Cycling: almost actual science

Old May 23rd 19, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Cycling: almost actual science

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 2:18:10 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 09:12:22 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:
On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 7:11:40 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/13/2019 11:14 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 6:48 PM, James wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:32 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown
significant increases in crashes from "protected" bike lanes,
like this one from Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Is there some trick to downloading this PDF? The connection times
out for me, regardless of whether I try Firefox or wget.

I can download it in Chrome.

Interesting. Cycling rates went way up (75%). Fatal crashes went
down (1 to 0). Non-fatal crashes went up.

Non-fatal crashes went WAY up. Skip the sugarcoating, please. And
fatal crashes anywhere are rare as hen's teeth. Dropping from one to
zero is not in any way mathematically significant. It's regression to
the mean.

From the photos, it appears that they cheaped out and did not do
actual protected bicycle lanes that prevent vehicle intrusion.
They're using pop-up bollards spaced at intervals that allow
vehicles to enter the bike lane.

Ah yes, not safe enough!

The "Danger! Danger!" crowd said wide lanes were not safe enough, and
they demanded bike lane stripes. Then they said bike lane stripes
were not enough, and they demanded green paint. Now they're saying
stripes and green paint aren't safe enough, and they demand barrier
separation.

Now Scharf is saying bollard barriers aren't safe enough.

Will a 30 foot tall solid concrete wall be sufficient? Trump seems to
think it will do the job for him. But if that border wall thing falls
through, maybe the disappointed contractors can get work doing kosher
bike lanes (i.e. never violated by the touch of car tires) in some
California town.

Why, if only ONE life can be saved, it will be worth the entire city
budget of Cupertino!

-- - Frank Krygowski

Frank, you don't seem to realize what a problem illegal aliens are.
While the majority of them may be good neighbors and hard workers,
there is a VERY large criminal contingent. We have a local vocal
bicycling group and they have GoPro's mounted front and rear and the
things you see would give you the willies and maybe stop you from
riding in areas with large illegal populations.

Earth to Tom. WTF are you talking about Martians for? They're not the
problem.

The people who give me the willies around here are Caucasians in Audis.
Damned near every driver who's tried to kill me in the past year,
whether I'm in my car or on my bike, has been a white male in an Audi.
Why do aggressive lunatics seem to buy Audis?

Now that is odd because I have the same problem with BMW drivers. Though Audi and Mercedes run a close second. And they usually have handicap driver plates.
Old May 23rd 19, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 5:14:18 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 10:18:10 PM UTC+1, Tim McNamara wrote:

Damned near every driver who's tried to kill me in the past year,

And that's just your neighbours and colleagues, Timmie. Some must have tried more than once.

Andre Jute
If at first you don't succeed, by an Audi and try again

+8
Old June 9th 19, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 23 May 2019 13:26:46 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 2:18:10 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:

The people who give me the willies around here are Caucasians in
Audis. Damned near every driver who's tried to kill me in the past
year, whether I'm in my car or on my bike, has been a white male in
an Audi. Why do aggressive lunatics seem to buy Audis?

Now that is odd because I have the same problem with BMW drivers.
Though Audi and Mercedes run a close second. And they usually have
handicap driver plates.

Perhaps it's a regional thing- more Audi than BMW dealers here.
Old June 28th 19, 08:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

I think segregated bike lanes should take the form of every second street being off limits to motor vehicles. In areas with grid street layout, this would provide an easy way to realize some of the benefits of car-free areas, without making any location inaccessible to motorists.
Old June 28th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/28/2019 12:46 AM, Chalo wrote:
I think segregated bike lanes should take the form of every second street being off limits to motor vehicles. In areas with grid street layout, this would provide an easy way to realize some of the benefits of car-free areas, without making any location inaccessible to motorists.

"Bike Boulevards" which make using certain streets impossible for
vehicle traffic to use them as thoroughfares also works well. Local
traffic can still use the streets.

Old July 1st 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 12:46:27 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
I think segregated bike lanes should take the form of every second street being off limits to motor vehicles. In areas with grid street layout, this would provide an easy way to realize some of the benefits of car-free areas, without making any location inaccessible to motorists.

In San Francisco they are trying that and to say the least it isn't very popular with motorists. And they're the ones with the money.