The Alps and why they are a great ride

Old December 3rd 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

Default The Alps and why they are a great ride

On 3 Dic, 04:17, "Ken Roberts"
wrote:
Those are very nice photos, but the majority of those scenes are _not_
visible from a road bicycle tour

In this regard I cannot but recommend Mike Perry's photo gallery.
Mike, a bike shop owner in Maryland, is an old time rider of the Alps;
in fact he was the one who escorted me up the Grosse Scheidegg the
first time I did it and he also suggested me to visit Sanetsch.
His photos, for sale at his shop as I undestand, are beautiful in one
special way.
They are taken from the road where you would pass along and there is
always a bicyclist in view, never in the foreground but somewhere in
sight.
A very discreet presence, as it always should be for a bicyclist or
anyone else for this matter.

Sergio
Pisa
Old December 3rd 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

On 3 Dic, 07:23, sergio wrote:
beautiful

Again!
As you see I have no authomatic spelling machine.

Sergio
Pisa
Old December 3rd 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ned Mantei

In article ,
"Ken Roberts" wrote:

(btw - I was a little surprised that several photos in this show recommended
by Jobst actually _showed_ the ski lift. Which doesn't bother me, but _some_
participants on this newsgroup claim to find ski lifts abhorrent. Especially
strange is showing the Männlichen ski lift near Grindelwald, since it
_might_ be possible to pedal a bicycle to the top of the lift -- maybe I'll
get to try that some time.)

In fact easily possible--there is a paved road from Grindelwald to
Männlichen. I rode up that way a couple of years ago. We then walked our
bikes over to Kleine Scheidegg (along an unpaved track that would be
easily ridable, but forbidden for cyclists because of the many people on
foot), and finally rode down to Wengen and Interlaken.

We had ridden from Meiringen over the Grosse Scheidegg to Grindelwald on
the previous day, and all in all it was a very scenic two-day tour.

Regards,
Ned in Zurich
Old December 4th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

sergio wrote
Mike Perry's photo gallery . . .
They are taken from the road where you would pass along
and there is always a bicyclist in view, never in the foreground
but somewhere in sight.

Well that's a rather high standard. He either shot lots and lots of photos
over many years so he could select so carefully, or he had partners who were
very agreeable to helping set up the shots.
Unfortunately a quick web search shows no sign of Mike Perry's photos, or
his bike shop.

Anyway I gladly spend days in the Alps _not_ bicycling -- instead hiking or
climbing -- and the places in the originally posted slideshow offer some
ideas for pretty places to spend a non-riding day.

Ken

(just think, somewhere there is a similar series of photos of the roads of
the Alps, only with a motorcycle somewhere in every shot)

Old December 4th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Ned Mantei wrote
there is a paved road from Grindelwald to Männlichen.
I rode up that way a couple of years ago. We then walked our
bikes over to Kleine Scheidegg (along an unpaved track that would be
easily ridable, but forbidden for cyclists because of the many people on
foot), and finally rode down to Wengen and Interlaken.

Great idea.
In that photo slideshow I noticed they visited Lauterbrunnen, and I was
thinking that I had never ridden to there -- but your way is so much better.
(and long ago one of Sharon + my first successful adventures in Switzerland
was to scramble to the top of the Tschuggen, then some non-obvious way to
the Lauberhorn)

Ken

Old December 4th 08, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

On 4 Dic, 01:32, "Ken Roberts"
wrote:
sergio wrote
Mike Perry's photo gallery . . .
They are taken from the road where you would pass along
and there is always a bicyclist in view, never in the foreground
but somewhere in sight.

Well that's a rather high standard.

Yes, indeed.
I have a selection of them that I treasure very much.
As I said, Mike is a long time, and frequent, tourer of the Alps. I
remember his claim, over rec.bicyles.something, that he had been the
first U.S.citizen to have riden over 'all' the Swiss passes. And I
recall some dispute over it.

Last time I heard from him, this past summer, he had just gone over
the Grimsel and Furka, mainly to commemorate a fellow rider who had
just passed away, after demanding that his ashes be spread over the
Rhone Glatscher.

His present @-mail address should be .

Sergio
Pisa
Old December 6th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default OT - Spelling

Sergio Servadio of Pisa wrote:
On 3 Dic, 07:23, sergio wrote:
beautiful

Again!
As you see I have no authomatic spelling machine.

Firefox has a spell checker for Google Groups users, and Thunderbird [1]
has a spell checker for people with traditional Usenet feeds.

Both are free downloads.

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/about/whatismozilla.html

[1] NOT this Thunderbird! http://www.bumwine.com/tbird.html

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

French Alps and Paris to Dakar ride report Jeff Orum Rides 0 December 9th 07 05:34 AM
A Ride on the Alps (reprint in italian) sergio Rides 0 June 1st 07 05:38 PM
I had a GREAT ride in! EuanB Australia 7 October 25th 05 05:36 AM
O.T. A great ride! John Rides 0 July 18th 05 02:37 PM
Chilly Hilly - Great ride and great weather cheg General 5 March 1st 04 08:02 PM