Should there be a rec.sports.helmets newsgroup?

Old August 25th 04, 02:43 AM
RogerDodger

Jeff Potter Wrote:
RogerDodger wrote i
message ...
[ ]
The third monkey is apparent in Jeff Potter - would cover the mout

of
those who would speak of things that challenge and contradict their
mendacious dogma. This monkey would petition for support to exile or
silence dissent - go away with you I don't want to hear what yo

have
to say - they would say.

ERROR. Please retract.

I suggested exiling the ENTIRE discussion.

I said NOTHING about sides or challenge or dogma and no such
orientation can be attributed to me. Any such attribution is ERROR.

Do you want to be known for being WRONG, RD?

I suggest exiling BOTH the dogmatists and their challengers...on BOTH
sides. Because BOTH derail every thread they can onto their pet topic,
which itself is homeless, which I proposed correcting.

Do not lump me onto a side of this beast. I'm not lumpable.

--JP

Fair comment, Jeff - perhaps I've tarred you with the brus
inappropriatly.
But - exiling, censoring, silencing - all would entail the continuatio
of the present (or previous) situation where the error is continue
unabated.

So, given that silencing of the subject does allow the error t
persist, then how can those who argue for silencing or exiling separat
themselves from the claim that that is in effect a de facto support fo
the obvious consequence that follows from suppression? I would argu
that they cannot - unless they engage in self-deception or bad faith
or hypocrisy.

The argument for intellectual integrity is what is called for here
as George Sorel replied when asked what is the most important metho
needed in the moral (social) sciences - his answer - "honesty". No
shying away because a debate is highly contentious, not hiding awa
from facts that upset our applecart of prejudices. Exiling, censorin
or silencing won't lead to resolution, ah but resolution is not wha
our obstinate opponents want - at some level I'm sure they know thei
position is untenable but they haven't the courage to put thei
convictions under the spotlight of critical scrutiny - no, better t
dismiss, deny, distract or deflect...anything but confront reality.

Jeff - you may not be lumpable - no argument there - but your vie
expressed has allowed you to become meat in my sandwich.

Roger
Remember George Orwell's 1984? What happened to truth, or discussion o
it, there

--
RogerDodger

Old August 30th 04, 05:10 PM
Claire Petersky

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message

Alternately, those who don't want to read the helmet threads could,
perhaps, just not read the helmet threads.

One of the really nice things about being gone for more than a week is being
able to mark all the helmet threads as "read" all at once, rather than
having to do it piecemeal each time I visit the newsgroup.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old August 30th 04, 05:30 PM
Frank Krygowski

Claire Petersky wrote:

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message

Alternately, those who don't want to read the helmet threads could,
perhaps, just not read the helmet threads.

One of the really nice things about being gone for more than a week is being
able to mark all the helmet threads as "read" all at once, rather than
having to do it piecemeal each time I visit the newsgroup.

Right! The technology make it easy on those who aren't interested. I
do the same for lots of threads.

And BTW, it works just as well on a daily basis. You only have to read
what you want to.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

Old August 30th 04, 05:46 PM
Claire Petersky

Claire Petersky wrote:

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message

Alternately, those who don't want to read the helmet threads could,
perhaps, just not read the helmet threads.

One of the really nice things about being gone for more than a week is

being
able to mark all the helmet threads as "read" all at once, rather than
having to do it piecemeal each time I visit the newsgroup.

Right! The technology make it easy on those who aren't interested. I
do the same for lots of threads.

And BTW, it works just as well on a daily basis. You only have to read
what you want to.

I disagree with the above statement -- it is a much greater hassle to delete
them on a daily basis.

Old August 30th 04, 06:48 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Claire Petersky wrote:

"Frank Krygowski" wrote:
Claire Petersky wrote:
"Frank Krygowski" wrote:

Alternately, those who don't want to read the helmet threads could,
perhaps, just not read the helmet threads.

One of the really nice things about being gone for more than a week is
being able to mark all the helmet threads as "read" all at once, rather
than having to do it piecemeal each time I visit the newsgroup.

Right! The technology make it easy on those who aren't interested. I
do the same for lots of threads.

And BTW, it works just as well on a daily basis. You only have to read
what you want to.

I disagree with the above statement -- it is a much greater hassle to
delete them on a daily basis.

If this is something that frequently annoys you, you might consider looking
into a newsreader that allows you to "ignore threads with this subject" or
similar. I believe there are many out there that have these features; I
won't recommend the one I use, which is not particularly "user friendly".

If you have such a feature, you basically say "don't show me posts with
this subject (or reference id, ...) any more", and you won't see any of the
daily followups.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding.

Old August 30th 04, 09:13 PM
Frank Krygowski

DRS wrote:

You're using OE. You can create message rules to delete or mark as read
almost anything. You can do it if the subject line contains the word
"helmet" or you can be more specific. Or, if you're actually interested in
a particular topic or posts from a particular person you can set them the be
highlighted by colour. There are other options as well.

For most threads, I use a far simpler technique: I simply don't read
the messages.

I'm always puzzled when others imply they don't do this. Is that caused
by a particular newsreader, or is it some personal thing?