give up the bee in his bonnet about mandatory helmet wear.

The question arises: Why should a bully like Frank Krygowski (and demonstrably anti-social scum besides, in my opinion and that of many others) be permitted to decide about the life of even one cyclist, never mind hundreds?

Andre Jute
Questions worth pondering in your bath
Old May 14th 19, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/13/2019 11:14 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 6:48 PM, James wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown
significant increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes, like
this one from Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF?Â* The connection times
out for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

I can download it in Chrome.

I have tried Chrome, Firefox and wget.Â* In all cases the connection
times out before any file is downloaded.

It's an 8.6 Meg file. I can email it to you, if you like.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 15th 19, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/13/2019 10:34 PM, James wrote:

snip

I have tried Chrome, Firefox and wget.Â* In all cases the connection
times out before any file is downloaded.

You may have to finally get rid of that dial-up modem.

Old May 16th 19, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 7:11:40 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/13/2019 11:14 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 6:48 PM, James wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown significant
increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes, like this one from
Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF?Â* The connection times out
for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

I can download it in Chrome.

Interesting. Cycling rates went way up (75%). Fatal crashes went down (1
to 0). Non-fatal crashes went up.

Non-fatal crashes went WAY up. Skip the sugarcoating, please. And fatal
crashes anywhere are rare as hen's teeth. Dropping from one to zero is
not in any way mathematically significant. It's regression to the mean.

From the photos, it appears that they cheaped out and did not do actual
[...]

Frank, you don't seem to realize what a problem illegal aliens are. While the majority of them may be good neighbors and hard workers, there is a VERY large criminal contingent. We have a local vocal bicycling group and they have GoPro's mounted front and rear and the things you see would give you the willies and maybe stop you from riding in areas with large illegal populations.