City of London Police: Road Safety Forum

Old October 14th 08, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

Default City of London Police: Road Safety Forum

Interesting piece on the Bikeshow site:
http://thebikeshow.net/2008/10/14/city-of-london-police-road-safety-forum/

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
Old October 14th 08, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PK[_2_]

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
Interesting piece on the Bikeshow site:
http://thebikeshow.net/2008/10/14/city-of-london-police-road-safety-forum/

" injuries and fatalities to cyclists peak in the morning rush hour (around
8am) and, to a lesser extent, the evening rush hour (around 5pm). It's not
clear why the morning is worse than the late afternoon/evening. "

??? Shorter rush hour (sic) in the morning and both cyclists and drivers
under more time pressure???

??? Lorries delivering to site in morning, possibly unfamiliar with
route reduced attention for other traffic???

"As things stand, if a cyclist enters an ASL other than via a feeder lane on
the left, they are officially breaking the law"

Strictly, there should be an "after the lights change" in there, entering
across the white line on green is legal!

pk

Old October 14th 08, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:46:11 +0100
"PK" wrote:

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
Interesting piece on the Bikeshow site:
http://thebikeshow.net/2008/10/14/city-of-london-police-road-safety-forum/

" injuries and fatalities to cyclists peak in the morning rush hour
(around 8am) and, to a lesser extent, the evening rush hour (around
5pm). It's not clear why the morning is worse than the late
afternoon/evening. "

??? Shorter rush hour (sic) in the morning and both cyclists and
drivers under more time pressure???

??? Lorries delivering to site in morning, possibly unfamiliar with
route reduced attention for other traffic???

Drivers too busy eating bacon sarnies, drinking coffee, reading
morning paper ...

Old October 14th 08, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PK[_2_]

"PK" wrote:

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
Interesting piece on the Bikeshow site:
http://thebikeshow.net/2008/10/14/city-of-london-police-road-safety-forum/

" injuries and fatalities to cyclists peak in the morning rush hour
(around 8am) and, to a lesser extent, the evening rush hour (around
5pm). It's not clear why the morning is worse than the late
afternoon/evening. "

??? Shorter rush hour (sic) in the morning and both cyclists and
drivers under more time pressure???

??? Lorries delivering to site in morning, possibly unfamiliar with
route reduced attention for other traffic???

Drivers too busy eating bacon sarnies, drinking coffee, reading
morning paper ...

Cyclists too focused on saving seconds and going up the left side of
lorries?

Lets keep it constructive should we & drop the point scoring?

pk

Old October 14th 08, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AdamB

"injuries and fatalities to cyclists peak in the morning rush hour
(around 8am) and, to a lesser extent, the evening rush hour (around
5pm). It’s not clear why the morning is worse than the late afternoon/
evening"

I'm not a London cycle commuter so can't answer with authority.
However, from my commute I suspect that it could be something to do
with the fact that there is a lot more heavy construction traffic on
the road in the morning. Sites like their deliveries early (who wants
a load of concrete at "knocking off time"...) and most construction
traffic hits the road at about 6am. A part of this heavy traffic
disappears by 5pm because of the drivers hours regs limiting the
length of time a driver can be on the road.
Old October 14th 08, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:46:11 +0100, "PK" said
in :

" injuries and fatalities to cyclists peak in the morning rush hour (around
8am) and, to a lesser extent, the evening rush hour (around 5pm). It's not
clear why the morning is worse than the late afternoon/evening. "

I think that qualifies for a "no ****, Sherlock" - if they want to
know why it peaks, all they need to do is ride the streets, it's
pretty obvious. The morning peak is simply more congested and more
aggressive.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old October 14th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

PK wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Drivers too busy eating bacon sarnies, drinking coffee, reading
morning paper ...

Cyclists too focused on saving seconds and going up the left side of
lorries?

Lets keep it constructive should we & drop the point scoring?

Until such time as posters on this, or any other, subject get out of the
mentality that anyone's keeping score, no progress will ever be made.

Time pressure leads to all the above, which is symptomatic of road users
generally forgetting that almost everyone else on the road is dear to
someone else.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk
Old October 14th 08, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:10:24 -0700, AdamB wrote:

"injuries and fatalities to cyclists peak in the morning rush hour
(around 8am) and, to a lesser extent, the evening rush hour (around
5pm). It’s not clear why the morning is worse than the late afternoon/
evening"

I'm not a London cycle commuter so can't answer with authority.
However, from my commute I suspect that it could be something to do
with the fact that there is a lot more heavy construction traffic on
the road in the morning. Sites like their deliveries early (who wants
a load of concrete at "knocking off time"...) and most construction
traffic hits the road at about 6am. A part of this heavy traffic
disappears by 5pm because of the drivers hours regs limiting the
length of time a driver can be on the road.

Also the start of the school day generally coincides with the start of
average Joe's working day whereas the ends do not. Hence roads in many
places are *much* less congested in the school holidays.

What you say about building sites is also true for shops to an extent. If
you have more building sites nearby, you will probably notice the
construction traffic. If you live near lots of shops you might notice the
retail traffic more. Unfortunately I live near both so leave very early
to avoid it!

peter
Old October 14th 08, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:07:30 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

Interesting piece on the Bikeshow site:
http://thebikeshow.net/2008/10/14/city-of-london-police-road-safety-forum/

"Inspector Aspinall stressed that any collision in which a motor vehicle
causes damage to property or injury to a person is a police matter and
that cyclists should not hesitate to call the police to the scene of all
but the most innocuous of incidents, even if it isn’t clear what happened
or who - if anyone - was to blame."

Funny that the police in other parts of the country don't see it that
way.
Leicestershire police wouldn't record the fact that someone T-boned me
at a junction while on my bike, writing off the bike. They said it
was for me and the driver to sort out.
North Wales police refused to attend the site when I was knocked off and
broke a bone. They came to my workplace to take a statement but seemed to
bodge that up.

peter
Old October 14th 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PK[_2_]

"Ekul Namsob" wrote in message
news:1iotbq3.mxd9bweywfoaN%notmyaddress.1.ekulnams ...
PK wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Drivers too busy eating bacon sarnies, drinking coffee, reading
morning paper ...

Cyclists too focused on saving seconds and going up the left side of
lorries?

Lets keep it constructive should we & drop the point scoring?

Until such time as posters on this, or any other, subject get out of the
mentality that anyone's keeping score, no progress will ever be made.

My point was....
..... until such time as posters address the substantive points instead of
making snippy derogatory comments about one class of road user or another no
progress will ever be made.

Comments such as the above about drivers fail to address the substantive
point:
Everybody can think they are doing the right thing and still cyclists get
squished by left turning lorries. Some drivers and some cyclists need to
modify behaviour. All need to understand the issue and learn.

pk