Should there be a rec.sports.helmets newsgroup?

Old August 23rd 04, 12:47 AM
Jeff Potter

Default Should there be a rec.sports.helmets newsgroup?

Just wondering.

All helmet threads in all outdoor sports could be directed there.

Or maybe a rec.sports.safety?

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com
Old August 23rd 04, 01:51 AM
AustinMN

Jeff Potter wrote:
Just wondering.

All helmet threads in all outdoor sports could be directed there.

Or maybe a rec.sports.safety?

rec.bicycles.helmet-wars has been proposed on occasion. Don't know what
ever became of it. In any case, all helmet battles would simply be
cross-posted to rec.bicycles.misc anyway, so it wouldn't make any practical
difference...except give people the option of arguing about whether
helmet-wars were on-topic for a.b.misc.

Austin

Old August 23rd 04, 02:38 AM
Frank Krygowski

Jeff Potter wrote:
Just wondering.

All helmet threads in all outdoor sports could be directed there.

Alternately, those who don't want to read the helmet threads could,
perhaps, just not read the helmet threads.

I know it seems radical, but hey, it just might work!

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old August 23rd 04, 03:59 AM
Leo Lichtman

If it came out anything like the helmet safety threads in this NG, I'll
would be sure not to sign up. After reading dozens and dozens of posts I
don't think I have seen anything new in quite a while. Even the insults are
getting stale.

Old August 23rd 04, 05:39 AM
RogerDodger

Leo Lichtman Wrote:
If it came out anything like the helmet safety threads in this NG, I'll
would be sure not to sign up. After reading dozens and dozens of post
don't think I have seen anything new in quite a while. Even th
insults are
getting stale.

Sounds like a boo/horray ejaculation Leo - of the type outlined b
C.L.Stevenson.

No cognitive content - nothing but a hiss and boo.

Roge

--
RogerDodger

Old August 23rd 04, 08:07 AM
Leo Lichtman

"RogerDodger" wrote: Sounds like a boo/horray ejaculation Leo - of the
type outlined by C.L.Stevenson. No cognitive content - nothing but a hiss
and boo.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, Mr. Dodger--I choose not to let you draw me into a pointless, endless
argument. This is what I was objecting to in the other threads, and I
realize now that you are one of the main contributors.

Old August 23rd 04, 10:40 PM
the black rose

Jeff Potter wrote:
Just wondering.

All helmet threads in all outdoor sports could be directed there.

Or maybe a rec.sports.safety?

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com

Well, interesting idea, but then you'd deprive individuals of strong
convictions of a great religious war. Can't have that.

;-)

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old August 24th 04, 05:27 AM
RogerDodger

Leo Lichtman Wrote:
"Sorry, Mr. Dodger--I choose not to let you draw me into a pointless
endless
argument. This is what I was objecting to in the other threads, and I
realize now that you are one of the main contributors.

Dear Leo, Was it my design to lure you out of your hole and onto th
web?

I happen to agree with you, in part, the argument on helmets is long
tedious, repetitious, exasperating and more ad nauseum.

But who is to blame for that?

It is our obstreporous opponents who make this so. They prevaricate
they evade, they deny, they try do distract and dismiss - in short the
cannot abide challenge or criticism of their precious helme
hypotheses.

If a view suffers from errors why is held to so fast? What motivate
this desparate clinging to this illusiory view?
What motivates their fierce and determined refusal to countenanc
criticism and refusal to acknowledge errors and accomodate and adjus
to new conficting information?
Why do these false beliefs perservere rather than be simply jettisone
as erroneous? How can you explain this tenacious clinging? What is it
worth?

The two core helmet hypotheses (aka illusions) helmet efficacy and th
prevalence of the feared hobgoblin H.I. - look and see how th
opponents throw up so much dust to obscure and avoid examining th
foundations and ground under the central issues.

Some people hold strong views but haven't the courage or perhaps th
capacity to articulate them - moral dumbfounding besets them.

Familiar with the three monkeys?
One with hands over its ears - it doesn't want to hear any challenge
to its cherished illusions.
Another with hands covering its eyes - it doesn't want to see any thin
that contradicts its pernicious predeterminations.
The third monkey is apparent in Jeff Potter - would cover the mouth o
those who would speak of things that challenge and contradict thei
mendacious dogma. This monkey would petition for support to exile o
silence dissent - go away with you I don't want to hear what you hav
to say - they would say.

Are you embodying any of these monkeys?

Helmet Phantasmagoria est la bellé indifference?

Roger
~~~~~~~~~~~~

"On The Tarantulas

Behold, this is the hole of the tarantula. Do you wantto see th
tarantula itself? Here hangs its web; touch it, that it tremble!
There it comes willingly, welcome tarantula! Your polystyrene scab an
black symbol sits atop your head; and I also know what sits in you
soul...Wherever you bite black scabs grow; your poison makes your sou
whirl.

...I shall bring your secrets to light; therefore I laugh in your face
with my laughter of the heights. Therefore I tear at your webs, tha
your rage may lure you out from your lie-holes and your malice may lea
out from behind the mask of your weasel words.
The tarantulas tyrannomania would have it otherwise...

(Nietzsche - Zarathrustra modified to fit this particular prejudice.

--
RogerDodger

Old August 24th 04, 02:02 PM
Jeff Potter

RogerDodger wrote in message ...
[ ]
The third monkey is apparent in Jeff Potter - would cover the mouth of
those who would speak of things that challenge and contradict their
mendacious dogma. This monkey would petition for support to exile or
silence dissent - go away with you I don't want to hear what you have
to say - they would say.

ERROR. Please retract.

I suggested exiling the ENTIRE discussion.

I said NOTHING about sides or challenge or dogma and no such
orientation can be attributed to me. Any such attribution is ERROR.

Do you want to be known for being WRONG, RD?

I suggest exiling BOTH the dogmatists and their challengers...on BOTH
sides. Because BOTH derail every thread they can onto their pet topic,
which itself is homeless, which I proposed correcting.

Do not lump me onto a side of this beast. I'm not lumpable.

--JP